Headphone settings for parametric and convolution equalizer

Any more of these convolution files I can try for my headphones

I’m looking for soemthing that would pretty mun De Ess files as they play. Lol. I have treble sensitive ears… Please help. Where else other than the main source to get more eq convolution files to try out to see which I like?

Try cutting your own: https://audiodigitale.eu/?p=285? If it’s the top range you want rid of then take a slightly more “eq” approach possibly. They’re supposed to be nice cans, if you have to really change the sound there’s something amiss.

I have sensitive hearing due to war.

I’ll probably create a thread for this in time. I’ve been playing with creating theses filters from scratch using the application bundled with the project. While doing that I’ve started working on some code to make what I want to do easier. This made it straightforward enough to run out a utility to make these a little more accessible to Roon users.

I’ve knocked out a little web application based on the project, it’s currently quite limited in scope. It lists all of the headphones with oratory1990 results available next to a big button that downloads a Roon friendly zip file of convolution filters. The downloaded file can be uploaded to Roon using the DSP Convolution Filter functionality as described in this thread.

This is real minimal viable product stuff, so these aren’t all the headphone filters available. My next change is to add the “best available filter” where oratory results aren’t available. The logic is a little hinky for aggregating multiple result sources and this is only an evening’s work.

You can try the application at:

https://phones.killdozer.uk/

Use the search to find your headphones and download if available. My aim is to allow people to generate custom filters (anyone fancy linear over minimal phase?) for their phones but that’s still a few pull requests away. Speaking of which if anyone’s curious/paranoid about the code my changes can be seen on this pull request.

Trying out a shiny set of headphone filters might be a nice way to enjoy the upcoming 1.8 release.

Enjoy the music.

10 Likes

Hi Carl,

I will try this with my Denon ah-9200. Great work anyway!

Kind regards
Tom

1 Like

If anyone is more DIY inclined I’ve got a Docker image or two. One for the web app and then some CLI based ones that will generate:

• slightly heavier (higher quality?) 24 bit/32-bit filters rather than the default 16-bit ones
  • filters across the full range of frequencies, so adding 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192 explicitly
  • the choice to generate linear phase rather than minimal phase filters

I’ve not published them anywhere yet as they’re for my use and there’s no documentation yet. If anyone’s interested I’ll push them to DockerHub as is. You’ll then need to zip the results as well :wink:

Would love to try.
I have sensitivity between 1k and 5k
Will any of those help tame those things down
Things like claps, snares ect?

Hi, so the conclusion is that no further adjustment is needed with the zip file and convolution?
Thanks for sharing the experience
Regards
Albert

Hi @Albert_Redrado I’ll confirm that this is the case, the convolution filters have headroom adjustments baked in as it were.

@Michael_Harris the headroom adjustment does necessitate pushing up the volume a little.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your input. Much appreciated!

1 Like

No problem, FYI I’m working on this a little ATM: https://phones.killdozer.uk/ if you can find your phones there you can download a Roon ready zip of the best filters available for your headphones.

5 Likes

Carl yes I find it needs about 4 or 5 DB increase to get to the same pre-convolution volume level.
On amps with lower power output and relatively hard to drive headphones like my Sundara’s

Given that I tend to turn off Headroom management as by default that takes another 3DB off
@Albert_Redrado I hope this information is useful to you.

Mike

2 Likes

This is great! I have been using oratory1990 .wav files and .zip them myself… What is the source of your .wav files?

p.s. using the HD 800 zip download now…

It’s the AutoEQ project itself, so currently I’m just indexing the available oratory results and serving them zipped. At home I’m generating my own filters using the project but that needs a few Python smarts. I’m planning to offer a custom filter generation page per headphones here, again all based on the original project data (measurements, targets, etc.).

FWIW I write open-source software for a living and am not doing this with any commercial aims. I just think it’s a cool project that could do with more exposure. It’s also a good way of learning about some of the finer points of correction filters for me.

A “roadmap” currently looks like:

• add the other results (crinacle, etc.) so that the “best” results set is available on the landing page;
  • create an individual headphones page that shows all results available and offers them “Roon ready”, i.e. zipped;
  • providing a “design my filter” page that offers control over the basic parameters for creating custom filters, i.e. choose measurements, target, and play with bass boost and choice of minimum phase/linear; and
  • improve the above.
7 Likes

Very cool project - bookmarked and very much look forward to watching it progress…

1 Like

It is!, Thanks!!

1 Like

In addition to these corrections, or even standalone, you can add your custom filter via Parametric EQ.
Just copy the following setup from the screenshot for starters with only one filter enabled and play with the settings to tune it to your liking:

Frequency defines the center of the filter.
Gain determines the maximum attenuation at the center frequency.
Q is the bandwidth of the filter with larger numbers making it ever narrower.

Just remember to keep the phones level low when changing things and no one’s going to be hurt!

2 Likes

Thanks so much.
I was able to resolve my issues with Oeksound Spiff vst3 plug in for audirvana
And it tames transients without fidelity loss.

1 Like

Cool, appreciate your work. I downloaded the Denon AH9200 filter and prefer the 48k setup. Thnx!

2 Likes

Thank you very much for doing this. I downloaded the zip file for my headphones today from your site, and it was simplicity itself to implement. I’ve really enjoyed yours and the OP’s help in this thread. Happy listening!

1 Like