Headphone settings for parametric and convolution equalizer

I just found this, they recomputed all of the convolution filters with a new limited scope equalization for thousands of headphones:

2 Likes

Has anyone tried these to see if they make a difference against the previous set of convolution filters?

1 Like

Oddly enough, I tried to switch the new ones out with the current filters I have within Roon and I got a failure message. Is it possible if someone else can check them out as well and maybe see if I was the only person who experienced an error?

I had to load the .wav files through a weird way (inspect element) because it wouldn’t let me download them directly from the download button within GitHub for each file.

Ok I will have a look at this later.
I had some fun the first time I looked at this.
@killdozer put them all into zip files to make it easier, not that I imagine he wants to go through that again.
I was mostly interested if they had less impact on the flatness of the sound as I have seen multiple complaints about the original taking the life out of some headphones.

2 Likes

It’s all code, I just need to pull the GH project and rebuild the docker box, done shortly :wink:
In fact the zip up is done “auto-magically” on request, then cached (hackily) for future users.

Just looked and right now this doesn’t affect the work I’ve done. I’m only offering the oratory results ATM and they’ve not changed. I’m going to bring more results and headphones online next weekend if schedule allows and these will be available then.

3 Likes

That’s the GitHub way, in truth it’s a site that does a lot more than provide downloads. Individual file download is a bit of an edge case for them really.

1 Like

:rofl: I just checked the files I downloaded again and it changed the file to a .wav but it really was just a .txt file of encrypted gibberish. I tried it again but instead did inspect page source before it loaded the broken download page and I was able to get the file correctly. I have a Mac so the “save target as” feature is different

Never mind, I got them to work and they sound slightly quieter and cleaner

1 Like

Quieter and cleaner that without a convolution filter or than the original filters?

The convolution filters include headroom management built-in so I found that I needed to increase the volume by about 3-5 Db to get to the same Audio level .

Carl thanks for the effort, makes it easier for many, as I know people struggle with the download mechanism :+1:t2:

1 Like

Anyone got decent filter for Focal Elear the one on AutoEQ is gash.

Some do the ones for my Elears are awful.

Yes I know, you were one of the people that I was thinking of in that.

The latest Meze ones though with the brainwavz pads is actually very good and using that for the bedroom rig now, that gets the most listening time as its the escape zone during lockdown.

Meze classics? I am planning on a pair of those

Best value out there, love them, fun listen without DSP . Was my first venture into good phones and been very happy with them perfect for bedroom listening and not annoying the other half.

I am lucky enough that my wife tolerates me playing open back in the living room. She also enjoys symphonic black metal too, so I have to count my blessings.

Does not like traditional Hard Metal though, so that goes on the headphones, hence the wanting the Meze closed back.

Hello, I tried convolution filters for AKG K812 headphones… It was very different. Tried to get into the new curves but went back to roon basic DSP with crossover only. Big effort from jaakkopasannen here in autoEq thou’.

Thanks Derek and yes a huge effort to get these collected.
They take time to get used too and not for you if you like the signature sound from headphones…
You also have to give the volume a serious boost to get to the same volume level

Mike