Headphone settings for parametric and convolution equalizer

The answer is… Sometimes I’m not very smart.

One needs to enable the headphone convolution filter and then save it as a DSP preset. Roon then remembers.

At least that is what worked for me.

3 Likes

Doug you got that right, and mine certainly remember which device they were on, I occasionally use Convolution and upsampling on a couple of my headphone DACs and I have saved a few of these as DSP presets and they seem to stick there until I change them again.
The only time I have an issue is when I use my Matrix Audio mini-i Pro 3 which if I take the headphone socket out it play’s through my Amp, and that’s not great, so I have stopped using the filters on that device.

Correct and once these DSP presets have been saved they can then be enabled for the current/active audio zone using any device that works as a Roon control (iPhone, iPad, smart phone, Android tablet, laptop, etc.) by clicking on the little speaker icon in the lower right hand corner and selecting DSP from the pop up menu.

Very impressive. Thanks for sharing!

The convolution filters is the same that make manually the ecualization with the data?

Thank you, my IEMs are listed here!

Make sure to explore the Full Index rather than just the recommended profiles. Personally, I found the Innerfidelity preset for the HE-4XX superior to the one by Oratory1990, which appears on the ‘recommended’ list.

1 Like

New to Roon, and to PEQ. I’ve been using the Jaakko Pasanen autoEq data for all of the phones listed of the ones I own, and big improvement, no surprises there. I’ve started to make my own for a pair of Yamaha HPH-MT5 phones, and want to try and use his method for establish the correct PEQ settings using this method:

Which if I understand correctly, is a method for calculating the difference between a Harman target curve and a measured FR plot for the chosen headphone; has anyone tried it? How straightforward was it?
Mt starting point was to compare a harman target to a raw FR plot visually and start there - not particuarly accurate, but a starting point!

@killdozer
thanks so much for converting the different parametric EQ profiles to Convolution zip files. This makes life a lot easier.
I have some parametric EQ files that are not from the sources you normally use, for example this one that was posted by Weissglut on headfi:

Is there any way I can convert this profile to a Convolution zip file?
Thanks a lot

In that case I’d just use Roon’s PEQ. It should be possible to use REW to do the conversion, here’s a guide, if you want to try. Would be interested knowing how you get on.

Edit A little context, the PEQ settings from autoeq are derived from the measurement data used to create the WAVs, they aren’t used to generate the WAVs.

I’ve been struggling to make a decent EQ profile for my Yamaha HPH MT5s. Managed to make a 10 point PEQ dataset, but only 1 wav file, why was that? I’m redoing it but with a lot more data points from the source FR plot, but want to generate a convolute filter as well.

Thanks @killdozer. I think I will stick with the PEQ, given its only one profile and it only has 4 filter bands
Not sure if I read your EDIT correctly. Are the convolution WAV files more accurate than the PEQs because they are derived directly from the measurement data with a higher degree of accuracy. Going from measurement data to PEQ and then from PEQ to WAVs would be losing accuracy. Right?

That’s it, the level of granularity and consistency across different application are the main advantages of convolution files. This section and the following one on PEQ from the Autoeq docs give some helpful info.

Edit this is a typical set of measurement data used to generate Autoeq filters. There’s nearly 700 data points, which shows what you’re up against :wink:

I have no intention to take up the :japanese_ogre: challenge, thank you very much
I’ll stick with your convolution files. THANKs for producing them, you are a hero in my book.

1 Like

Thank you. I received a pair of Drop Hifiman HE-X4 today, and this has stopped me thinking they were a terrible investment. Makes a huge difference!

2 Likes

I have recently unearthed my Sony MH750s (from an old Xperia). I have only now discovered what a gem these IEMs are and that such a hype surrounds them
Sony budget earphone discussion thread (MH750, MH755, MH1C, EX300, etc) | Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org
I have looked at the different EQ profiles available:
@killdozer convolution file seems to be based on Jakko’s listing of oratory1990’s “harman_in-ear_2019v2” profile.
It seems there are two more recent eq profiles by oratory1990:
Sony MH750.pdf (dropbox.com)
Sony MH750 (oratory1990 target).pdf (dropbox.com)
I prefer the last one to the two others by a margin. @killdozer Is there a specific reason you used the older one for your convolution files?

1 Like

Hi @jacobacci it’s simply a case of these been the only measurement data available on Auto EQ. The measurement data files used.to generate the WAV convolution filters consist of hundreds of adjustments at very small frequency intervals.

@killdozer Understood, you base your WAVs on measurements and correct to Harman target. If oratory wants to use another target, that would be up to him
Make sense

Hello everyone,
I’m new to the Roon family and loving it. Every day I discover a new setting that bumps my listening experience up another notch. I should introduce my gear before diving into my latest eq experience. I have an SMSL SU-9 dac that I feed via USB directly from my PC, and this feeds a Flux FA12-S headphone amplifier. (The amp builder is located in Ukraine, so I’ve been worried about him–haven’t heard how he is doing.) My phones are Sennheiser HD650. As for the parametric eq, I tried pushing up frequencies in the hearing range of consonants (1k-8k) just slightly to compensate for mild hearing loss (I’ve been a drummer for over 35 years). But whether I increased the gain on these frequencies or not, I was getting piercing high midrange on some songs. For me, adjusting the sound was a conflict between compensating for hearing loss and putting up with uncomfortable congestion that occurred. Then I tried the Oratory1990 suggested parametric eq settings for the HD650. With my combination of gear, the change was incredible. At first, I was dubious because it was pulling DOWN some of the frequencies I thought I needed in order to hear the details. Actually, it had been the congestion in that 1k-8k range that was causing the issue–apparently, HD650s are overly hot in that area. The oratory settings created the perfect audio illusion for listening: it pulled the instruments apart into their own spaces, created more depth and low-end, and I realized that the low end had been very one-dimensional before. The vocals had more space and therefore came to the front a bit more–that solved the problem posed by hearing loss. Most importantly, every genre of music and type of production sounds correct–no more noodling on the fly to make one particular song listenable. To me, that’s when I know I have a setting that is right–when I can set it and forget it. The Senns have never sounded so full, rich, and yet detailed, with no hint of distortion. Thanks to the designer of these outstanding oratory charts!

2 Likes

@killdozer I have been using your convolution files for some time, and am thankful for all the work you’ve done. However, I can no longer access the page at https://phones.killdozer.uk. I get a “502 Bad Gateway” error. I’ve tried a couple of Internet providers and a VPN, but get the same result. Is there a problem with the site?

1 Like