Headphone settings for parametric and convolution equalizer

Hi @Toolio there is and I know why. I’ll have this back in the next 12 hours, thanks for the heads up :+1:

2 Likes

@killdozer Thanks for the quick response. I look forward to the return of the site.

1 Like

That’s all fixed now and thanks for the heads up @Toolio

1 Like

@killdozer home you don’t mind me reviving this thread.

Have been using your convolution filters for headphone listening on my room home setup, and now wanted to do something similar using ARC.

ARC needs PEQ - so I just wanted to know the best way to get these - using the same targets as your convolution downloads.

1 Like

Find your headphones on here - https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results and here you will find the PEQ bands that can be entered into ARC’s Muse Equalisation setting.

I like that you can have multiple filter settings for one device playback connection, something currently not possible in Roon - you have to load the different presets for the Endpoint, you can’t have multiple presets as Endpoints.

2 Likes

Thank for the help.

Have loaded up - now to try….

You can also use their nice new web app that also allows you to customise them as well. You can use with parametric eq setting which maps to Muses 5 bands quite nicely.

1 Like

Translation, please?

Here is what I think you are saying:

1. Follow link to autoeq.app
  2. Select headphones
  3. Select Equalizer App = Custom Parametric Eq
  4. Click Download arrow, which produces a .txt file of the settings
  5. In Roon>Muse>Parametric Eq filter, manually input the values from the downloaded .txt file
  6. Save preset
  7. Listen, rinse and repeat as needed.

Do I have it right?

Thanks for the helpful link and input. This is great stuff.

2 Likes

Yes that is correct.

1 Like

I’m enjoying experimenting with these convo presets on my 4 sets of headphones following informative guidance from @killdozer @Simon_Arnold3 @simon_pepper and others on this forum. Thanks, folks.
Noobie question: In the Roon KB instructions re: Convolution, the example screen shot shows the filters for SRC and PEQ enabled along with Convo. And Crossfeed is disabled. My intuition is just the opposite. If using Convo, it seems that PEQ and SRC should be disabled. And for headphones, it seems that Crossfeed should still be enabled even with Convo.
I’ll continue to experiment to see what permutation sounds best, but I’d be interested to know what others are doing.

1 Like

None of the others are necessary they are optional. I can’t stand crossfeed myself so never use it. Upsampling again I find pointless others will argue it’s better to upsample to the nearest native rate the dac internal over-samples to as it reduces its load and Roon has more horsepower. Again personally not noticed any improvement and let my dacs do what they are designed to do rather than waste more energy. You can use PEQ to create your own head curve that’s more suited to your hearing after the balancing of the convolution. Again this is purely optional you may or may not benefit from it.

1 Like

Given that it is not possible to have multiple zones using a single endpoint, despite the feature request (One Device, Multiple Speakers/Headphones or By-track, by-album or output device DSP settings) being raised several years ago, I have stopped using DSP for my headphone listening with Roon.

I found that after applying the DSP on the source endpoint for Headphones, I would forget to remove it for Speaker listening and then panic that something had broken.

Plus after making some upgrades on my source (2nd power supply for the Naim NDS network player) I am preferring playback via the Dan Clark Audio Aeon2 Noire’s without any EQ.

I still use ‘FR per headphone’ type on ARC, but there you can save different presets on the phone depending the listening mode (with doogle DAC, in-car, etc.)

Most, if not all, Dan Clark Audio headphones are designed to come as close as possible to the Harmon curve without the need for equalization. So it makes sense that you prefer not using any EQ.

1 Like

Roon never ceases to amaze me. I had no idea it could do anything like this, and then tonight when I start messing around with a new set of phones I discover this. The convolution filter really smooths out the Beyer DT 900 Pro X. I added back a db or so at around 4100hz and they sound great!

2 Likes

Thanks for the link, yes this will help :grinning:

Has anybody seen settings for the new Sennheiser HD 490 Pro by any chance…?

If you go to the Index page of jaakkopasanen/AutoEq you can do a searh for a specific headphone or IEM.

Spoiler: The Sennheiser HD 490 Pro is not yet listed.

You don’t say :roll_eyes: