One Device, Multiple Speakers/Headphones

I stream from Roon to my Auralic Vega. The Vega drives my speaker setup, my electrostatic headphone setup, and my dynamic headphone setup. When I switch between headphones and speakers I have to go in and edit the DSP settings and the Crossfeed settings. It is really a big PIA.

Two possible solutions:

1. Give a way to switch between different configurations from within the Signal Path window. This would save time and also make it easy to check that you have the correct configuration enabled. No more discovering that you have been listening to your speakers with your headphone PEQ.

2. Allow users to create a virtual device. For example, I could create a configuration for my electrostatic headphone setup and save it off as “Auralic Vega/STAX”. I could create one for my dynamic headphones and save it as “Auralic Vega/MrSpeaker” etc. That way, switching setups is as simple as selecting the Device in Roon.

2 Likes

This would be an excellent option for those using external processing, like Sonarworks Tru-Fi.

This.

Meridian Sooloos has this.

1 Like

This functionality is still high on my list of things to improve Roon.

So many times I forget to turn off the DSP setting for my headphones following ‘on-ear’ listening, usually late at night, and the next day wonder why the speaker playback sounds completely off.

So multiple Zones per device with individual DSP settings per Zone, please.

2 Likes

The virtual device option is very interesting.
I have one endpoint that I use to drive 2 different pairs of headphones plus as a fixed out to another headphone Amp with 3rd and 4th sets of headphones.
Ive caught myself forgetting to change DSP setting a few times.

2 Likes

@danny @mike Have a new pair of headphones which will be used with a Convolution filter under DSP.
My headphone amplifier is part of the same Roon Endpoint as my Speakers and not a separate Endpoint and so under Roon part of the same Zone.

It is a real pain to select the required Zone and then apply a DSP preset setting to it, to use for headphone listening, and then when finished remove it, so the Endpoint works against speakers with no DSP applied.

Could we have multiple Zones using the same Endpoint with a different DSP preset applied per Zone.

I believe this was a capability in Soolous, so you identified the User case back then.

This has been raised here as a Feature Request/Suggestion and attracted some Votes.

1 Like

Bump for this release, as I yet again forget to setup/remove the DSP Profile setting for my Roon Endpoint source that plays either through Speakers or Headphones.
If we could have the ability to duplicate an Roon Endpoint into different zones, each with its own default DSP profile (or no profile for Speakers, just Headphones).

1 Like

One more bump from me. Would be nice to duplicate a zone / endpoint to use it with headphones and certain DSP settings while using the same endpoint with speakers and other DSP settings.

1 Like

Yes, it would be nice, but…

I am tending not to apply the DSP Convolution filter for my headphone listening, as I keep forgetting to remove it, for Speaker listening - which is crazy, why should I adopt a different behaviour not using an available capability, to accommodate software, which could easily offer multiple endpoints for the same device, allowing a default DSP setting per endpoint, be it Speaker or Headphones.

@mike Can you help here? I believe this was a feature available with the Sooloos software, so the user case is recognised and understood.

1 Like

Don’t forget to upvote this feature request. Only five people have.