Headphones thread (show us yer cans)! [2018-09]

I have been eyeballing those, but at the same time my interest has focus somewhat on electrostatics, like the Hifiman Shangrila Jr or Stax SR009 MkII with a suitable drive unit.
All of these are uncomfortably expensive though! :wink:

https://www.mrspeakers.com/headphones-22/voce-electrostatic-headphone.html

This is nice one. Listened to Voce at a demo. About $3k.

1 Like

I was intrigued by electrostatics as well, with several voices here (@Ludwig, @ncpl, @RBM, @Carl I think). Not just expensive but the special amp requirement — I have more than location. The Susvara is demanding but at least compatible, so I have two locations for them, four with the Audeze).

Still intrigued by electrostatics, maybe when I grow up…

4 Likes

Most of my listening at home is with electrostats from my BHSE using the Voce or SR009. I also use the HD800 from my LAu.

On the road it"s JH audio Roxanne.

Sometimes the Sony WH 1000xm2.

Hifiman HE400S Sennheiser hd 600

Exactly how I feel - closed back for quiet times, open back for soundstage, high impedance for desktop use, low impedance for mobile use. The more the merrier!

3 Likes

I agree 100%.

I’d take the SR007 over the SR009 any day of the week, although I understand why people are impressed by the latter :slight_smile:

My SR007 (mk2) sound quite a bit “warmer” than my SR009. I sometimes prefer that “warmer” sound. I also occasionally prefer the spatial impression the SR007 create (more like sitting in the middle of a larger concert hall as opposed to sitting close to the stage in a club [=SR009]). But all in all the SR009 are more honest/neutral IMO and have much better “timing” (to my ears)…

Just in:

Lindemann Limetree Network, streamer (on wifi) - dac - headphone amp in one little box to drive my Focal Elear.

6 Likes

How does the Limetree sound?

Tough question, my ears are not that good (cant hear a difference between 24/96 and 16/44), but it is definitely a step up from the RPI/IQAudio Dac Pro.

May I ask you to provide some more details about the functionality of the Lindemann device in general?

I am looking for an affordable all in one Roon endpoint for headphone listening. From the specifications point of view the Lindemann sounds promising. What is your impression? Is the Lehmann working stable?

Is the volume controllable from the Roon app?

Thanks

Michael

Please see here:

Pretty versatile device. It has its own app (iOS and Android) and is RoonReady, with Tidal, Qobuz, Deezer, Spotify and HighResAudio and DLNA/UPnP. It can upsample everything to DSD256. It has wifi and bluetooth. You can connect a headphone or connect it to your (pre)amplifier. Roon can control the volume.

I only have it for one day now, but pretty happy! Only thing missing is a volume knob, but I can live with that.

1 Like

Did you try any other units before going for this one? If so which ones?

I did not, it’s quite hard to find a non-tinkering device that has a streamer-dac-headphoneamp-wifi in one little box.

True. Wondering as I am using pi to Ifi nano iDSD at the moment but considering an alternative to the pi as I need wireless so this fits the bill as well as the Project S2 Ultra which is cheaper and has no dac which I don’t really need.

But then you will have two boxes. Mine is for next to the couch, so don’t want a stack.

I have two now though as only recently got the Ifi and like it. Mines next to the couch to but I have the room for two small boxes.

btw I used a Pi3B+ / IQAudio Pro dac before this, worked well on wifi and has a headphone out as well. It goes to the bedroom now to drive my Sennheiser HD650.

1 Like