Headphones thread (show us yer cans)! [2018-09]

If I could only choose one, then the Abyss 1266 TC Phi is the keeper. Amazing headphones, but you really have to build the system around it to get the most out of them.

1 Like

Good stuff! I’ve had the GS-X mk2 for a long time, until I decided to switch over to electrotats. Stuck with Headamp though. They make some excellent amplifiers.

Lately been pondering over getting a Holo Audio May dac. Any thoughts on your GS-X mini pairing with the Spring 2? Satisfied?

I actually pair the gsx mini with the matrix audio dac, and the Holo goes with the wa22. The matrix has been awesome with all my amps. For some reason, I don’t really like the Holo and mini pairing.

The Holo May looks really good, and even measures well too. I was pondering between that and this Spring 2 Wild Edition that I ended up getting.

To be honest I am bit torn as to whether to keep the mini. With the wa22 and Holo setup next to it, I find the mini doesn’t do as well as the wa22. Wondering if I should try the mk2 instead. Was also thinking of a formula S/powerman combo…

I’m thinking Utopia or Verite (open) is my next purchase. I know yours are the closed version, but can you compare or advise which you like better? Great setup you have there.

I actually had the Verite Open for a few days, but swapped them for the Closed.

The VO is better in the highs, with better transparency and clarity. But VC is better in mid bass and low end impact. Soundstage is surprisingly pretty similar in my opinion. The VC highs are slightly recessed and perhaps a bit dulled/rolled off, but I felt with the bass and mid section, the VC had a better overall sound signature which I liked.

VC vs Utopia… The Utopia feels technically more superior. Everything from mids and up, the Utopia wins hands down. The highs on the Utopia are superb. Amazing transparency and clarity, without harshness or sibilance.

VC has more midbass than Utopia, making it an overall thicker and fuller sound. But Utopia low end sounds better extended, and it feels like there is a more focused bass and impact.

I have never found the Utopia bass lacking, as some may say. I feel it is just the right amount, and there when needed.

I prefer the VC with a tube amp. It sounds “wrong” on my HPA4, but sings with the WA22. The Utopia sounds great on the Woo, but also does very well with the ss amps.

1 Like

Interesting. But if you don’t like the gs-x mini, you probably won’t like the gs-x mk2 either. They pretty much sound the same, one simply has more power to drive headphones than other.

Ah thanks. U have saved me some money and experimenting. Although I do recall a member on headfi who had both the mk2 and mini and he mentioned the mk2 was better overall.

Sure, I think it’s better, but improving on how the mini already sounds. The signature is not going to change all of a sudden. And I usually advise caution on ‘how much better’ things sound. The differences are usually fairly minimal, not as much as many head-fi’er like to proclaim :wink:

Thanks Gavin for the info on the Utopia and Verite. Are you using the GSX-mini with the 4-pin XLR balanced? It runs everything I have fairly well (including HE6se). I do like my tubed amps warmth though.

Susvara for me! :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Here’s my Corona Bedroom Fix: AK TP1 Headphones, Eleven Audio Broadway Headphone Amp, and AK SP1000.

2 Likes

Hi Robert. Yep I do use the 4 pin balanced out on the mini. Its a nice capable amp for my headphones, except probably the Abyss; it can drive it to a high enough volume but the bass still seems somewhat “lacking” compared to the hpa4/wa22.

1 Like

Nice kit but exceptional photography! Kudos! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here is my home office set up:

• Allo USBridge as endpoint
  • Khadas Tone Board DAC
  • Lake People G100W headphone amp

Headphones…from left to right:

• Bowers and Wilkins P5
  • HifiMan Sundara
  • Bowers and Wilkins P9
  • Bose QC35
  • Sennheiser HD579
  • Sennheiser 660S
  • Beyerdynamic DT770 pro 250ohm
  • Beyerdynamic DT880 Edition 600ohm

I like all of them (almost) and thinking of the next one…probably a Beyer DT1990

4 Likes

new baby :slight_smile:

3 Likes

2nd hand Sennheiser HD800 with new ear pads.

9 Likes

I love mine. Paired it with the SMSL SU-8 and it’s all I will ever need I think.

I just have this itch to listen to some Chord gear.

1 Like

How do they sound with leather pads? I have the HD800S with stock pads.

I’m afraid I can’t comment on the difference as I ditched the pads it came with before listening as they were quite flattened.
The headphones sound amazing but how much of that is down to the new pads I can’t say.
I applied the DSP from the following and that difference I can hear!

Ye I use the autoeq for the majority of my headphones and IEMs too. I have recently been getting in to the stock sounds without mods more and more thought. I think I may have Harman fatigue by EQing all of my phone’s to the same frequency response.