Headphones thread (show us yer cans)! [2018-09]

Very impressive. Which is your go to headphone? I am trying to decide between them.

At home, the Meze Empyrean are my go-tos. They are awesome. I’m very impressed with them. The Audeze LCD-XCs are also excellent, and they have closed backs so have used them when I don’t want to disturb others and when traveling on planes for use with my AK380. But I recently got custom 64Audio A18t IEMs which I now use for traveling or when I don’t want to disturb others so my XCs are now for sale if you are interested:

1 Like

Meze arrived today. Lovely finish and sound. I think my Shures are now regulated to using as BT iems using their adaptor these wipe the floor with my 425’s and pair well with my DAP. Got to love Meze they make quality gear.

6 Likes

Here are mine:

Sony Z1R

3 Likes

HifiMan Ananda for main Yggy and Rag system.

Also have:

Jabra: Elite 75t

Audio Technica: ATH-M50X and ATH-ANC900BT

Mi Headphones - from Xiaomi, when they wanted to start a US retail group, they invited me to be a alpha/beta product tester for them. I didn’t expect much, but they have some good tech in their headphone set. The version I have they don’t seem to offer any more, as it is a open back design, and the new ones listed on their site are closed, even though it still looks like it is semi-open.

3 Likes

Just picked up a JDS Labs El Amp 2 for use with my HD650 headphones - so far am very impressed. It’s a noticeable upgrade on my previous Arcam rHead.

I have been keeping an eye on this and the Element 2 DAC/amp combi. It gets rave reviews everywhere and it’s looks really nice.

I’d happily recommend it - not sure where you’re based but I picked it up in the UK in Easter sales from these folk. IIRC the combined unit was limited by the performance of the DAC though (audibly or otherwise). Just note that the high gain mode is limited to 2.2v input (see manual). As it happens I’m using a higher voltage input and hadn’t realised this limitation but no damage done. Low gain provides more than enough power in this configuration, even with volume levelling and headroom management.

The other option I seriously considered was the Monoprice THX 887 but I have no use for most of the additional functionality, the form factor didn’t suit me so well and it’s not going to be available in the UK for a couple of months.

yeah I saw it on there last week when I ordered my Meze Rai Solo from them, was tempted to get it at the time, but have held off. Currently using DF Red and Cobalt in two different rigs so may just use them as dacs and add this at some point. The EL dac II also gets amazing write ups so whats limiting about the combo it uses the same tech I believe.

I was just going on this review. As to whether it matters, that’s a different question!

Hope you enjoy them :grinning: tbh, this was a bit of a distraction purchase from the Dan Clark Aeon 2 Closed back, which I have been eyeing up for some time after hearing them a while back. It’s made a sufficient difference to the HD650 to at least delay me a while :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Just got mine this morning! Considering the box weighs a ton I was surprised how light they are.

What are you using to drive yours? (I’m using a Luxman DA-250 but am thinking of getting the sister TA-ZH1ES.)

I use the Chord Hugo TT2 mostly.

1 Like

I ordered a Fostex T50RP MK3 recently. I am having so much fun with this can for days now… unbelievable. Sounds great with some no-name hybrid tube headphone amp I own for some time…

@Jim_F Man you have some mighty fine headphone gear. Very impressive. I love my Sony WH-1000XM3 - great set of portable headphones. And those Aeons look pretty nice as well. Are they difficult to drive and/or very demanding of the amplification?

1 Like

Just as I would have suspected and that would be the way I would use the two headphones, i.e. Sony for portable use and the Aeons for serious listening. Enjoy!

Focal Elegia…just added to the headphone collection.

8 Likes

DA&T Q-i (Damping Factor) + iBASSO SR-1

2 Likes

I have these on rotation, and a Utopia which I seemingly don’t have a pic of…

Verite Closed in leopardwood

Abyss 1266 TC Phi

Meze Empyrean

I pair the VC and Meze with a PlusSound X8 cable in gold plated silver. Abyss with the JPS superconductor cable. Utopia with an Arctic Cable silver series and Moon Audio Black Dragon.

I used the Empy with a Benchmark DAC3b and HPA4 stack in my bedroom, and I have another two systems in the lounge in use with the Utopia, VC and abyss.

8 Likes

Ok, this post was in response to someone asking about using his 'cans with a McIntosh headphone amp and needing a possible extended cable.

Why don’t you get a portable setup such as an iFi Micro BL (so you can move around and not worry about connecting to your mac which may not have a great HPA section) and connect it to you phone that can be used as a Roon endpoint. Then connect your headphones to the iFi. I’m willing to bet the iFi’s HPA is better than your mac. With only a $600 outlay for the iFi, don’t spend any more as it’s a slippery slope towards a thinner wallet: HPA, DAC, streamers, cables…you can go crazy for a 15% subjective increase in sound quality. I’ve been there with Abyss, Metrum DACs, JPS cables, Chord, its endless…save your money for a nice Grand Seiko Snowflake watch…now that’s a conversation piece with a potential nice sig. other…

1 Like

Some amazing headphones there , Which ones are your favourite ?
I know it’s a difficult question, but if you could only keep one pair which one would it be ?