Headphones thread (show us yer cans)! [2018-09]

If we’re shooting for 2 hours @ 100dB @ 64mW in our example with music of a dynamic range value of 20, we’re in need of 512mW for the peaks, no headroom.
3dB of headroom let us feel a little safer, so we’re at 1024mW capability.
That should be more than enough for realistic reproduction of even larger ensembles, I’d say.

Happy listening, and you guys better stay safe!

I didn’t mean to explain the units, I know what dB and mW are.
My question is, since typical headphones have a sensitivity of 95 dB/mW or more, if we want to listen as you suggest with peaks of 102 dB, we would need less than 10 mW.

So my question is, do any of you on this thread use a 10 mW amp with your top-grade headphones?

What stand is that white one?

Sorry, i can’t remember the designers name. I bought it several years ago.
There is no text or symbol on it… At that time this stand exists in other colors, too.
I only remember that it was exceptional expensive :wink: But there was the “i want it” factor…

And, to answer your reworded question, as I see it:
Probably no one.
I gather, most are after a sonic signature that caters their tastes.

I have a Sennheiser HD600 and drive it with my battery driven DC-coupled DIY amp, that swings up to 4Vpp at a maximum output current capability of 500mA with the typical 2Vpp line input.
Into the 97 dB@1mW Sennheiser’s load of 300 Ohms, that amounts to a maximum of 53mW, which gives me a bit more than 3dB headroom when doing the 2 hours with 100dB SPL average in my previous post.

I’m happy with what I hear, even tested a couple of well regarded head amps for comparison and didn’t feel the urge to trade.

Any one with the SMSL SP200? Would like some opinions

I have not listen to the SP200 but is it worth waiting for the drop thx one?

Not in the UK getting Drop stuff is not easy and you pay import duty. I can get the standard version of Amazon with no issues and easy return.

1 Like

I use the SMSL SP200 in my second system (conservatory).

Audeze LCD-XC.
Audiophonics DAC I-Sabre ES9038Q2M
Raspberry Pi2 with WiFi dongle
RopieeXL
Horcol 26800mAh Power Bank.
Roon – HQ Player – convert PCM to DSD 128 - ASDM7EC - poly-sinc xtr lp2
The SP200/LCD-XC/ Audiophonics DAC I-Sabre ES9038Q2M works well together.
Fast, detailed, articulate and intimate. Very enjoyable.

The SP200 doesn’t pair as well with my LCD 4 though. The specifications indicate sufficient power for the LCD 4 but I find this combination to sound flat/2 dimensional and lacking dynamics compared to my main amp WA22.

2 Likes

Well I saw an offer on the RME ADI 2, I am weak. Should arrive next week. This headphone lark is costing my loads, but I am now using them more than my main Naim system. Already bought 2 different headphone balanced cables this week one for the Rai Solos and one for 99 Classics so I can use balanced out on my DAP. Becoming my new obsession. Next purchase will likely be some higher up the tree phones and open back to pair with the RME. I like the look of the LCD 2 Classics. When will it end. I now will have 5 X headphone DACs . Need to sell my AudioQuests I suppose as they will be redundant when I get this.

1 Like

Wow that’s a nice wa22! How did u get it with the double colour scheme?

I still keep my AQ Dragonfly Red for portable use .

I took the Wa22 apart and sent the aluminium front panel and transformer tops to a local engineering shop and had them anodised.

Very nicely done! How about the lettering on the front panel? Painted in?

Are those socket savers?

Have dap now so don’t need two of them. I have one of each. Never worked great on Android either. Currently in use in headphone stations around the house. But getting the RME I might consolidate to just one downstairs.

The lettering is grey wax crayon.
All valves are attached via socket savers.

I put this in a separate thread…

So I’ve listening to the HD 820 a lot and I can safely say that the HD 820s compare very favorably with the open back HD 800.

A few other things of note:

They are 300 ohm impedance so they need a fairly powerful headphone amp to make them sing.

They do not seal as well some other closed back headphones, meaning that they bleed some sound to the outside. Not as much as open back headphones but not dead quiet either.

I do intend to do some comparisons to other closed back headphones and report back in a few days.

1 Like

Recently added a Rockna Wavelight DAC which is performing impressively to me thus far!

5 Likes

That looks really nice and clean. Color me impressed.

1 Like