Headphones thread (show us yer cans)! [2018-09]

@jfx I see you have a Bakoon amp. Are you driving speakers with it or just headphones? How do you like it?

I mentioned that I wrote a discussion of the RAAL-Requisite SR1a in a separate thread. Because of its special requirements on amp, and similar requirements of the Susvara, and electrostatics (which I don’t have), it is messy to connect them up to the DAC. And I didn’t want to buy a second DAC…

This problem is not unique to the SR1a, so you might want to take a look at my solution, in two steps:

Works but a bit inconvenient:

More convenient and eliminates risk of frying cans by forgetting settings: RAAL-Requisite SR1a ear-phones - #8 by AndersVinberg

RME ADI 2 in the house, currently fed from Bluesound Node 2 SPDIF. May switch to USB and Pi but where it’s temporarily living this fits. First impression is wow, just greater everything over any of the DACs I currently have. Too many settings to get my head around so this will take time to optimise it.

What other DACs do you have?

Audioquest Dragonfly Black, Red, Cobalt and Ifi Nano iDSD BL, plus my Hiby R5 DAP.

I am surprised someone recognized the Bakoon! It is for the Susvara but I am looking into nearfield options that would work well with it’s 25W. The Susvara sounds great out of the Benchmark HPA4, but it sounds incredible out of the Bakoon, easily the best I’ve heard this headphone sound. Really digs up that last 5-10% of SQ.

This is my first post here. My simple setup consists of Mr Speakers (aka Dan Clark Audio) Ether C Flows (Atlas cable) and a Chord Hugo 2. Core on is my HP desktop streamed to and controlled by a 2018 ipad Pro - the USB C connection works flawlessly. I’m just coming to the end of my 2 week trial and there’s no going back, I love Roon.

9 Likes

Welcome to Roon and the forum @Philip_Levy.

1 Like

Loving my new RME its just made listening so much better,maybe its the display as I love having it on Was listening to my Ifi Nano in my bedroom this morning this absolutley destroys it. Using Deep Harmony extension allows me to control volume from Roon, which you cant do normaly, very happy bunny. Also shows that the Node 2 is not a bad transport at all as it sounds superb. Not sure you need to spend money an expensive streamer, just get a good DAC.

Just some Open Backs to get and I am complete. Considering HD650, HIfiMan Sundara Ananda, LCD2 Classics but do have me eye on a pair of used LCD 2 on ebay at the moment .

And/or a good headphone amp (as with the RME) - I’m really impressed at how much more I’ve enjoyed my headphone listening since moving to the relatively inexpensive JDS Labs El Amp II (from an Arcam rHead).

1 Like

Focal Clear. New set of cans received this afternoon. Sound great.

5 Likes

I’ve had my eye on the p-750u for a while; I currently use the headphone amp on my Luxman DA-250. A quick question–if you’re only a headphone user like me, do you need a pre amp in between the DAC and the headphone amp?

I’m thinking of trading in the DA-250 for a D-03X CD player / DAC, and connecting it directly into the p-750u. Would this work, or would I need a pre amp in between? Thx

I have it set up both ways. I think the preamp helps smooth things out using the same headphone amp.

Benchmark DAC3 > W4S STP-SE2 > Amps and Sound Kenzie Encore Headphone amp

Benchmark DAC3 >Amps and Sound Kenzie Encore headphone amp

I have the same configuration substituting a Headamp GSX-mini headphone amp for the Kenzie Encore. In both cases I find using the preamp is smoother.

I have a preamp in my office system as well. No preamp works fine, but you should notice an improvement with a preamp

1 Like

What Power supply unit is that with socket icons on it?

PS Audio Power Plant P12.
Power regenerator.

2 Likes

Hi,

No, technically you dont need a preamp in this combo. It works.

But if you add antother source and/or want the possibility to help on old bad recordings with bass/trebble/comp(loudness), than you need it.

I am not sure that this would be an upgrade… The DA-250 is a fine machine. You should compare in your home with your seup both devices before you decide.

Best regards
Chris

1 Like

Definitely agree with you there–I have been super happy with the DAC, but I’m transitioning from vinyl + Tidal to CDs + Tidal and the D-03X has both CD playback and MQA capability so it seems like a good move.

Zotac Mini - been an excellent MOCK for me since 2017 :slight_smile:

I have written elsewhere about acquiring the RAAL Requisite SR1a cans (well, they aren’t really cans, floating ribbons) with the Schiit Jotunheim R amp, specialized for driving the near-short 0,2 ohm SR1a. But it was difficult to drive them from my favored Chord rig which was spoken for (Hifiman), had to unplug-and-plug cables in the back. I have a Benchmark stack used for Audeze cans, that worked, I could switch between them with switches, no cabling.

The other day I read about Schiit releasing the Modius DAC. I have been suspicious of Schiit, but ASR measured them very favorably, and at $200, heck people pay that for USB cables. So I ordered one.

It fits nicely with the Jotunheim. I grouped the Modius and the Benchmark, plugged both into the Jotunheim. Tricky, one was balanced and one was unbalanced, made for a volume difference, had to adjust.

But first reaction is favorable, no obvious difference between the $200 Modius and the $2,000 Benchmark. In my experience it takes weeks to really understand the strengths and weaknesses of gear (why blind tests are useless). But so far I’m impressed. A private stack for the SR1a, neat.

6 Likes

Where does the Modius fall in their lineup? Bifrost replacement?