Headphones thread (show us yer cans)! [2018-09]

Ah yes I bought the one with the wider arc. Type B stand. Fits all my headphones headbands nicely. Yea they’re quality pieces, but quite pricey!

Cheers Mark. The reason I ask… I’ve just bought the LCD-4 and I’m finding them a bit warm - even slightly muddled in the mid-range on some tracks - via single-ended output with Shiit Yggdrasil and Ragnarok translating hi-res FLAC from a Roon Nucleus. I’m hoping some of this will dissipate as they run in. I’ve ordered a new balanced cable from Toxic Cables at huge cost which I’m also hoping will add some clarity and detail resolution.

Update from my previous post Jan 2019.

Woo Audio WA22 Headphone amp.
Audeze LCD-4 - Q French silk balanced cable.
ZMF Atticus - Custom balanced cable.

I still have the Senn HD800 but use them exclusively with my Realiser A16

Lampizator L4G5 Balanced + DSD512 upgrade.
ISO Regen
Ultracap LPS-1
HDPlex 100w linear PSU

Roon Server+ HQ Player installed on Mac Mini M1 - 8Gb. External 2Tb SSD for music library The server is located in another room.

Fibre network bridge between server and Roonbridge endpoint.

Roonbridge installed on Gigabyte Brix J1900 (WiFi and Bluetooth modules removed)- Win 10 (unnecessary Win 10 processes disabled) + ASIO driver. Powered by Anker 12v battery.

2 Likes

Just got my WA22 from Woo Audio and I’m getting noise. Upgraded the rectifier tube and still have noise. Any noise on your end?

Using them with the following:

• Abyss Diana Phi
  • XI Audio Sagra DAC
  • Metrum Ambre Streamer (ROON endpoint)

CJ

Bummer.

I had a Little Dot amp that had the same problem. Although I’ve always suspected a bad solder, I never could run it down.

Too late to return your defective amp? If not, you should. You probably can’t fix the problem.

I’m not a headphones kinda guy,

But I’ve pulled the plug on an Audeze LCD-1 as that price looked reasonably for me ‘as experiment’.
Is arriving tomorrow! :partying_face:

1 Like

Greetings Harry. Since you’re in this thread, I have a question.

Do you think all the necessary code is in the RoPieee kernel for this DAC? Thanks.

Assuming they have a proper USB implementation (UAC2), then it will work out of the box.

Native DSD is another thing: that highly depends on the implementation and is not something I can see from the outside.

2 Likes

Hmmm…yes, it could be defective. I’ve got to try some things first before I return it (it’s a pita to return but oh, well…).

Hi Scott- I also have a pair of Beyerdynamic T1, whick has a little clearer and focused mid range, but falls way short on the top end and bass of the LCD 4. Honestly, I think something is always lost/gained in the mid range ‘trade off’ Even in regular speakers.

My bedside setup.
Innuos Zen mk3
IFi neo iDSD (used as dac)
Questyle CMA600i (used as headphone amp)
Meze Empyrean.

2 Likes

You have a Zen for the bedroom. Wow!

I’ve gone through many combinations of rectifier/driver/power tubes.
In my experience, driver and power tubes can be more noisy than rectifiers (assuming the rectifier is ok).

The Russian 1578’s can suffer from noise due to dry solder joints.

My current line up of tubes are, rectifier-RCA 5U4G (1942 hanging fillament), driver-Melz 1578 (5 hole), power- GEC 6AS7G. With this combination there is no noise using my LCD4 on the high setting and no noise using the Atticus on low setting. My WA22 does suffer from a very small amount of mechanical hum from the transformer(s).

I’ve also own/used WE422A, Osram GZ37, GZ32, U52 + other rectifiers. I never had any problems with noise.

Driver tubes I own/used are Mullard ECC35, TSRP. The ECC35 is a higher gain tube and I could hear noise with the Atticus on low setting. TSRP was fine.

Power tubes I own/use are TS5998, Russian Svetlana 6as7g, various 6080 and the GEC 6as7g.
The TS5998 is a higher output tube and can show up any failings in the driver tubes.

In your situation, I would try other driver/power tubes.

1 Like

Forgot to mention, new and un-used NOS tubes often require many hours of use (50+) to settle down before they become quiet

1 Like

New stock cable for the headphones. Sat on SMSL headphone amp, sat on top of my desktop speakers

Pi on top of Topping D10 DAC on top of naim Qute.
The D10 has its digital and analogue outputs active at the same time so connects to the headphone amp and the naim.

1 Like

My two favorites - HifiMan HE400i (2020 revision) and Grado SR325e - are probably as far from each other as cans can be… Yet I do enjoy them both greatly and equally, in their ways and per my listening mood… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

2 Likes

Apple AirPods Max

review time! :wink:

3 Likes

Just welcomed these to my home :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Nice René, new Apple Cans. How do you going to use these with Roon? With your iPhone as end-point?