Headphones thread (show us yer cans)!

I have the Elears, just not heard utility used to describe audio kit before so was intrigued.

2 Likes

I also have the discontinued Focal Elegia.

Focal makes really nice stuff. Only issue I have is paying full MSRP. They depreciate pretty quick, with new model releases and such. I recently installed a pair of Dekoni Elite Sheepskin pads on the Clears. Those grey microfiber ones are costly. Drop has Focal Elex pads at a good price now if you need pads.

I use a Cardas Clear cable with my Clears. It a very good cable match.

1 Like

I will be looking to get a second hand set of Elegias at some point, but they are still pricey.

You might also consider the Dan Clark Audio Noire (V-Planer). It’s way more comfortable than the Elegia, but not nearly as easy to drive.

You can often purchase DCA below MSRP.

Used market for Focal Elegia is about $400-450 in the US. Audio Advisor (dealer) had Elegia refurbs for sale at $550 about a month ago.

2 Likes

The cable is the only thing I don’t like with the Clear, it’s way to stiff and inflexible. Might have a look at some third-party alternatives.

I agree. My Moon Black Dragon cable arrives tomorrow. We’ll see…

1 Like

The Cardas Clear are not only a excellent match for Focal Clear headphones. I use them as balanced version for the Audeze LCD-XC with my Ayre Codex, EX-8 and even with my PonoPlayer.

4 Likes

There are some really nice third party cable manufacturers. The Focal Clear is a great setup, at dual 3.5, and are extremely simple to get adapters for (e.g., Focal 3.5, to mini 4-XLR, or HD800). I had three sets of headphone cable adapters made at Norne Audio in a Silver Fusion.

1 Like

How much did they charge for adapters? Moon Audio wanted $100 to make a pair of Black Dragon adapters for my Focal Clear cable to AEON. I’ll just buy another 5 foot Black Dragon cable for the AEON’s if I like it.

That way, I can leave them both plugged into the Meridian Prime if I want and not fiddle with cable adapters.

I may also buy a 1 foot 4-pin male to 3.5mm jack to use with my Dragonfly Cobalt DAC. That just depends on how much better, if any, it sounds.

1 Like

For the Cardas Clear nearly all connection version cost the same, except CG XLR and Focal Utopia LEMO, at least in Germany.

$100 is about right.

1 Like

I am new to the world of headphones. Sounds pretty darn good.

12 Likes

First day today. Can’t wait for the night to set so I can see those tubes glowing. :bulb::heart_eyes:

3 Likes

For someone “new” to headphones you blew right past all those starter headphones and amps and went straight to the top of the line. Way to go! I really do hope that you enjoy your new hobby but I can already hear your wallet crying.

@Thomas_Sola You might want to give these a try: Dekoni Nuggets Also available from other vendors, often at a better price than directly from Dekoni.

2 Likes

I should have said „relatively“ new. I have a Grado and Meze 99 classics. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I have never quite understood the audiophile fascination with tubes. Maybe it’s my childhood memories of the big tube tester in the corner drug store and what a royal pain the neck tubes seemed to be. Give me solid state any day. Plus with all the various LED lights and screens on many present day solid state equipment there’s plenty of glow even without the tubes.

Thanks! Those look pretty comfy. I was looking around at what’s on amazon and what 3rd party/custom sites I could see. I don’t need fancy leather or anything, I just need some cushion so I ordered something very similar to what you linked to. We’ll see how those go. If what I got doesn’t work perhaps I’ll try these.

Does the stock Grado headband work for anyone or is my head just balding and pointy?

My “new to me” Oppo PM2 and B&W P1 cans showed up today so time for some late night fun!
See if they manage to kick the Sendy Audio Avia backside!

A very quick listen to make sure both work ok shows very different characters.
The B&W are a lot more bass heavy, a true rockers can!
The Oppo not quite so weighty but the details and vocals are sublime.
Just so far I prefer both to the Sendys which can tend to be a bit harsh and etched in my rig.

It looks good and it sounds good. Plus you can tinker with tubes. But hey… that is an old argument I guess. And I am not an advocate of either side. Just enjoying the music.

1 Like

Tubes and vinyl, two things from my past I don’t need to revisit.

1 Like