Hegel Roon Ready status statement

Almost August, when Hegels H390 becomes three years old…

1 Like

Ok look chaps, you have asked @Anders_Ertzeid for updates on the status of these devices and he provides them. Then he gets dog-piled.

You’re upset, you’ve made it abundantly clear. Anders is the messenger, he alone isn’t responsible for getting Roon Certification to the goal line. But can you see how the guy might feel coming here to post, knowing he’s going to get slaughtered? That can’t possibly encourage communication.

I’m not saying that those of you who have a H390 integrated amp shouldn’t be upset. I completely understand how you must feel. But, these exchanges are beginning to resemble.

We want to provide a welcoming atmosphere for our partners and our customers to communicate but that may no longer be a possibility in this case. You guys are upset, Anders can’t help but feel put on the spot.

I’ll leave the thread open, for now, but we may soon have to ask that you send your comments regarding certification directly to HEGEL. We don’t want customers who are happily using their products to be worried about posting in the Hegel channel on Community.

23 Likes

we understand Anders alone is not responsible for the roon readiness…he is however responsible for his own comments. He stated 2 months ago that the 390 and 590 would be done by the end of May…we are now in the end of July…the frustration has crescendoed because of the horrible customer liason. You must realize that this amenity was supposed to be in place well over 2 years ago and for many of us this was the reason why we bought the Hegel instead of some other product. Many opportunities were missed in regards to calming the customers and fires were stoked again and again by bad and misinformation…we have no other forum for our frustration. So please do not censure us people need to know about the business practices of a company good or bad.

5 Likes

I’d add to this, and suggest that as the boss of Hegel, he absolutely is responsible for the actions/inactions of the company.

2 Likes

Anders isn’t the boss of Hegel.

And, Guy_Midegly, Anders never said 90 days. In fact he studiously uses non committal phrases like 'just around the corner" or ‘very very soon.’

Which I believe is what upsets people. Not as much as giving hard timelines like 90 days and missing a deadline would, but nevertheless.

Radio silence is probably the best case for everyone.

4 Likes

Please look back he said “within a month” and that was in May.I don’t think that was “non committal”. I didn’t say Anders was the Boss…Andrew Dean did. I disagree …keeping my mouth shut is the same as accepting bad business practices. I said nothing for a very long time…the passive time has passed…IMHO this is an unacceptable way of doing business and any other company would feel the wrath of the consumer for such a grievous misleading statement over 2 years ago. I guess we should all just take it on the chin according to guys like you.

look back at MAY 3 comment by Anders…he said we are closer than 1 month ago(which obviously was a typo-should have been to go) for sure.Was this “non-committal” Me thinks not.

i don’t think it’s a typo.

Consider the statement: “we are closer now than we were a month ago.”

I think that’s the sentiment.

Sorry Jim but if the consumer can’t hold the company who has bad business practices feet to the fire who can?

Then he should have clarified after reading the comments about the statement. Either way its poor communication and at this point they should be very clear on what they mean.

Heres an analogy…you go to a store to buy a TV. The salesmen shows you TV’s in the 6k range you find one you like for its presentation but is doesnt have a feature all the others have. The salesmen says “oh its getting a firmware upgrade in a few months that will take care of that” so you buy it with that promise in mind. 6 months go by and no upgrade. Salesmen says “its coming be patient” 6 more months go by…now youre thinking “wow this tv is becoming obsolete” still no upgrade. Another 6 months and for sure many other better TV’s have come on the market and still nothing only a hollow promise of “soon” Now 2 years go by…nothing…2 1/2 years…you see what I’m getting at.

2 Likes

I didn’t say you thought Anders was the boss. But assuming people make typos and actually mean what you think - rather than what they say - is a whole new level of misunderstanding. So maybe clarifying is useless.

I’m saying that this constant snarky whining is not holding anyone’s feet to the fire. It just makes the whiner feel self righteous. Accept that you were scammed and move on. But if you chose to hold on to hope, then, inherent in that hope is patience and grace.

Obviously Hegel and Co. have egg on their face, feel like screw-ups, and tie themselves in knots trying to explain that, while they can’t seem sink the putt, they just don’t want to give up. Most of us may be thinking ‘pick up the ball, grab your clubs, and let’s go home.’ But they just keep trying. Maybe it’s admirable to keep going in spite of failure. Maybe it’s foolish and embarrassing. But there is no ongoing deception here…because they have nothing to gain. Its not like they are still trying to ship a few units by pulling the wool over our eyes.

They are still trying to fix something to make good on their word, even though most customers have already written them off. They have little to lose by giving up. But they are still working on it. And I doubt it is because of people who are complaining.

And for something to be an analogy it should mirror the structure of the situation but put it in a more accessible context (see my golf analogy) not just change amplifier to Television. If I failed to understand the situation with amplifiers I would also do fail to understand when you swap them for televisions.

6 Likes

I am not sure if this is a useful comment or not, as I don’t own any Hegel gear, but I have bought three “pre-Roon Ready” pieces of equipment that subsequently received their certification - two active speakers and one pre-amp/streamer. The one thing I would note is that there is no improvement in sound quality from being certified. All it does is adds a bit of convenience in terms of removing the separate streamer and being able to control the volume remotely. However, presumably if you are using Roon you already have solutions to this.

I get it that it’s unacceptable for a company to promise something and not deliver, but I wanted to temper expectations if you think getting certified will open the doors to the promised land. It’s helpful, but not life-changing.

1 Like

I went to a hotel in florida once, after paying for it i started to read reviews.
After reading 20 mins on bad reviews i was regreating i paid for it but i thorght sod it ill go anyway the short story is the hotel was a 4 star it should have been a 5+ so the moral of the story is…:slight_smile:

I really like my H390, it’s a very good amp. I consider the Roon Ready as a very nice to have but not really mandatory in my audio growth path. Currently I use a Node 2i, will replace it with a streamer such as Grimm Audio Mu 1. If by then I’m still searching for next steps, which I’m afraid most likely will happen, I will consider replacing the Hegel dac altogether (not the amp). It’s a fun journey.

2 Likes

I think that the statement is very clear. They are closer now (in May) than they were one month ago. Not sure how this can be interpreted as “ready within a month”.

That doesn’t jibe…of course you would be closer than you would be the previous month…there would be no need to say that …and like I said he should have corrected it when he saw the reaction to the comment…its become a game.

1 Like

The issue isn’t the quality of the Amp…its the bad customer relations

1 Like

I think some members need to slow down a little in here, take a step back and a deep breath.
Continued brow beating and axe grinding usually gets you nowhere fast.
Thanks for your patience and understanding

11 Likes

Yes, please don’t keep airing grievances or this thread will wind up dead. Remember that patience is a virtue.

1 Like