Help needed: Database broken after update

Hello,

I am running RoonServer on a Ubuntu Server. The server is an older Mac Mini (x86) running Ubuntu Server with local SSD drives.

After updating Roon a few weeks, it tried a database update and the result was: “There was an issue loading your library”.

I updated Ubuntu, reinstalled Roon from scratch via the install script with a clean database and tried several older backups (via the Roon GUI) up to January, 2024 - the error reappears every time.

This is the fourth time in my Roon history with this problem. I had to start with a clean database at least twice, losing all my metadata.

After asking support (Database Migration Error on RoonServer Running on Ubuntu Server (ref#GXXOQ1)) the answer was, that their diagnostics indicate, that I am running Roon on a virtual machine. „… and unfortunately, you are in Tinkering territory with your current setup.“

Do you have any ideas?

• File system check
  • Memory check
  • smartctl -t short [| extended] /dev/... for your drives

Maybe look for linux performance test, found this
https://www.baeldung.com/linux/system-testing-tools#:~:text=Sysbench,running%20under%20a%20heavy%20load.

1 Like

fsck: no problem.
smartctl: only minor remappings
memtester: several FAILUREs

So it seems that the memory causes the errors. Seems that I have to get some new hardware!

I installed RoonServer on my main Mac (MacOS) and restored the oldest backup I have (2022) - it works. So I have to find the most recent backup that works and continue from there.

Thank you very much for the helping.

1 Like

Maybe you can replace the ram if it is accessible.

It is. Thankfully it is a MacMini 2012 (not 2014). I replaced the RAM and restored the 2022 backup. The server is up and running again!

Thanks for helping.