Database Migration Error on RoonServer Running on Ubuntu Server (ref#GXXOQ1)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

Something else

How can we help?

None of the above

Other options

I am running RoonServer on a Ubuntu Server.

After updating Roon, it tried a database update: "There was an issue loading your library".

I updated Ubuntu, reinstalled Roon via the install script, renamed the database and installed several older backups up to January, 2024 - the error reappears every time.

This is the fourth time in my Roon history with this problem. I had to start with a clean database at least twice, losing all my metadata.

Can't you provide a database check tool or build a more robust update mechanism, that identifies problematic albums and gives a good error message ("We had trouble migration Album XYZ.") - and leave this specific metadata out, but restore the rest properly?

What can I do?

Regards,
a long time Roon user.

How exactly are you backing up Roon? There is only one reliable method, and that is using the backup feature within Roon. This also performs integrity checks. Renaming the database folder, renaming, moving etc. is not recommended.

I am using the backup feature of Roon, using my NAS as the target. In order to get Roon up and running I have to rename (or delete) the “Database” folder manually, restart RoonServer and restore an older backup via the Roon-GUI.

I tried several backups because last time this problem occurred (2022?), I had to get back about 6 weeks to find a functioning backup.

There may be a problem with just a few entries in the database that cause this problem again and again, but because there is no error message, I cannot solve it. Or is there a detailed log file?

I am thinking of going back to other music services because of this reoccurring issue.

Hi @Joerg-Volker_Mueller,
Thanks for your patience while we worked through the queue. I think the next step here is to enable some diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here.

However, before enabling this feature, I’d like to ask for your help in ensuring we gather the right information.

First, can you please reproduce the issue once more (i.e. restoring one of the backups that gave you the error) and note the time at which the error occurred? Then respond here with that time, and I’ll make sure we review the diagnostics related to that timestamp.

Hi Daniel,
thank you for helping. Here’s what I did (MESZ is UTC+2):

21:59:15 MESZ Restored Backup 2024-04-02 05:00:00, Version 2.0 (build 1388)
22:02:45 MESZ Relaunch
22:03:10 MESZ Connect → Rebuilding
22:03:20 MESZ “There was an issue loading your library”

Are you running your server on a virtual machine? Our diagnostics indicate that this is the case. Unfortunately, VMs are not a supported way of using Roon. If you reproduce the problem on a supported setup we will be able to help you. If you wish to continue using this setup it’s possible that someone over in Tinkering can help you.

The server is an older Mac Mini (x86) running Ubuntu Server with local SSD drives. Nothing special. Linux as a server is supported!?

@Joerg-Volker_Mueller, I consulted with the rest of the team, and unfortunately, you are in Tinkering territory with your current setup. If you can reproduce this issue on supported hardware we will do our best to assist you.

Hi @daniel, I installed RoonServer on my M1 Mac running MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma. I restored a backup from April, 7 and ran into the same error. The time was 11:49 MESZ (9:49 UTC).

Be aware that both music-drives (/box1 and /box2) are not mounted/available up to now.

Are you able to look into it now?

Hi @daniel, I have an update:

I got some tipps from tinkering and checked the hardware on the server: The memory shoes errors. Seems that I have to get a new server (Nucleus One? ;-).

I just installed the oldest backup (from 2022) on my main Mac and it works. So I have to find the newest backup that works and install everything on a new machine.

Thanks for helping.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.