Help needed with Nucleus recovery:

Yes, the keyboard works properly when I boot to the BIOS interface. It’s only when I boot the UEFI USB OS Bootloader that the keyboard is disabled.

I’ve previously tried disconnecting/reconnecting the keyboard and was unsuccessful.

Yes, the cursor is flashing.

Thanks again for all your help!

Here is the keyboard I’m using:

Hi @brad_thompson,

I have done some research and can’t find a valid next step for you on my own. I have a Nucleus but my keyboard is apparently heavily frayed and doesn’t work on anything.

The only ideas (based on the menus I can see without a kb/mouse) are to disable USB 3.0 support in the BIOS, (temporarily) OR there may be a setting where you can put the keyboard into legacy mode.

I’ve escalated this for us and should have some answers in the next 36 hours. In the meantime, I’m going to do my best to source a good wired mouse/kb.

Please don’t open multiple threads for the same issue. It makes things much harder and requires information from two places to come together for a complete picture.

We’ll keep trying our best to get you fixed.

Thanks,
Wes

Regards,
Wes

Sorry, could you take a picture of the underside of the keyboard, the model code is what I’m after. Is the keyboard full USB, rather than an old skool PS2 to USB adaptor? Do you have another keyboard? Sorry but I’m reaching the limit of my ability to help remotely TBH. In truth an alternative USB keyboard is probably your best bet at this point.

Here’s the model code. This keyboard is otherwise perfectly functional. Only when booting from the USB install that it is disabled (but not disconnected from USB power as the number lock light is lit).

Interestingly, I have found reports of this issue on GRUB support forums (keyboard disabled during bootload). This seems like a potentially useful lead, as the GRUB bootloader (as I understand it) is the controlling component during the USB flash install process.

Wes,

Thank you for the assistance and I apologize for starting a 2nd thread. This peculiar keyboard issue seemed unique, so I was just hoping to broaden the audience with a new post title.

I’d like to try your USB settings recommendations:

“The only ideas (based on the menus I can see without a kb/mouse) are to disable USB 3.0 support in the BIOS, (temporarily) OR there may be a setting where you can put the keyboard into legacy mode.”

Can you advise how to make these settings on my BIOS version (see photo).

Also, do you have any ideas how I could further explore/recruit support for (GRUB bug) as a potential issue:

I’ve found reports of an issue on GRUB support forums (keyboard disabled during bootload). My experience appears to be the same and a potentially useful lead, as the GRUB bootloader (as I understand it) is the controlling component during the USB flash install process.

When I boot to the USB OS bootloader, GRUB title flashes is the upper right corner of the monitor screen, followed by a 5 second load. Then the ROCK install menu is displayed and that is when the keyboard becomes disabled. This seems consistent with the reports I’m finding on GRUB support forums.

side note: Is it possible I could download and attempt using other/older ROCK install files?

current file: (roonbox-linuxx64-nuc4-usb-factoryreset.img.gz)

Thanks so much!

Hi @brad_thompson,

My only thought on this is that it has not been identified as an issue with Nucleus prior (that I can find). I wouldn’t expect this to manifest with Nucleus.

That’s definitely the installer you need and no older installs are available.

You might need to re-confirm the BIOS settings as per the guide here. Double-check those settings and let me know. I will be able to acquire a functional USB KB to assist further sometime tomorrow.

Wes

I’m delighted to report, a new keyboard was the solution to the disabled keyboard install issue!

Thank you, Killdozer for staying with me and providing the necessary advice and suggestion.

I’m up and running and am ready for the Nucleus OS replacement.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for all your assistance. A new $10 keyboard was the solution to the install issue!

4 Likes

Paging @Wes

This is all good to hear @brad_thompson you got pretty unlucky as both of these were pretty niche issues. It appears there’s something non-standard about that keyboard and it lacks GRUB boot support.

Anyways, it’s been emotional :joy: If I were in your shoes I’d put some tunes on and crack open a beer. Glad that you got there, persistence pays off, good work :+1:

2 Likes

It’s mostly been interesting, as I previously knew nothing about PC’s (20 year Mac guy) and had the time to learn.

At the least, after studying many dozens of support threads (Roon, BIOS, and GRUB), and reading a 91 page PDF on the Intel Bios interface, I think I could decently build a ROCK NUC now.

Thanks again for all your follow ups!

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 45 days. New replies are no longer allowed.