Help! RoonServer in error loop. Roon apps can't connect!

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

RoonServer running the latest build as of 20th March 2021 on Mac Mini running 10.13.6

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Mini system is connected via ethernet to the network.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Irrelevant, as this is specific to the RoonServer software.

Description Of Issue

I’m not sure why, but suddenly, RoonServer is running, but quickly goes into a loop of “Roon Status: Started/Error Started/Error Started/Error”. I’ve tried quitting and restarting RoonServer, and restarting the entire machine, and it goes into the same loop after it launches. I also can’t seem to find any errors in Console.app. Is there a special place Roon puts its logs?

In this state, no Roon apps can connect to the core.

I also kept a backup of the last 1.7.x build. That starts up just fine Roon Status: Ready (no errors), but when a 1.8 running app connects with it, it immediately downloads 1.8 (latest build), and restarts, putting me into the same error loop.

The error loop happens regardless of the number of Roon apps attempting to connect to it (ie, I tried not having anything else Roon related on the network that may try and contact RoonServer).

I haven’t changed anything in the network, or OS or anything recently. It was also working fine yesterday, so I’m at a real loss as to why this is happening.

Update Followed these instructions Software Crashing thinking maybe it would help. It did not. Still goes into error loop forever.

Second Update Found RoonServer’s log files, and here’s the error:

03/21 00:37:39 Info: Starting RoonServer v1.8 (build 764) stable on macosx
03/21 00:37:39 Trace: Checking if we are already running
03/21 00:37:39 Warn: get lock file path: /tmp/.rnsems501-roon
03/21 00:37:39 Trace: Nope, we are the only one running
03/21 00:37:39 Info: Is 64 bit? True
03/21 00:37:39 Trace: [childprocess] using .NET child process
03/21 00:37:39 Trace: [realtime] fetching time from NTP server
03/21 00:37:39 Info: [broker] starting *************REDACTED****************
03/21 00:37:39 Trace: [httpcache] loaded 1025 cache entries from /Users/REDACTED/Library/RoonServer/Cache/httpcache_2.db, current: 127mb / 128mb
03/21 00:37:39 Info: 
Local Time:            03/21/2021 00:37:39 -04:00
Device Serial Number:  *************REDACTED****************
Roon Version:       1.8 (build 764) stable
OS Version:            Mac OS X 10.13.6
Hardware Version:      Macmini7,1
Mono Version:          6.10.0.106 (2019-12/77769615db1)

Application Domain:    RoonAppliance.exe
Assembly Codebase:     file:///Applications/RoonServer.app/Contents/MonoBundle/RoonAppliance.exe
Assembly Full Name:    RoonAppliance, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

CPU0 Description:      Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4278U CPU @ 2.60GHz (64-bit)
CPU0 Num Cores:        Physical: 2 Logical: 4

Exception Source:      Roon.Broker.Core
   Exception Type:        System.NullReferenceException
   Exception Target Site: State..ctor
   Exception Message:     Object reference not set to an instance of an object
   Exception Data:        none

--[ Stack Trace ]------------
   Sooloos.Broker.State..ctor(BrokerConfig config, StorageManager storage)
       Roon.Broker.Core.dll, IL 265, N 1974
   Sooloos.Broker.Modules.Core.Create(BrokerConfig config, String platform)
       Roon.Broker.Core.dll, IL 108, N 514
   Sooloos.Application.Main(String[] argv)
       RoonApplianceLib.dll, IL 895, N 5346
   RoonMac.Application.Main(String[] args)
       RoonAppliance.exe, IL 0, N 66

03/21 00:37:39 Error: 
Local Time:            03/21/2021 00:37:39 -04:00
Device Serial Number:  *************REDACTED****************
Roon Version:       1.8 (build 764) stable
OS Version:            Mac OS X 10.13.6
Hardware Version:      Macmini7,1
Mono Version:          6.10.0.106 (2019-12/77769615db1)

Application Domain:    RoonAppliance.exe
Assembly Codebase:     file:///Applications/RoonServer.app/Contents/MonoBundle/RoonAppliance.exe
Assembly Full Name:    RoonAppliance, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

CPU0 Description:      Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4278U CPU @ 2.60GHz (64-bit)
CPU0 Num Cores:        Physical: 2 Logical: 4

Exception Source:      Roon.Broker.Core
   Exception Type:        System.NullReferenceException
   Exception Target Site: State..ctor
   Exception Message:     Object reference not set to an instance of an object
   Exception Data:        none

--[ Stack Trace ]------------
   Sooloos.Broker.State..ctor(BrokerConfig config, StorageManager storage)
       Roon.Broker.Core.dll, IL 265, N 1974
   Sooloos.Broker.Modules.Core.Create(BrokerConfig config, String platform)
       Roon.Broker.Core.dll, IL 108, N 514
   Sooloos.Application.Main(String[] argv)
       RoonApplianceLib.dll, IL 895, N 5346
   RoonMac.Application.Main(String[] args)
       RoonAppliance.exe, IL 0, N 66

Third Update

It’s possible this is actually a Tidal integration issue. I opened up the Tidal app on my computer, and noticed it no longer had me signed in (that’s never happened before). I use Apple’s sign-on service, and Tidal tells me the OAuth2 configuration isn’t correct, despite passing Apple’s Apple ID/2 step auth process. I’ve integrated Tidal into Roon using the same method of authorisation.

This may simply be coincidence, but it’s really strange. Is there any way to de-auth Tidal, or trash some files related to Tidal without nuking my entire install? (I’ve got A LOT of custom db entries, so I’d like to avoid that if at all possible).

Any help would be appreciated, as I literally can’t play my music without this working.

1 Like

Hi CM,

Not official support, but, a suggestion. After you restore the database, verify that server is running, and before you try logging in with a client. Go the the RoonServer folder under Cache and remove the Tidal cache files. Then try logging on.

I think one of the Roon guys had more specific instructions for such, …rummaging with search…

Cheers,
Daniel

Sadly, no change. Deleted the Cache folder from ~/Library/RoonServer/Cache, and the problem still persists. The logfile is identical to the one I posted in the main post (second update), but with a timestamp of now. (IDENTICAL stack trace)

Hi @CM_Harrington

Would you kindly zip up the entire Logs folder and send it to me? You can send a Dropbox or other file sharing service link via a PM. I’ll have our QA team take a look at the errors listed there and will get back to you ASAP. Thanks!

Well, I sent the full logs folder and no reply… so I wound up just trashing the entire install and starting again.

This isn’t in any real way a ‘resolution’, but rather, a workaround. I’d still like an analysis as to what happened, and what was/will be done to prevent this bug from happening in the future.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.