Help us rename RoonSpeakers

we have been talking to a few people via PM, but we welcome more suggestions… we hate “RoonSpeakers”. Here is what we are thinking:

1. RAAT is the network protocol, and not something that non-technical users should concern themselves with
  2. Roon Ready is our program that tells people who buy hardware that the device is both capable of speaking with Roon and that it will do the best thing possible by Roon’s standards and the manufacturer’s standards.
  3. There is a software implementation of RAAT on top of CoreAudio/WASAPI/ALSA/Android/iOS that needs a name. The protocol is still RAAT and the zones will still be “Zone” inside Roon. We just need a name for the software installer + packaging. RoonZone is not bad, but this software could name multiple zones if you have multiple devices hooked up to a PC/Mac/tablet/phone.

This item #3 is what we need a name for – a name better than RoonSpeakers.

2 Likes

RAATCatcher
RoonGate
RoonStub

How about “Roonable”, short for Roon Able meaning that the software enables a device to function as a Roon capable endpoint? I could then have a Roonable NAA or Roonable DAC, etc. It would also be the corollary to Roon Ready which means the device is already enabled rather than something I as user enable?

RoonControl
RoonPoint
RoonDevice
RoonTransport

RoonReceiver

2 Likes

Just a few…

Vroon
Stroon
Roon Node
Roon Edge
Roonette (RooNet?)
Roonlet
Roonarray
PlayRoon (BedRoon, PlayRoon, LivingRoon, etc.)
Etc.Roon
Roonplestiltskin
ExaRoon
RoonTunes
NetRoon
Roonbeam
Roonlight
Roonshine
Roonlit

1 Like

I can’t think of anything better than RoonRecevier

Roon Renderer

Is there any lifetime membership reward ? :wink:

1 Like

RoonPlay
RoonPoint
RoonReceiver

1 Like

How about

RAATaail
RAATaiil
RAATaill

Roonz … is my suggestion.

1 Like

RoonPlayer
RoonWare

RoonMote (as in remote)
Target
RoonMini
RoonMicro
Sprout
RoonAux
RoonVent

Why does it need a name?

Seems like it is an implementation detail. The zones used to be private, they no longer are, fine, you removed an unreasonable limitation, congrats, but that doesn’t need a name.

You had an implementation problem on Linux, fixed it, congrats but…

Ok, when you install Roonspeakers alone on a machine, you do need describe it. But is it a name? Is it a thing?

Maybe it is a deployment option. You go to install Roon on a computer. Which configuration?

1. Full system: core with database, user interface, device output
  2. Headless server: core with database, device output
  3. Controller: user interface, device output
  4. Endpoint: device output

I like RoonReceiver best, but I also like

RoonRenderer
RoonPlayer
RoonGate
RoonEndpoint

One reason why names are important is that as new users join the Roon Community, they often don’t understand that although the end result is a wonderfully integrated solution, that solution can involve the installation of different parts on different systems, each doing its own thing. By giving each part a name, it becomes easier to understand what someone means by referring to any one piece. Obviously naming each piece in a way that identifies what it does is helpful, but, for example, when Roon Remote first came out I thought it was the software for my ipad acting as a remote control device, which was’t what Roon meant with their definition of Roon Remote.

Anders, good challenge. But haven’t you really called it Roon Endpoint?

In a download folder containing Roon.exe, Roonserver.exe, you would expect a roonsomething.exe to be the thing you click on to install a zone.

I would go with Roonzone. It is entirely consistent with what you see in Roon /settings and doesn’t need the user to learn a new term.

1 Like

How about ‘Roontune’ or ‘Roonsong’ Chris :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Roon Mate

Best,
Richard

How about Roonpoint or Roonsound