Help us rename RoonSpeakers

Roonbase.

Thanks

In Norse mythology, the runic alphabet is attested to a divine origin, so how about, Roonic, Roons, Roonstone

Hi,

RoonBox!

rgds
Mark

What about “Roonifier”, because it Roon-ifies the Device/Speaker/Endpoint/Zone with Installing RAAT.

Roonlink

Cheers

1 Like

RoonAudio or Roon AudioPlayer

Best,
Mark

1 Like

Roon-Fi
Roonity
RoonConnect

RoonConnect I like too. It is the software you use to connect roon to your PC

We already have RoonServer, so next should be:

1. RoonPlayer (as in CD player, but pretty old style, so what about 
)

2. RoonStreamer (i really like this one)

Hi all,
This is how I see the Roon ‘family’ :

• Roon (DB*, Device Output, GUI)
  • Roon Server (DB, Device Output)
  • Roon Remote (Device Output, GUI)
  • Roon Zones (Device Output)
  • Roon Ready (Third party devices that Roon can stream to)

*The Database is optional and is only required when not using Roon Server 

In which case it operate as a Roon Remote.

Though I don’t really like the term Roon Remote and would prefer Roon App or Roon Client.

Also as far as possible I don’t think these should be separate installation downloads; one should only have to download “Roon” (for your given device) then it should prompt with the installation options.

4 Likes

I like the Roon family architecture of Carl and can be copied right away in Roons manuals. So, RoonClient. :innocent:

RoonooR or
iRoon
or
Rozon
:vulcan_salute:

I really like REShaman’s suggestion of RoonMate and dbtom2’s PlayRoon.

Here’s a few others

RoonLanding
OvertheRoon
PaperRoon
RoonOverMyHammy :smile:

1 Like

Hmm – my reaction to Connect is “stuff that I use to connect to something.”
So RoonConnect would be the name for the remote that I use to connect to the RoonServer, not the thing that the RoonServer uses to connect to me.

Like the distinction between upload and download – I have seen unconventional usage, but commonly “down” is to me.

@Carl Yes, that makes sense. And I very much agree with the single download (as far as possible), making these installation options. Actually, they are configuration options, they can be changed after the installation (e.g. a remote can take over ownership of its own database).

@ncpl What I meant by questioning the need for a “name” is that branding is a very sensitive and tricky subject. I’m an engineer, not a marketing guy, but I have learnt some of the naming and branding principles over the years.

I think there should be only one Brand and that is Roon.

The other things need descriptive labels so we can talk about them, but that doesn’t make them brands. So RoonServer is a fine descriptive label but it is not a brand, so it isn’t really a “Name”. And we have to be very careful in understanding what RoonReady is

A few examples. In storage, SMB is the name of the protocol; while Microsoft is a major user of it, it is an industry standard protocol that many players implement so therefore it is important it has a name.

But for the rest of it: Windows Server is a brand. File Server is a server role, you don’t license Microsoft’s File Server, you license Windows Server and then include the File Server role during installation (or later). So File Server is something that needs a descriptive label so we can talk about it, but it is not a brand.

Core Server and Nanoserver are not brands. And they are not SKUs either (Stock Keeping Unit), i.e. they don’t exist in the price list. They are deployment options. Standard Server and Datacenter Server are SKUs, i.e. you can license them and they have a price. But they are not brands. And the deployment options (Core, Nano) apply to both.

Complex, sure. But important. And Roon needs similar thinking.

Brand: Roon
Branding label important for partner relationships: RoonReady
Roles: Roon (the full thing), RoonServer, RoonRemote, RoonZone
Technologies that are typically not discussed with customers: RAAT

Something like that makes sense to me.

(And I imagine there will need to be another variant of RoonReady: at the moment companies license only the RoonZone component, but if somebody licenses the whole thing, with server and user interface, what will that be called?)

2 Likes

RoonAudioEndpoint ?

How about Roondo?

I guess it won’t be:

RoonPod
RoonBox
Roonos
RoonooR
RooEnd

How about something that plays on the fact that it can be used on old kit?
Roonewable :grinning:

Or
RoonVR
RoonVirtual
Roon-Anywhere
RoonSoft

Cheers
Tom

Roonify

For obvious reasons. :wink:

1 Like

Hi @AndersVinberg
Thanks for explaining your thinking here. I am 100% in agreement.
It needs a descriptive name not a funky new brand.
The description (IMHO) needed is already made

and I would use it along the lines that you and @Carl have suggested
cheers

1 Like