Hey Community, let's create an International Jazz Day playlist! Submit your favs by April 20th

We’ve wanted to team up with all of you to reboot our Roon Community playlists for a while and thought what better time than a celebration of International Jazz Day - a genre known for inspired collaboration and improvisation.

Let’s tap into the spirit of International Jazz Day by recognizing artists from around the globe who have informed and enriched the genre with their creative energy!

Any sub-genre from any time period, old, or new… doesn’t matter. Some contemporary fire would be great but inspiration is most important.

Please submit your favs by around midnight on Thursday, April 20th. We’ll have it served up in-app on the 25th.

I’ll kick things off with an album that has completely reignited my jazz listening recently!

I’m not sure if I’ll go with The Soul Messenger or For Phineas, either one would get things cooking.

Over to you!

8 Likes

The first track from any of these will do fine.
So would choosing randomly.

Edit: Okay maybe not the first track from Sons Of Kemet. Forgot the narration was nsfw :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

6 Likes

This is new to me. And great.

4 Likes

Pick your track, lots to choose from, including the title track.

5 Likes

Any of the songs are good, but, I’ve always liked their interpretation of Prince’s “Diamonds and Pearls” on this album.

5 Likes

My favourite is the whole album

https://i.imgur.com/PpvLd8b.png

7 Likes

Blues for M & N (Live)

4 Likes

This one never fails to lift my spirits

6 Likes

RoonShareImage-638170573990726320

This is a really interesting release from last year. Legendary jazz guitarist Kurt Rosenwinkel and acclaimed Swiss pianist Jean-Paul Brodbeck join forces on The Chopin Project, a historic collaboration which finds them reinterpreting the music of Chopin for jazz quartet.

My pick would be track 8
RoonShareImage-638170577158523350

4 Likes

Great suggestions, please keep them coming! Also, let’s remember that jazz is a melting pot!

Many of you, especially Rooners outside the US, are hip to what’s happening in your local scene. Share those artists, we want this list to live up to its billing: International Jazz

3 Likes

Emma-Jean Thackray is from the UK. I like this album a lot.

https://i.imgur.com/X31GUgR.png

https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/best-uk-jazz-acts

5 Likes

Excellent, and thank you for the article share @AMT! :fist:t3:

2 Likes

And for all, UK based or visiting.

Most if not all still run every year.

1 Like

RoonShareImage-638170620252352510

This was released today and it’s quite uplifting :raised_hands:

4 Likes

Ok @kristi I confess. I’ve never heard of them. But it does sound a fun listen with what I’ve heard so far. Thank you :pray:

2 Likes

Local :thinking:… not my forte but I’ll try @DanMtsn would know better

And this track was an obsession
RoonShareImage-638170935852184020

4 Likes

I absolutely love this for some reason.

6 Likes

RoonShareImage-638170776422026058

I am not responsible for the genre tags!

9 Likes