Hi I'm Michael, new Product Manager. Let's Chat!

Hi Roon Community! I’m Michael, new Product Manager here at Roon.

A bit about myself—I’m an American living in Portugal. Professionally, I come from a music, tech, and audio engineering background, having worked in recording studios, small music startups, as well as music publishing.

Musically, I’m into everything from jazz to J Dilla but electronic music and indie rock are my mainstays. Right now I’m listening to lots of Mark Kozelek and Hood. After hours I love to cook (big stew guy), make tunes, and nerd out on synths and samplers :slight_smile:

Here at Roon, my first mission is to get to know you all better, so I’m carving out some time each day to chat directly with users. I would love to pick your brains about your music listening habits, how Roon fits into your world, and where you’d like the product to go. I’m all ears. Please feel free to book some time with me here.

Hope to see more of you around Community. For now, I’ll be a fly on the wall, asking a lot of questions as I try to learn as much as I can about our very deep product offering.

Looking forward to working with all of you!

93 Likes

@michael , welcome and we look forward to your contributions to Roon.

5 Likes

Hi @michael - nice to meet you! Have a good start at Roon and good luck with the implementation of new (or already existing) ideas.
I like to listen to Indie & Alternative Rock, Prog & Post Rock, Electronic, Jazz, calm piano music and a lot of stuff in between.
All the best for you! :four_leaf_clover:

2 Likes

Great approach to start with getting to know customers in an unstructured way. Welcome, and good luck.

4 Likes

Hi Micheal, congrats on the new job. Anything in particular you are interested in knowing from us?

2 Likes

Howdy, Michael. Jazz / folk / country / vocals fan here. Ambitious product you’ve got there!

3 Likes

Pleased to meet you @michael. Jazz, Classical, Ambient, Trip-hop, Indie Rock fan with a desire to see an Apple native version of Roon at some point soon!

7 Likes

Welcome here :smiley:

3 Likes

Welcome what a great position to be in, a Product Manager for a great product. I wish you success.

6 Likes

Hi there! Happy to be on board. I’m curious about how Roon slots into your general music collection/listening habits. Secondarily, what are your favorite/least things about Roon. I’ve got some questions baked into the calendar link, so feel free to book some time and we can chat :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks! What kind of Ambient/Trip-hop are we talkin?

1 Like

Hi Michael,
I used to live in Vilamoura, Portugal for 2 years. A great country and beautiful people. While I was there I was introduced to Fado and still love it as much as my jazz and classics. Welcome to our community​:notes::musical_note::notes::musical_note::notes::musical_note:

4 Likes

For trip-hop: Massive Attack, Tricky, Portishead, 9 Lazy 9, Funky Porcini, Unkle. Pretty much what you’d expect.

For ambient it’s a bit more varied: Alva Noto, Banco de Gaia, Brian Eno, Fripp & Eno, Bruce Brubaker, Burial, The Caretaker, Field Works, Four Tet, Harold Budd, Jon Hopkins, Julianna Barwick, The KLF, Loop Guru, Nils Frahm, Olafur Arnalds, Robin Guthrie. I’d also put quite a few ECM albums into this category.

3 Likes

Hello Michael,
it took a long time for me to select Roon as my player. I collected MP3, later FLAC files and had some favs in Qobuz. The Qobuz part became bigger and bigger and there was no opportunity to used streaming in my old player.

I’m fine with Roon, missing some features, but it looks much better than the old one. So it feals like the same level - but with my Qobuz collection, that’s great!

I listen to music from the 1920 to now, jazz, rock, soul, funk, punk, … but not so much electronical.

All the best
Harry

2 Likes

@michael , best of luck with your new adventure. May I ask if @mike will be staying on? It wouldn’t be the same Roon without him! Cheers.

3 Likes

Welcome, @michael . Congratulations on the new gig. All the best on your new endeavor!

2 Likes

Welcome aboard Michael…I’m in year #6 and a dedicated Roonie! Roon has added immense enjoyment to my music listening for all the quality and convenience it brings! I am grateful for its existence!

2 Likes

Hi Michael welcome to the community. Been here 4 years now I think. Will listen to anything if it hooks me on, mainly indie, new wave , punk, electronic with a smattering of classical, world and Jazz. Roon is my music world these days except when on the move or decide I want to play a record. Have it in every room with about 12 zones in total, with 5 getting most of the use.

2 Likes

Welcome @michael ! I’ve been around here since '18. I mostly listen to classic jazz from the '30’s forward and also to a lot of blues and classical. Oh and some bluegrass too.

Glad to have you aboard!

3 Likes