Hibernate issues

I have two problems when my PC wakes frome hibernate:

• sometimes Roon has crashed. A new start of Roon just works, no reboot required.
  • if Roon has not crashed, no audio devices are found after waking up. Roon works, I can browse my library. When I log in, my audio devices become available.
    Roon never stops while playing music.

I think Roon crashes during pc wake up.
Any ideas for a solution?

I run roon core on a windows 10 pc (i3, 2,93 GHz, 2Gb ram, 40 GB SSD), Roon version 1.3, build 274, 32bit. Music, about 20.000 tracks, is stored on a NAS. I use a pi with Allo DAC as endpoint. Both NAS, pi and pc are connected by means of UTP to home network.

Anton

Roon is primarily a Client Server application so it should (IMHO) be run as a server and there 24x7 if you ask me.

@support perhaps the Roon lads can advise if this sleeping issue is something that should work or if its not really designed to go into sleep/hibernate modes.

2gb RAM is below the minimum specified for Roon. If that quoted figure is correct you might want to get that up to spec as I think memory plays a role in hibernation.

1 Like

That was my first thought also, and the size of the SSD is another concern, it is a little small just for the Win10 OS, IMO

In a typical instalation half the drive would be gone just with the OS files.

My work laptop had to be returned to have a new drive fitted recently as it had run out of disk space. The WIndows directory had grown to over 50GB. This was Windows 7 but I doubt Win 10 is any better in this respect. Every version of windows is more bloated than the last.

Yep, they say the minimum requirements are 16-20 gig hard disk space and 1-2 gig of Ram but that only works if you strip out all the extra bloat and most of the features AND don’t put any of your own data on the drive. You have to look at those minimums as minimum space the OS uses exclusively for its install and to start up the computer. You need to add two to three times that space and ram to actually use the machine and then add more space to put your own programs and data on the computer.

Thanks for the replies.

I was not aware that the RAM was below minimum requirements. I bought this pc in 2010, that’s why the SSD is this small (it was quite expensive then :slight_smile:) . It is only used to internet, and recently to run Roon core. There is still over 5 Gb’s free space on the SSD, for now that must be sufficient. I just ordered another 4 Gb RAM, so I wiil end up with 6 Gbs (the board’s maximum is 8Gb). I let you know if the additional RAM helps

Are the media files on the hard drive also?

The ram should help.

Just to help picture this here is a screen shot of the memory being used on my computer with only Win10 64, Internet Explorer and Roon running (there are also quite a few background process running anti-virus, etc.). I have 32 gig of RAM installed (I do video and photo editing on this machine).
Capture

So on your machine with only 2 GIG Windows is probably using quite a bit of space on the hard drive as a “swap file” or “page file” to augment the RAM. Which will slow down the machine and crowd the other programs ability to start and run.

A larger OS drive would also help.

Yes, that is possible. However, I do not have any problems (except the hibernate thing), the pc runs smoothly and Roon is also fast and responsive. The PC is sort of end of life, but it would be nice if I could use this pc for another while

1 Like

Hi @Anton_van_Beuzekom ---- Thank you for the report and the continued feedback, but more importantly, thank you for your patience. My apologies for the slow response here.

I wanted to touch base and see how things were going. Have you made any progress with the advice given by other users on this thread? Please let us know and if further assistance is required just drop “support” a flag (i.e @support) and a team member can lend a hand.

-Eric

No problem, I now have 6 Gbs of RAM, but the problem remains. I have not replaced the SSD, I do not understand why increasing free disk space while having over 6 GBs of space left, would help. That must be sufficient for temp files.

I do have a better problem description though.
1- Roon runs fine on my PC, no problems of crashes while playing music. Browsing in Roon is fast.
2- My PC goes into hibernate
3- When I wake up the PC again by pressing the on/off switch, it switches back on again and shows the login screen. At that time Roon runs. I can connect to it from my android phone and browse through my collection. However, no audio devices are available. So, I cannot play music

then there are two possibilities
4- I move the mouse, the audio devices apear. Roon runs fine.

or

4- I move the mouse and my phone is disconnected
5- when I log on to windows, I get error message that Roon crashed
6- It is possible to just start Roon, and everything works fine.

@support : any idea how to fix this unwanted behaviour?

Anton

Hi,

what graphics card are you using and are the drivers up to date? From the description of your issues it sounds to me like a windows driver issue. Could be with graphics, sound or networks chips. Badly written drivers are notorious for having suspend/hibernate issues. WIN 10 itself had many issues with Realtek network chips for example upon release; some of which could only be solved by using an external USB network interface to replace the on-board NIC. Audio chips can also ‘go missing’ and require driver reinstalls on older motherboards.
Have you looked in Windows Event Viewer logs to see if anything is recorded after a ‘crash’?

Ai, I use an Intel DH57JG mainboard. It turns out that windows 10 is not supported
 The latest drivers are installed, but they are from 2012, so before win 10 came out. That might be causing the troubles. Unfortunately, Roon is the first application that’s crashes during hibernate. Tomorrow, I will look in the Event Viewer. Thanks for the input!

Hi @Anton_van_Beuzekom ---- Touching base with you to see if the “event viewer” offered any insight into what is causing the reported issue. Let me know and we can go from there.

Many thanks!
-Eric

Hi, I see two types of errors in the windows event viewer. First, a .net runtime error, followed by an application error.

below are the messages (in dutch
)
Logboeknaam: Application
Bron: .NET Runtime
Datum: 28-11-2017 13:15:37
Gebeurtenis-id:1026
Taakcategorie: Geen
Niveau: Fout
Trefwoorden: Klassiek
Gebruiker: n.v.t.
Computer: HTPC
Beschrijving:
Toepassing: Roon.exe
Framework-versie: v4.0.30319
Beschrijving: het proces is beëindigd als gevolg van een onverwerkte uitzondering.
Uitzonderingsinformatie: System.AccessViolationException
bij Broo.Engine.OpenGL.Gl.glDrawElements(Int32, Int32, Int32, IntPtr)
bij Broo.Engine.RenBatch.Render(Broo.Engine.DeviceTarget, Broo.Engine.GlMatrix)
bij Broo.Engine.RenLayer._RenderChildren(Broo.Engine.DeviceTarget, Broo.Engine.GlMatrix)
bij Broo.Engine.RenLayer.Render(Broo.Engine.DeviceTarget)
bij Broo.Engine.Engine.Render()
bij Broo.Engine.DeviceTarget.ForceRenderImmediately()
bij Broo.Engine.GlWindow.OnPaint(System.Windows.Forms.PaintEventArgs)
bij System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintWithErrorHandling(System.Windows.Forms.PaintEventArgs, Int16)
bij System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmPaint(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
bij System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
bij System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
bij System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
bij Broo.Engine.GlWindow.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
bij System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
bij System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
bij System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
bij WinUtils.WindowHelper.CallWindowProc(IntPtr, IntPtr, Int32, Int32, Int32)
bij WinUtils.WindowHelper+<>c.<_HookWindow>b__18_0(IntPtr, Int32, Int32, Int32)
bij Broo.Engine.OpenGlWindow.DispatchMessage(MSG ByRef)
bij Broo.Engine.OpenGlWindow.UnmanagedDoEvents()
bij Broo.Engine.DeviceTarget.GuiMainLoop()
bij Broo.Engine.Engine.GuiMainLoop()
bij Sooloos.Application.Main(System.String[])

Gebeurtenis-XML:

0x80000000000000

Application
HTPC

Toepassing: Roon.exe
Framework-versie: v4.0.30319
Beschrijving: het proces is beëindigd als gevolg van een onverwerkte uitzondering.
Uitzonderingsinformatie: System.AccessViolationException
bij Broo.Engine.OpenGL.Gl.glDrawElements(Int32, Int32, Int32, IntPtr)
bij Broo.Engine.RenBatch.Render(Broo.Engine.DeviceTarget, Broo.Engine.GlMatrix)
bij Broo.Engine.RenLayer._RenderChildren(Broo.Engine.DeviceTarget, Broo.Engine.GlMatrix)
bij Broo.Engine.RenLayer.Render(Broo.Engine.DeviceTarget)
bij Broo.Engine.Engine.Render()
bij Broo.Engine.DeviceTarget.ForceRenderImmediately()
bij Broo.Engine.GlWindow.OnPaint(System.Windows.Forms.PaintEventArgs)
bij System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintWithErrorHandling(System.Windows.Forms.PaintEventArgs, Int16)
bij System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmPaint(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
bij System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
bij System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
bij System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
bij Broo.Engine.GlWindow.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
bij System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
bij System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
bij System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
bij WinUtils.WindowHelper.CallWindowProc(IntPtr, IntPtr, Int32, Int32, Int32)
bij WinUtils.WindowHelper+<>c.<_HookWindow>b__18_0(IntPtr, Int32, Int32, Int32)
bij Broo.Engine.OpenGlWindow.DispatchMessage(MSG ByRef)
bij Broo.Engine.OpenGlWindow.UnmanagedDoEvents()
bij Broo.Engine.DeviceTarget.GuiMainLoop()
bij Broo.Engine.Engine.GuiMainLoop()
bij Sooloos.Application.Main(System.String[])

and:

Logboeknaam: Application
Bron: Application Error
Datum: 28-11-2017 13:15:38
Gebeurtenis-id:1000
Taakcategorie: (100)
Niveau: Fout
Trefwoorden: Klassiek
Gebruiker: n.v.t.
Computer: HTPC
Beschrijving:
Naam van toepassing met fout: Roon.exe, versie: 1.0.0.0, tijdstempel: 0x5a134d25
Naam van module met fout: ig4icd32.dll, versie: 0.0.0.0, tijdstempel: 0x50b4034e
Uitzonderingscode: 0xc0000005
Foutmarge: 0x00053848
Id van proces met fout: 0x1e7c
Starttijd van toepassing met fout: 0x01d36819d3593aac
Pad naar toepassing met fout: C:\Users\Anton\AppData\Local\Roon\Application\Roon.exe
Pad naar module met fout: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ig4icd32.dll
Rapport-id: 9787bf10-dec1-41b5-9f6d-4caf73461f39
Volledige pakketnaam met fout:
Relatieve toepassings-id van pakket met fout:
Gebeurtenis-XML:

0x80000000000000

Application
HTPC

Roon.exe
5a134d25
ig4icd32.dll
50b4034e
c0000005
1e7c
01d36819d3593aac
C:\Users\Anton\AppData\Local\Roon\Application\Roon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ig4icd32.dll
9787bf10-dec1-41b5-9f6d-4caf73461f39

Anton

Hi Anton,

I think you have answered your own question. The graphics drivers are not WIN 10 compliant and the Event Viewer logs seem to show Roon is having an issue with the old Open GL drivers. New PC time I think unless you can find some more up to date drivers (or install a newer graphics card). Personally I would not bother, but would order a NUC to use as Roon Core. Alternatively, you could just run Roon Server on this PC and control via a Remote on another device.

Hi Tony,

yes, new PC time
 But I would like to use this one a little longer. So I have switched to Roon Server. Now hibernate seems to work, so no crashes when waking up. That was a good idea. Unfortunately, the problem not showing the audio devices remains
 So, Roon is awake, but still a bit sleepy. I will try a Wake On Lan app, but that is sub optimal

Anton

1 Like