Hidden Gems - Jazz Edition (separate thread for the protection of the jazz adverse)

here’s a hidden italian gem (I posted a link to tidal because I don’t have Roon at work and it is clickable and will play from the browser. I wish Roon would allow sharing a link instead of just an image…

2 Likes

Thanks! And not just Italian, there’s a Frenchman and an American in the group as well.

I should also note that many of the albums mentioned on this thread are available in high resolution, for those that about such things.

Not sure about Holland, but the other guys are German

I am a big fan of Peter Herbert. He’s Austrian I think. Especially like this album.

2 Likes

From what I could find via Google, Olivier Holland appears to be from Auckland, New Zealand and is a music professor at The University of Auckland. He is also featured on quite few jazz recordings as a sideman.

1 Like

Nice. Will check it out. Florian Ross is a Great Piano Player. I have several of his albums. Can recommend Blinds an shades

I see that are several Florian Ross recordings on Tidal so I will be checking a few of them out. Thanks for the recommendation.

If I remember correctly this album won some Jazz price in Germany

2 Likes

Digging deep, very deep for this one. And it’s available on Tidal

And here’s another, also on Tidal

And wait! There’s even one more on Tidal. Go Buddy Terry crazy!

2 Likes

I can’t believe that this recording is not on Tidal. In any event a pretty good sounding live recording, despite it being from 1940, of the Ellington Orchestra at the very pinnacle of their greatness. The recording clearly shows that first and foremost the Ellington Orchestra were a great live dance band.

1 Like

Not avail on tidal or qobuz

3 Likes

Worth it for the title track alone. Classic mid 1970s Gary Bartz. Electric piano ruled in the 1970s! Available on Tidal.

1 Like

This recording along with just about every other Pierre Dorge & New Jungle Orchestra album.

5 Likes

Who Krall wishes she was -

2 Likes

Agreed. One of my biggest issues with artists like Krall, who through no fault of their own but rather through the lazy media tend to suck all air out of room. What I mean is that they get all the media attention and other deserving artists get none. I’ve expressed a similar objection to Joey Alexander - he most definitely is deserving of attention, just not all the attention.

2 Likes
2 Likes

A pair of late 1980s Art Farmer recordings which were gems when they were new and are now hidden by the sands of time. Both on Tidal

3 Likes

In honor of Mardi Gras here’s a really well hidden gem by one of New Orleans native sons. Please ignore the three star rating, this recording is a solid five stars. Tidal does not have this recording but there two other Batiste recordings available, however “Late” is well worth seeking out.

4 Likes

Can’t find it anywhere.

I just checked and the Jane Ira Bloom album is available on Tidal but not the Emily Remler. I don’t have Qobuz so I don’t know if they are available. Pity about the Remler, since Catwalk is perhaps her finest recording.