Hidden Gems - Jazz Edition (separate thread for the protection of the jazz adverse)

I got a copy from discogs:

1 Like

On Bandcamp

4 Likes

1 Like

Hereā€™s a really well hidden (aka forgotten) guitar based gem from 1987 featuring Bill Frisell in attack mode with two rhythm section monsters. Might be just a little hard to find 32 years later. Try checking out some of Ronald Shannon Jacksonā€™s recordings, both with and without his band, The Decoding Society. Powerful stuff. A few of them are available on Tidal but mostly the music streaming services are hit or miss when it comes jazz from 20+ years ago, especially jazz that wasnā€™t all that popular or well known even at the time of its initial release.

2 Likes

A big Bill Frisell fan here, for sure. But the Power Tools collaboration bypassed my radar. After sampling some youtube clips I am sold. Unfortunately, as you mentioned, it appears to be a hard commodity to track down. Will have to add it to my Discogsā€™ wishlist. Thanks for the reco.

Sampled some Ronald Shannon Jackson releases as well. But it was a little too avant-garde for my taste. Will have to explore his catalog a little deeper to see if I can find a release that is more melodious to these less adventurous ears of mine. :rocket:

Thatā€™s not surprising since Jacksonā€™s resume includes stints with both Cecil Taylor and Ornette Coleman, so I can understand your reaction. Hey but I at least you gave his music a listen and learned a little more about music!

Loving this album!

Might be hard to find (aka hidden) but this one is truly a GEM!

6 Likes

If you are unfamiliar with this group, please fix that ASAP!

2 Likes

This is all I can find on Tidal or Spotify.

Really have no idea if this is obvious and mainstream or hidden. I have it on vinyl only. (Itā€™s on Tidal though)

2 Likes

That is one their newer releases and while not one of the classic late 1970s and early 1980s recordings still worth a listen.

Doesnā€™t matter about any of that since itā€™s just GOOD music. Thanks for posting it. Think of Claus Ogerman has the German GilEvans and it will give you some idea of what to expect.

I am now going to show the depth of my ignorance and admit I had to go look Bill Evans up. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Not so fast! Iā€™m sorry I meant Gil Evans, the composer, arranger and band leader, not Bill Evans, the great piano player. My bad!

Ditto off to roon to look him up. Thanks Ralph. Iā€™m expanding my horizons whilst incarceratedā€¦

Iā€™ve got all the LPs - issued on Mood records, I believe a german label. Also issued the last Nucleus album.

Great stuff.

Beautiful album. Some wonderful playing by Brecker and lovely orchestration

2 Likes

Hey look everybody a recording with Pat Metheny on it that you might not know about! Oh joy! Oh joy!
All kidding aside this is an excellent recording and Metheny is a real standout.

6 Likes

Frank Wess was 89 years young when he recorded this album. It is the only Wess album I own due to my dislike of the flute; the elder statesman of that instrument doesnā€™t touch it once here. Wess, instead, sticks exclusively to his tenor, while exploring the slower side of jazz. It is a gem for a late night listen. Available on Tidal.
RoonShareImage-637216227917129097

4 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion, itā€™s a recording I am unfamiliar with and Iā€™m looking forward to listening to it, as you suggest, late night.