High CPU Cycles Causing Connectivity Issues (ref#8N70NQ)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

I'm having trouble with my audio device

Using a Waversa WCore and cpu shows high cycles with no connectivity it seem a process has gone amok

Hi @Watchdog507 ,
Can you please confirm if the issue also occurs when you are using the iMac as the Roon Server, or does it only occur when using the WCore?
Please note that we don’t have much visibility into what is happening at a hardware-level on the WCore, the Waversa support team would be the best position to assist if this issue end up being related to the WCore itself.

This is restricted to the Waversa Core. I turned it off for a few days. Today the CPU cycles are still high. My iMac has no issues running Roon. It’s unfortunate as the WCore is very expensive.

Hi @Watchdog507,
That’s unfortunate. As I noted above we do not have much visibility into what is happening with the WCore. As you’ve isolated the issue to their hardware hopefully Waversa support will be better able to assist you.

Support from Waversa identified two isues. The WCore had insufficient RAM and my 8 tb of ripped music was causing Roon to have problems. I’ve installed 32gb of RAM however my library on my NAS is unusable. I have the QNAP NAS configured with 8 ssd’s on a very fast network but Roon has problems once the music is added.

Hi @Watchdog507,
I’m glad to see that Waversa support was able to point us in the right direction. What sort of problems are you having when you add your local music to Roon?

Roon was sluggish and the WCore was loading in-play music slowly. Sometimes just hanging. My bigger problem is understanding just where my library is in terms of being scanned by Roon to create the database. I don’t know if it’s 1K tracks or 400K. Right now it’s been running for 24 hours, with no end in sight.

The database on my NAS appears to be over 500K tracks. Even with substantial upgrades to the Ram on my WCore the resulting database makes it impossible to connect to Roon. The core becomes unresponsive. The issue I don’t understand is how the database is built why is the size an issue if it’s not accessing anything but snippets of data from the database at any time.

The way Roon works is that it has to analyze all of the music added to it. This can be a slow process, especially with larger libraries. If you try leaving it to run overnight it might finish in that time.

I gave up after two days of waiting. I wiped the Roon database and I’m considering alternatives. My new 8 SSD NAS is unusable as I have all the music in one 8tb folder on it.

I’ve left the WCore to do its analysis for days. It has scanned and indexed over 550K tracks. The problem is that the device can no longer respond. The wait screen is all that I get. Roon is overtaxed with a database this large. I’ve ripped only a portion of my disc library. It seems that the Roon database structure can’t support large libraries. The multi-core cpu and 32 gb of ram may not be the problem. I used a Roon ROCK core with an i7 cpu and 64gb of ram and it failed to support my DB.

Hi @Watchdog507, we’re looking into some performance-based improvements that are in the pipeline. Let’s reevaluate after these changes are published and see if that helps your performance issue. But the size of your library isn’t the issue.

1 Like

Thanks for the update. I’m looking forward to any positive enhancements. I think as time goes on and people build larger databases it will become more beneficial.

I have left the WCore on so that your team can look at any logs they can generate.

I’m looking forward to the update. Do you have an idea of the release schedule?

I installed the most recent updates. Unfortunately they haven’t resolved the issue of Roon loading and functioning correctly.

Ok, thanks for letting us know. We’ll keep looking for a solution.

1 Like

Hello @Watchdog507 ,

How is Roon working after updating to the latest Roon release?

I just reenabled the drive causing the issues with its size. It may take a day or two to see if it helps. I didn’t reenable the drive because the release notes for this version didn’t address large database management. If it does, I’m happy to test it out. I’ll let you know in a few days.