High CPU Usage for Roon

Update: I’ve blocked IP 34.74.77.98 on my firewall. Grepping “push” in the logs brings back similar results to the one I’ve pasted above, but the CPU is 0% after server and core restart.

The CPU was even low when the server went through a process of re-identifying albums - the CPU usage in that case was ~1-3%. After that was done the CPU went back to 0%.

The machine is an I7 running Win 10 1809.

I’ve placed home logs at the same folder above.

06/11 22:06:15 Trace: [push] retrying connection in 99239ms
06/11 22:06:25 Trace: Successful POST response from https://push.roonlabs.com/push/1/connect
06/11 22:06:25 Trace: [push] connecting to 34.74.77.98:9200
06/11 22:06:25 Trace: [push] connected
06/11 22:06:34 Trace: [push] restarting connection (Unable to read data from the transport connection: A blocking operation was interrupted by a call to WSACancelBlockingCall.)
06/11 22:06:34 Trace: [push] retrying connection in 60764ms
06/11 22:06:44 Trace: Successful POST response from https://push.roonlabs.com/push/1/connect
06/11 22:06:44 Trace: [push] connecting to 34.74.77.98:9200
06/11 22:06:44 Trace: [push] connected
06/11 22:06:44 Trace: [push] restarting connection (Unable to read data from the transport connection: A blocking operation was interrupted by a call to WSACancelBlockingCall.)
06/11 22:06:44 Trace: [push] retrying connection in 65037ms

I took the liberty of examining that parrot…

I attached Visual Studio to Roon while the CPU is at 10%, and profiled it for a few seconds. This is the result:

I hope that helps somewhat.

Hi @maoravni,

Thank you for looking into this further, and for passing on all this information.

I am going to consult with our senior technical team regarding your findings here and I will let you know as soon as I have more info to share.

– Noris

Hi @maoravni,

I appreciate your patience while I discussed this issue with the senior technical team.

Based on the information you have provided, it is possible that the corporate network may have quite a lot of MDNS traffic occurring on it, and this might be triggering the threads that you saw in the debugger.

We are going to enable an additional diagnostics mode for your account to see if we can get some more information from your Core, but for this mode to be properly activated you will need to connect to a network where Roon has access to the external IP addresses so that the command is able to go through.

Once you have done so, please reproduce the issue once more and manually submit the logs as you have done previously, and I can request that the QA team take a look at them.

Thank you once more for providing pertinent , useful debugging information, and I look forward to the results from the additional diagnostics package.

Saw your reply after 4 hours of Roon active. Have tons of logs.

This indeed seems like the mdns. I’ll start investigating here as well.

Most of the traffic seems to come from localhost_prl.

https://zerto-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/p/maor_avni/EdAURsi0V8hGpXnnBnfgRyYBhQAyH9vwSL4NV-dDX81X9A?e=3Qh5mq

Thanks for the tip.

Using wireshark I found the offending mDNS broadcaster. I opened a ticket to our IT department, and blocked the IP as a temporary solution.

Update: didn’t really work. Still a lot of mDNS from many machines.

Hi @maoravni,

Thank you for submitting those logs, I have requested the QA team to take a look and will update you once I have any further info. If there are any new updates from your end in the meantime do feel free to let us know.

I have a strong suspicion regarding the mDNS flood:

This might be Spotify trying to find devices with the same user ID on the same network.

Hi @maoravni,

Thanks for letting me know the follow-up theory! Your mDNS logs are still pending review by QA at this time, but can you let me know how you arrived to the suspicion that Spotify might be the one causing the mDNS flood and what exactly regarding Spotify you think is triggering this?

If you have Spotify installed on the work machine, is there any change if you remove this piece from the equation?

More importantly, is there any way to reproduce this behavior on your home network when using Spotify? If there are any set of reproduction steps where you can get into this state, it would be useful to note for the QA team so that we can try to reproduce on our end.

Otherwise, I will be sure to let you know once I have any additional info regarding the mDNS traces, and I will note your Spotify theory in the active ticket we have on our end.

RESOLVED - see below.
Just today Roon started pegging all 8 cores of my XEON CPU - SSD, 64GB RAM (it is not a hardware issue). Roon is in the 94% range.
It normally runs 5% or less. I uninstalled and rebooted, re-installed the 64 bit from your site - same thing. I can’t really use it now. My mouse movement is clipped too.

I’m using TIDAL, Qubuz and DSD.
The source nor the zones have no impact.

Turned out to be Settings->Library BackgroundAudioAnalysis
Was Fast 8 core and I changed to Throttled. It finished and back to 5-6%

This is not related. My library was already finished with analysis.

In Israel Spotify is relatively new and we have a trial discount for less than 1$ for three months.
Almost everyone have an account.

I signed up, and when I installed the desktop client I saw that it identifies all of the Spotify endpoints available on the network. Including my phone and my home theater receiver. Looking at the list of ports Spotify requires you can see they use mDNS.

I extrapolated that if everyone at work is using Spotify, and the clients search for running clients with the same user ID, this must be the reason for the mDNS flood.

At home I have a Roon Core running on a Core2Duo Mac Mini on Linux.

I watched the load average of this machine. The machine does nothing except being a Roon Core.

When I have Spotify open on my phone and my desktop, the load average goes up to 0.05-0.15. It doesn’t sound like much, but when Spotify is closed the load average goes down to 0.00.

Also take into account that this is not a powerful machine. It currently supports my Roon requirements.

Hi @maoravni,

Thank you for sharing that additional info, I have also added this to your case notes.
I can’t say for sure if is related, but I will be sure to let you know once I have any new updates to share.

Any update?

Just an aside. I’m an Information Security professional, and I’m amazed that you’re running your Roon Core on a PC that belongs to your employer. I’m also amazed that your corporate whitelist control actually allowed you to install Roon Core on the corporate PC.

I have zero doubt that Roon is safe, but I’d never, ever use install it on a PC that I don’t own for my own personal use.

Please consider running it only on a PC that you own.

PS - If you own the company - never mind - you have the right to accept risks, but you’re playing with fire. If you run Roon, what’s to prevent a colleague from loading malware or engaging in copyright theft by installing unpurchased software illegally?

I’m sorry, but I don’t understand your point.

What’s the difference between installing Roon, Tidal, Spotify or Foobar?

I’m asking this to understand the security point.

Hi @maoravni,

I took a look at our internal tracker today, and I can see that your ticket is still in our development queue.

This means our developers are still planning to look at this, but we don’t yet have a timeframe for when that’s going to happen.

Once the ticket has been scheduled and the investigation begins, I’ll have a better sense of timing here. Thanks in advance for your patience!

@maroavni - Best practice in the industry is not to allow personal software onto a corporate PC. There are several reasons for this, but they all boil down to reducing the risks related to “rouge” software on company devices.

In my judgement, programs like Roon/Tidal/Spotify/Foobar should never be installed on a company PC. Remember that the PC is not yours, and I’d bet that the company’s management wouldn’t be happy with self-installed software.

Besides, what will you do if you leave? Depending on the industry, your PC may be taken by your IT support/HR team as soon as you give notice to leave. This means you wouldn’t have any ability to pull your personal data off it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.