High CPU usage of remote in Wine since Build 903 - some affected users but apparently not everyone

ii  wine-devel           7.3~bullseye-1 amd64        WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs
wine-7.2-1.fc35.x86_64

Using these packages on Debian (devel, not staging!) and Fedora 35 resp., install with spockfish’s script, Roon runs stable with the known issue. On iPad or Android no problems whatsoever. Maybe the performance problem miraculously will vanish tomorrow with the new release.

That being said, the lack of Linux support sure is annoying, though, from Roon’s (i.e. the developer’s) point of view, it might be understandable. But from the user’s point of view, even if it works, you always have to expect that something breaks and you are on your own.

I use LMS in parallel, not as shiny as Roon, but with all the functionality I use with Roon (hqplayer), even things that Roon does not have to offer, e.g. podcasts, operated from any device with a browser, open source and free.

1 Like

Same issue with build 911 unfortunately

1 Like

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/high-cpu-usage-of-remote-in-wine-since-build-903-some-affected-users-but-apparently-not-everyone/189074/44?u=suedkiez

htop of course shows each core separately in the bar “graphic” on top, but in the list shows the same ~80% for Roon and 30% for wine as top does

Yes, I installed htop this evening to confirm what I was seeing elsewhere.

Not sure what to make of this - Like others, when running Roon remote, using spockfish’s script, on my laptop (Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon), Htop reports CPU percentage usage of around 85% for Roon.exe and around 35% for wineserver64. At this CPU usage you would expected the laptop’s fan to be working hard and the CPU temperature would be high. But the fan is idle, the CPU Temp averages 45 degrees and tubo boost is not engaged. System monitor reports Roon.exe using 10% of CPU and wineserve64 using 4% of CPU.

Roon on wine seems to use only 1 core and most of the monitor tools sum up over all cores/cpus. The high cpu load seems to be purely an idle problem. If I move the mouse over the various sections on the home page, the load goes down…

3 posts up or so:
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/high-cpu-usage-of-remote-in-wine-since-build-903-some-affected-users-but-apparently-not-everyone/189074/44?u=suedkiez

As for the fan, I have the 85% Roon and 35% wineserver and my fan IS working hard.

1 Like

Upgraded to the Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy development version, but no change :cry:

Tried with Codeweavers Crossover 21, but that didn’t help either

Same problem here.
Roon Remote 1.8 build 913 on Dell 5410 with i5-10310U CPU and 16GB RAM.
Ubuntu 20.04 and Wine 5.0-3ubuntu1
Laptop fan works hard. It’s better to start playing something and close the remote until its fixed.
This was not a problem with versions before 903 I guess.

roon913_wine_

2 Likes

Same issue here with Ubuntu 21.10 and Wine 903

1 Like

Still the same with build 918

1 Like

Just out of curiosity. As it seems that Roon Labs put a lot of effort into support/enhancing experience for systems with higher frequency displays, what are the monitors/monitor settings (regarding refresh rate) for affected users (and those without issues too)?

60 Hz for me, Ubuntu default in the Displays setting

I’m not sure if that counts. Under real Windows the standard desktop refresh rate and the one that gets used for GPU accelerated content (OpenGL, DirectX, …) are two distinct entities. So mesa (I guess is responsible on Linux?) may also use a different refresh rate limit (if the monitor allows for it)?

glxgears gives me the same 60 fps and says “Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.”

I have no idea what I’m doing, are there better checks?

I don’t know but to me glxgears sounds pretty valid as a test case.

1 Like

Roon Support, please help us somohow. It worked fine until build 903.
I have paid my third year of subscription. I had to fight the installation in Wine. Everything already seemed to be OK and now this.

By the way, I’m surprised that if TIDAL can be used via web UI, why doesn’t Roon work like that?

I agree that a web-based Roon Remote would be nice. But I do understand their decision not to make one. Developing and supporting yet another platform would take significant resources.

I’ve been a Linux desktop and workstation user (exclusively) since 2001. I did try Windows apps on Wine a few times over the years, but found the experience frustratingly poor. For Roon, I bought a $100 Android tablet (Amazon Kindle Fire) and use it as my Roon Remote. It works great. Roon makes the apk file available so you can install it outside of the App Store. I’d much rather use a small tablet to play music than my desktop computer, anyway. You can run an Android emulator on Linux. Perhaps that would work better for you than Wine.

Playing from the tablet is fine, making metadata edits is not.

(And having it running on my laptop, without the fan going mad, and always available without a second device is preferable in any case. But yeah, maybe an Android emulator is preferable now, will have to try)