High CPU usage of remote in Wine since Build 903 - some affected users but apparently not everyone

Web UI is universal nowadays. It is certainly worth the effort. If we can manage servers through console running in browser or play games running on remote server, why not something so versatile like web UI?

I can accept a simpler user interface comparing to native app but still, GUI in Roon Remote is not a rocket science. It show playlists, current playing song, a cover… What’s so complicated in it? First of all, it is not freeware. We CAN have some expectations.

First stop, Anbox on Ubuntu. Complete failure, Roon does not even start. But I can already tell that it would be clunky as hell if it did start. Not a replacement for Wine

Yep. I was afraid of that. By the way, it took me a while to get used to a tablet (I’ve never used one before). Editing metadata in those tiny text input fields was a pain. I kept making simple mistakes, etc. But over time, I got the hang of it, and now, it’s almost effortless. No, not as easy as with a mouse and keyboard, but not bad. Having to spend hours on my workstation on a daily basis, I very much prefer to not use a computer for music. That’s partly why I went with Roon. I wanted a computer-free listening environment. Well, technically, a tablet is a computer, but I can almost pretend it’s not :slight_smile:

I am not very clumsy with it, but I have lots of music that the metadata sources know little about and editing the track credits of batch of, say, 30 records on the tablet is still out of the question.

Yes, there are alternatives like a keyboard for the tablet, or buying a Macbook Air just for Roon, and so on. But they are all inferior to a working wine as it was until build 903 :slight_smile:

You gave me an idea to try to run Roon Remove in a VM on my Linux desktop. I installed Windows 10 in Virtualbox and then I installed Roon. Unfortunately, Roon won’t launch complaining that it cannot find WGL functions. I thought that might be an alternative way of using Roon on Linux.

Have you ever tried running Windows 10 Roon Remote in a VM? Or is it not going to work without OpenGL?

Of course OpenGL support is needed:

grafik

In VirtualBox the 3D stuff was for the longest time optional. I haven’t used it in years but maybe it still is and you may have to enable it in the settings.

Look here
https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=82614

I guess in VMware it should work out of the box.

I was thinking about trying this, too, but just for one app is an incredibly heavy solution, in particular compared to how lightweight and quick it was with Wine.

I think I’d rather buy a MacBook Air (or live with the fan in Wine and close the app when not needed) before I saddle myself with Windows, its issues and continuous intrusive updates :slight_smile:

1 Like

I see the problem since a while too. Don’t know after which update exactly but noticed the fan on my laptop turning and staying on.

On my desktop I see a high CPU usage by roon.exe and wineserver64:

Desktop system:

Operating System: Kubuntu 21.04
KDE Plasma Version: 5.22.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.86.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2
Kernel Version: 5.11.0-49-generic (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 4 × AMD Ryzen 3 2200G with Radeon Vega Graphics
Memory: 5.7 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: AMD Radeon™ Vega 8 Graphics
Wine version: wine-5.0.3 (Ubuntu 5.0.3-3)

On my laptop I am running Kubuntu 21.10 and using the 32-bit version of Roon.

Would be nice if it can be resolved in some way.

Cheers, Joost

1 Like

You can install Chrome Os, e.g. on a USB disk, but you need a second pc.

And how is the Roon Windows app going to run on ChromeOS? As far as I can tell this needs either a Parallels VM with a Windows installation or running Roon in Wine. Is there another way? Because else this leaves us where we already are. Unless, of course, the behavior in Wine is different, but does anyone know?

You install it from the Play Store.

Ah the Android version. Forgot about that :crazy_face: Thanks

Okay, you gave me a lot to think about. I was able to install Roon in Windows 10 in VirtualBox on my Ubuntu 20.04 (5.11.0-46-generic kernel, AMD Radeon RX470, amdgpu driver, X11). So far, all of the features appear to be working very nicely. Performance is snappy. I don’t have a Windows machine to compare it, though. I had a Windows 7 Pro license, so I installed W7 and then did the free upgrade to W10, with legal activation. One thing to note, I could not get it to work with open source graphics drivers on my host system, I had to install the AMD driver. I also use an older kernel because I find it works great with my hardware. YMMV. Edit: I forgot to mention that you need to install the Guest Additions first in your Windows 10 install.

I solved the OpenGL problem by using the MESA3D for Windows library. Just follow the instructions on that webpage and you should be okay, if you want to go that route.

I attach a couple of screenshots below. Good luck!

3 Likes

You guessed it, no change with 923

2 Likes

Bummer. Any theory of why that might be?

Not really, maybe the work recently done for high refresh rates

Wondering WHY do I need high refresh rates in AUDIO play control application. I need stability which was recently problematic even on my android app.

Because it does not just play. People wanted smoother scrolling, for instance

I have a pretty smooth scrolling on listen.tidal.com and it’s through the web interface :slight_smile:

Well I don’t know, it seems the rage on iOS and people were complaining