High CPU usage of remote in Wine since Build 903 - some affected users but apparently not everyone

That might be it.

Meanwhile, I also was able to install Roon Remote in Genymotion, an Android emulator, and find it to work beautifully, with full Android app functionality, including metadata editing. Performance is flawless, better than on my actual Android tablet. Here’s a screen shot, but I’d be happy to upload a video screen recording if you’re interested. I have it running as a tablet in a window, but you can make it run full screen, making the experience native-like.

2 Likes

I briefly looked into Genymotion previously and stopped when I saw $412/year, but now I see there is a free version without support. I guess this is the way to go then, many thanks for making me look again!

Yeah, my understanding is that it is free for personal use, which it certainly qualifies.

1 Like

With the freakin’ huge “Free for personal use” overlay over everything, light solid gray if you use the dark theme :joy:
2-finger scrolling on the trackpad does not work for me (setup issue?), just press + drag, but I have a touchscreen on the laptop that works, which might be doable

The “Free” overlay will be very hard to live with, though

OK I think I have found the showstopper: When Roon is idle, the VBoxHeadless process uses about 25% CPU in top - not great but oh well, at least no fan. However, as soon as I play music, the CPU jumps to about 130% - I suppose the notch in the progress bar. Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Also it crashes quite a lot. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted

You mean when running the Android emulator? On my workstation, the CPU is barely working. I get very smooth operation, better than on my tablet. No crashes, either.

One thing that occurred to me with high CPU usage on Wine, is hardware acceleration. On my system, it takes a very specific combination of kernel, Xorg settings, and proprietary video drivers to get hardware-accelerated software to work properly.

Yes, when playing something in Roon in the emulator, but it’s the virtualbox process that freaks out. I was running fullscreen (and have a 4K touch display), maybe that makes a difference. Anyway, can’t be bothered because I can’t live with the overlay. But thanks in any case!

Wine: possibly, but I have a bog standard Intel graphics card and I don’t think I have a problem. Though I don’t run any games, so who knows - but I thought the Gnome compositor stuff runs accelerated anyway? And my glxgears info is fine too

I’m getting tired of this, it has become a bit of a waste of time :slight_smile:

If you’re running a wayland-capable system you may want to try running the android app via waydroid

1 Like

Not installable unfortunately from packages on Ubuntu 22.04 due to a python compatibility issue. Their latest repo is for Hirsute.

Could surely be installed from sources, but I’m not motivated because I realized that jumping to artists by keyboard in the album view won’t probably work with the Android version.

Now it hurts even more :wink: because Roon’s dark theme now looks good (not gray) in Wine under Wayland. The gray rendering was the only reason I reverted back to using Xorg when I started using Roon. Meaning it would be perfect now if not for the new CPU usage

I tried WayDroid on Fedora 35, and it’s a non-starter if you’ve got an AMD or Nvidia GPU. So, I installed Roon on Wine, and see the same resource hog.

Furthermore, for some reason, I get washed out colours in Roon. Any ideas? It’s fine on Ubuntu.

Finally, start_my_roon_instance.sh needs updating since Roon installs to 'drive_c/users/<userid>/AppData/Local/Roon/Application/Roon.exe'now.

I’m running wine-7.2 (Staging) on Fedora 35 with Gnome 41.5 and Wayland. [Apple Inc. MacBookPro13,3, Intel® Core™ i7-6820HQ CPU @ 2.70GHz × 8, AMD® Radeon rx graphics]

I had the same washed out colors under Wayland up to Ubuntu 21.10. It’s what I referred to as “grey” in the post above.
Was fine under Xorg, so I reverted to that.

Recently I upgraded to the beta of Ubuntu 22.04 and the washed out colors are fixed under Wayland. Don’t know exactly which of the updates did that.

1 Like

Thanks for that information. I’m currently trying Fedora as I wanted a more recent (vanilla) Gnome implementation.

However, I think I may give Ubuntu 22.04 beta a spin in a VM. It should be released by the time my new laptop arrives, which has an Intel Iris Xe GPU, so I may be fine with WayDroid.

The washed out gray look was an issue with Wayland. It’s fixed in Fedora 36 as well.

1 Like

Build 933 still the same problem :frowning:

A post was split to a new topic: Problem Installing Roon on Ubuntu - Help Wanted

Running Roon 32bit in Bottles still “runs bitcoin mining” on my laptop CPU :frowning:

2 Likes

My solution to resolve this: installation of build 898. The latest version, which did not render static booklet images at 240fps and did not do bitcoin mining in background :smiley:
In linux/wine enviroment I can have 898 and latest version installed in separate directories and can compare newest version whether it was fixed or not.

1 Like

Is this problem actively being looked into by Roon? This is the only way I know to control the music from a Linux machine.

I’ve got two desktop computers and one laptop, all running Pop!_OS 22.04. They all have this CPU problem. It’s especially annoying on the laptop because the fan blows all the time.

First I used the roon-on-wine script on the laptop and got the problem. This was using Wine installed from the Pop!_Shop, which is version wine-6.0.3.

Then I tried using Roon on Bottles, as I wrote up here:

With this approach, it uses wine-7.11 but the CPU problem is still there. Then I installed Wine on Bottles on my two desktop computers, and they both have the CPU problem too.

It would be so nice if this were fixed.

Pop!_OS 22.04
Kernel 5.17.5-76051705-generic
Roon 1.8 (Build 970)

I have this issue too, very annoying. I don’t think Roon will look into this since Roon on Wine is not officially supported

Yes but that’s exactly why they should look into it. If the controller works on Wine, they have an excuse not to develop a Linux controller themselves. If it doesn’t work well on Wine, we’ll keep on bitching about the lack of a Linux controller.

1 Like