High CPU usage of remote in Wine since Build 903 - some affected users but apparently not everyone

Hence my confusion. Your explanation makes sense, I just didn’t see it :slight_smile:

I have fairly distributed setup, here’s the info in case anyone is interested-

• Roon Core is running on a Debian Linux VM (on a host with Dual Xeon 2.2GHz 10-Core CPUs and 128GB RAM; Roon has 4 Cores and 8GB RAM dedicated)
  • Storage is on a custom 20TB TrueNAS host, connected via SMB via a 10GbE SFP+ link
  • Endpoints (Roon Bridges, all Linux): NUC10i3 in my Listening Room with two DACs (one for the Listening Room, one for the amp that run my outdoor speakers), Rasberry Pi for the Kitchen, another Pi fo the Family Room, and then my office computer (the subject of my previous posts)
  • For controllers I use a smattering of iPad, iPhone, and my desktop (Linux) in my office

Sorry for any confusion by not laying this out earlier.

My fault, I am a simple man

Same here. I’ve always installed native RoonBridge on Linux, so I can use a connected DAC. It also means I don’t need to run the GUI in Wine / Bottles when listening to music.

Earlier on I was hoping there was a hint of a solution to this high-CPU problem.

BTW, my core runs on ROCK.

Facing the same issue on a ThinkPad T480s running Ubuntu 22.04.1. The situation is a bit hopeless, huh…?

Not hopeless… Roon works fine, and the high CPU usage isn’t a big issue if you have plenty of resources (cores / threads.) I run native bridge, and close down the GUI when not in use.

It is an issue. Fan noise and significantly higher power consumption. It matters a little in today’s times of expensive energy.

It is if you are on a laptop and it’s killing your battery life.

It is an issue, it means constant noisy fans and one hour battery runtime on my :fire: laptop

Best solution for me was to install pre-903 version. It is necessary to quickly disable auto-upgrade. It has to be done very quick before it updates to newer version. And even then the call to update appears often. And sooner or later I would click on this so I need to reinstall.
Knows anybody how to disable auto update and update prompts with some CLI parameter during install or execution?

Same problem for me here, still not fixed.

1 Like

I have recently moved my core to newer NUC and from Linux do Windows 11. I am running Roon server installation with Roon GUI installation on the same PC. I will be accessing server through RDP. This seemed to me to be the best solution to the problem with operation in Linux :frowning:

It looks like the GUI puts a higher load on the PC than the Roon Server itself. With GUI running the load goes sometimes to 30% while the app does basically nothing. And that means higher fan RPM and noise.
I think something is wrong with GUI implementation. As controller interface it should be lightweight and easy on CPU. This time I am not using linux but Windows!

Without GUI the load is up to 5% (Intel NUC Core-i5 10th Gen, SSD, 32GB RAM).

The GUI issue seems most likely to be the 120 Hz refresh rate as it started to happen after this was implemented for smoother scrolling for the Apple folk. At least that’s what we thought to have found out further up in the thread.
My guess would be that the graphics stack under Wine doesn’t deal well with this - though it was never pinpointed if that’s limited to certain versions of Mesa, graphics drivers, compositors, or whatever. Xorg vs Wayland made no difference for me

If there is not “120Hz off” switch then we can’t do anything. There should be some “Advanced” tab in settings to switch off such useless things. Again, it is a controll interface. Come on Roon staff!

1 Like

And such a switch was requested as a simple workaround further up in the thread :slight_smile:

Personally, I have since switched to a MacBook Air M2 and iPad Pro for various reasons (after 30 years of nearly exclusive Linux use) but not least because of this issue.

While I appreciate much of how that works, I can’t say that I notice a difference in smoothness compared to using Roon with Wine on Ubuntu on my previous Dell XPS 8th gen with Intel graphics, even after the problem started and one core was pegged at 100% load, so I don’t know how that’s worth it or why there was so much whining by Apple users that forced Roon to implement the 120 Hz refresh.

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

I’ve just tried this again on my new Gentoo box and it’s working without and CPU issues. For reference my stack looks like:

• wine v7.0.1
  • using the AMDGPU driver
  • X Windows only, I’ve outlawed Wayland on here :wink:

I used the install steps from:

Are you suggesting that the issue is with Wayland, or simply describing your system?

I’ve made a few attempts of Ubuntu 22.04 recently using Wayland and Bottle with no success.

I’ll take a snapshot over the weekend and try the script again on Wayland and X.

I have an Intel GPU.

I’m generally suspicious of Wayland and it wouldn’t surprise me at all. I didn’t eliminate it because of the Roon issues, more an accumulation of annoying issues. I’d describe it as a biased guess.

1 Like

In my system the issue occurred with both X and Wayland, and both with the installation script and my own manual installation.

I’m pleased you mentioned this, as I couldn’t recall if I’d only tried using Wayland. I think I’ll give the script another go, and see what happens. The other alternative, using Waydroid, is a non-starter since scrolling doesn’t work with the Roon app.