High CPU usage of remote in Wine since Build 903 - some affected users but apparently not everyone

I should add that I tried it both with the Intel GPU and the secondary amdgpu with the same result. Whatever I tried on that Dell XPS, the high CPU never went away after bild 903

I have a Dell XPS 13 with onboard graphics. I have a couple of theories and will give this a go.

I wonā€™t be able to confirm though, because mine was bricked after a firmware update and Iā€™ve had it now with desktop Linux after 30 years. Sad but true

Sad, yes. Iā€™m now exclusively Linux on the desktop. Iā€™ve had in with Apple after living with a 2016 MacBook Pro 15". Faulty screen, faulty keyboard, fatigue fractures in the aluminium body, and finally dead. Now Iā€™m running Ubuntu 22.04 on a Star Labs StarBook.

Only an iPad and iPhone, which will be replaced at some point with de-Googled devices.

1 Like

Experiences can differ so much :slight_smile:

After some ThinkPad work laptops that I hated, I had a 2009 Macbook Pro with Ubuntu that ran faultlessly for 9 years and felt like someone had actually taken the time to use it in practice.

Then the Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 which was expensive, had a very buggy touchpad (also in Windows), was worse in every single practical detail (Dell should spend 2K on a Macbook to see how to do it), needed a new keyboard after 4 years, and then promptly was bricked apparently by a firmware updated coming through LVFS. 2.5K for 4 years, oh well.

Now back to Apple with an Air & iPad Pro. I really appreciate that it just works. It runs rings around the poorly designed new XPS 13 which is a bad joke, the slower one feeling like itā€™s 10 years old just to get battery runtime that is somewhat comparable to an Air, and the faster one having no battery runtime at all. And still has the same hardware design flaws all around, plus some new ones, making it really disappointing while more expensive than an Air.

Iā€™d have loved to have Linux on the Air but not feeling constrained by macOS at all. Extending the screen wirelessly to the iPad is just beautiful and thatā€™s just one of many nice design details. And Ubuntu in Parallels runs just as well as it ever did on the Intel machines. And no fans. Finally. Oh, and Roon works without cooking my thighs.

I hadnā€™t found the Star Labs StarBook, that looks like a somewhat reasonable option, but always hard to tell without touching. The XPS had looked fine too. Does the keyboard backlight turn on and off automatically and can the lid be opened with one hand?

This is why I decided to go for a purpose-built Linux laptop. So far, Iā€™m not disappointed.

But, Iā€™m still getting 65-70% CPU utilization using the Roon on Wine script. Fan on continuously. :frowning:

I had looked for a while for dedicated Linux laptops. The ones I found didnā€™t impress me but yours would definitely have been a contender if I had found it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Shall I try with X11 instead of Wayland? Sort of running out of options now.

Try, itā€™s just a login menu option if you run Ubuntu. Didnā€™t do anything for me but who knows

I was going to get to that. Iā€™m unconvinced this is enough to ensure that no Wayland libraries are in use behind the scenes. For my part, I need to reproduce the problem. For the workstation I took advantage of Gentooā€™s build system and compiled the entire stack with Wayland dependencies banned, from kernel to Wine. Will experiment with reintroducing elements and see where it gets me.

I donā€™t know what dependencies that are built into libraries would do if they donā€™t get loaded. My bet would be more on the desktop compositor, I used gnome-shell in either case.

Anyway, life is too short now for stuff like this. It was fun in 1993.

1 Like

Before playing with Wayland and X11, I thought Iā€™d try playing around with cpulimit. So far, fan noise nearly eliminated with reasonable performance. Iā€™ll post updates once Iā€™ve got the right balance.

2 Likes

Okay, initially this looked promising. However, whilst I can switch between screens and settings, the performance is unacceptable as soon as I want to scroll through a listā€“reminds me of the erratic scrolling sometimes seen on iOS.

Moreover, throttling too much and Roon will crash. Iā€™ll try a few more tweaks to see if there is a sweet spot.

I note that RAATServer.exe persist after closing Roon.exe. Is this process needed when Iā€™m not running the server?

UPDATE: This is a non-starter.

Plan C is to install Windows 10 on a VM and see if this is a workable solution.

Doesnā€™t work well with Xorg either. Tried Windows 10 in Boxes, but not ideal, and doesnā€™t sit well with me either (feels like an archaic OS, too.)

So, my options are limited. (a) live with high CPU when I need to do edits, (b) get a tablet that gives me a fully featured Roon experience, or (c) a custom Linux build.

Iā€™ve tried a few different distributions over the weekendā€”Arch-based, Debian-based, Redhat-derived package managementā€”and the installation failed on everyone of them. Basically, I couldnā€™t get the installer to run with a 64-bit Windows 10 prefix.

Iā€™m done with tinkering now. So, it looks like Roon is no good on Linux anymore, and Iā€™ll have to use a tablet.

On a positive note, I like Manjaro, and Iā€™m using this now as my daily driver.

2 Likes

Having this issue as well for a while now on my Pop!_OS (debian based) ThinkPad X280. Itā€™s not terrible, CPU usage of 10-12% constantly, but it means the CPU always eats power and the fans never stop. Battery life dwindles when Roon is running.

Looks like itā€™s a non-starter for us laptop folk. Iā€™m fine with it on desktop, but with a battery itā€™s a real showstopper. Oh well. Iā€™ll use my phone to control Roon while on my laptop I guess.

Yes, this is my conclusion, too. Consequently, I have reluctantly purchased a Windows 10 Professional licence, and now run Roon via a Boxes VM. Apart from the fact that Windows is archaic and unpleasant to use, itā€™s a reasonable solution for a Ā£35 outlay and 32 GB disk space.

Weird. Works flawlessly using spockfishā€™s script for me using wine-staging. Were you setting the wine prefix manually during testing?

The issue is not installing Roon on Wine, but the high CPU usage, i.e., the laptop fan is running full tilt.

Are you running this on a laptop? If so, what distribution, windows manager etc. are you using?

Yes, Iā€™m running it on a laptop. Pop_OS! 22.04. Gnome on Wayland

1 Like