High CPU Usage on Mac Mini 2018

So I’m now running Roon.app 1.6 built 475 on my 6-core Mac Mini, and have been for a week or more. I’m not seeing the high CPU condition anymore, but I’m wary of it returning again. (macOS 10.14.6)

@RoonDevs: can you confirm that the issue was identified and corrected in this new build? Or is this still something that is popping up randomly for people?

Hi @Dan_Backman,

We did not specifically address this issue in our latest release (Catalina fix), but there were quite a few changes under the hood for that release. Does the CPU appear to be as expected even after a few days?

I have not seen the high CPU condition in Roon.app on macOS (Mojave) since the latest roon update (build 475)

1 Like

The problem with warming up mac mini is for me seems solved. For several weeks everything is fine, there are no problems. Eventually everything seems to turn out well. Thanks Roon.

This is still not solved for me. I am running the very latest version of the client. Every time I open the Roon client, the CPU usage immediately goes up to 300-400% and stays there. I am using a mac mini 2018. I notice that according to the network monitor, the RAAT server has very high network usage (my roon server is running on a different machine that runs linux). In only 5 minutes or so, the network monitor said RAAT server transferred 10+ gigabytes of data. I don’t understand why it would be doing that, because I was not playing any music.

I am having a similar issue with a 2018 Mac Mini. RoonServer pegs the CPU, even without opening a Roon client or playing any music.

I’ve tried restarting RoonServer, but it never settles down after start (i.e. consumes whatever CPU is available).

RoonServer is perpetually hovering at 80% CPU utilization.

And, it is hammering the network. At first, I was suspect that it was reading my music files which are on a NAS (WD MyCloudEXT2Ultra). But, that device shows itself to be completely idle.

Then I looked at the open files / ports; RoonServer seems to have a number of connections open to itself (localhost).

localhost:9004->localhost:57130
->0xe0b86e8100379dcd
->0xe0b86e8100379a0d
localhost:57124->localhost:57136

I don’t know if any of that helps, but I think leaving RoonServer running 24/7 is a problem, for now.

I updated my Mac Mini to Catalina and… problem is gone. Reboots, playing music, browsing music… no more CPU and network spikes.

Will report if this behavior returns. Weird.

Unfortunately, even with the latest versions of Catalina (10.15.2) and Roon (1.7 build 505), I still get this seemingly randomly. I managed to catch this sudden spike just now. I haven’t even used Roon in the last week or so. My 6-core 2018 Mini had been idling normally around 5% for a long time, when it suddenly shot up to over 50% and stayed there until I rebooted. Here are the process samples for the processes that all shot up at the same time: RoonServer, RAAT, the Deep Harmony plugin, and node.

Wonder if the T2 chip in these newer systems is having some impact here. My 2018 mbp15” i9 also has this now and then but I seldom use unless I’m traveling.

This behavior has returned. I can’t leave Roon Server running 24/7 on my Mac Mini - without fail, I come home from work and the Mac Mini is warm to the touch. I remote desktop in and, sure enough, the CPU utilization is very high.

I can’t believe this is caused by Roon “…downloading new metadata for your albums…”.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this?

I have MacOS Catalina 10.15.4 and mac mini 2018. Again, there is a high CPU usage as last year … I am sure that new mac computers are totally unsuitable for running Roon. Problems keep coming back and forth. Thank you. Attaching picture.

turning wifi off and on seems to help based on responses I’ve seen in other similar threads. I wonder if you have both LAN and Wifi connections this could be an issue.

I’ve seen this now a few times, and I’m beginning to see a pattern. For me, it has happened after an update of the Roon app. It then goes away if I reboot the Mac!

Restart helped, I’m just curious for how long. Mac traffic-don’t lose hope … :))

I have experienced the same and came to the same conclusion.

Restart always helps. The problem is that I do this every day before I turn on Roon, restart MacMini … Every day !! The solution will probably not update mac…and neither Roon, if everything works … I’m starting to think about a streaming solution, macmini will not be a reliable solution.

I don’t know about that… I use my Mac Mini a lot for streaming music (and movies) and needing to reboot for Roon has been pretty rare.

1 Like

I’ve been having this issue for a long time. Every time I start playing something in my Mac mini 2018 CPU use goes up and the CPU temperature goes up from around 55C to 75C-85C. I’m afraid with those temperatures my Mac mini will be damaged. I tried running Roon Bridge before launching Roon and it’s the same problem.

Odd that these are ALL Macs with T2 chips that seem to be doing this.