High CPU usage when idle

Similar like this High CPU load when idle / memory usage - #7 by Grzegorz_Gromadzki
I have Roon Core running on dedicated media laptop (Asus Zenbook, i7, LAN, Win 10), and after awhile and after i RDP into that machine few times, Roon starts consuming ~30% CPU even while not playing anything, and there’s no background scanning.
After I restart Roon, it goes back to normal, and then i notice it again in a few days when I RDP back into that computer.

Do I need to start using Teamviewer instead of Win Remote Desktop?

Does Roon plan to fix this issue?

Hello @Hrvoje_Hudo,

Just a fellow user here, and one without MS Windows experience since Windows 95… But…

What I would do (and what I do regularly on my Linux Roon server) is to watch the Roon server log file in realtime, to find out what Roon is doing when its CPU usage goes up without you playing back anything. I am quite sure that Roon’s backend is doing something, and you can find out for yourself:

I’ve googled for a Windows equivalent of the Linux tail command, which let’s you watch the entries of a log file in the moment when they are written… I’ve found this:

Windows equivalent of the Unix 'tail' command | bobbyhadz.

If you need help with locating your Roon log files, you can refer to this knowledge base article:

Thanks for the reply, but there’s nothing happening in the logs. I think the issue is actually how Windows RDP interacts with their proprietary UI (OpenGL?) framework.
It probably requires taking a memory dump of roon process and digging in with a debugger, but that can some roon engineer do, and its quite easy to reproduce this issue.

Hi @Hrvoje_Hudo,

Thank you for your patience. While the symptoms resemble previous reports from 2022, there have been structural changes to RoonServer that require us to gather more contextual information to investigate this report.

We’ll still require system logs from the affected server install. We can enable more verbose logging on your account with your permission, but please note your device has not reached our servers in some time, so we’re unable to request these remotely until the laptop is back online. At your convenience, please use the directions found here and send over a set of logs to our File Uploader.

Secondly, we’re hoping for a field reproduction event to equip our QA team. Please reproduce the issue at your convenience and provide us with an approximate timestamp so we can remove additional variables in play here.

You can install RoonServer on your media laptop in place of Roon, which will remove the GUI component of the app and retain only the Core server. You’ll need to rely on Roon Remote on your other machines to control playback.

I have Roon Core running now, purchased new computer and reinstalled Windows 11/Roon. Enabled RDP and notice 5-10% CPU or Roon process usage when idle.
When I restart Roon Core, CPU usage drops to 0-0.1%.
You should be able to see my account now active and feel free to enable verbose logging. I RDPed in again and process usage went up again to 5-10%, will leave it like that for a few days!

Maybe I’ll have to switch to Roon Server, but sometimes i don’t have other computer to use it as Roon Remote…

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.