High CPU usage when resampling

Roon mostly seems to use around 8% CPU when playing tracks from my library without resampling. This is higher than JRiver’s 3% average but acceptable. When resampling from 192 to 96 kHz (my DAC’s maximum), CPU usage for Roon jumps to around 35-40% whereas JRiver only goes to around 8%. Is this to be expected and are others finding this?

Apart from this Roon is running well on my system. I’m using a MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) with a 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 processor and 8 GB of RAM - my music library is stored on an external drive connected via USB3.

Our down sampler is one of the best down samplers in the industry, built by Meridian’s core DSP team! :smile:

It may take some extra horsepower, but you won’t be able to complain about the sound quality, even when compared to JRiver.

No complaints at all about Roon sound quality. But I checked the same album in Audirvana+ and it only uses about 4% CPU on playback when resampling from 192 to 96kHz.

It’s no big problem for me as most of my albums are 96kHz or below but it would be good to see CPU efficiency taken into account when further developing DSP.

Apart from that, the more I get into Roon the more I like it :smile:

Chris