High-end headphones with 8 cm earbuds (height)

It seems that many headphones have 7cm as standard height - see illustration

But somehow the nature has given me ears with 8 cm in height.

I wanted to buy Meze Liric - but they only have 7 cm. I could go to the hospital and let then cut 1 cm of my ears :slight_smile: But probably not a good idea :slight_smile:

Any good suggestion some nice high-end 8 cm headphones?

PS: Sorry if this a bit off-topic :slight_smile:

Have a nice week-end

Gretings from Hamburg
Torben

2 Likes

My senheiser hd800 feel enormous but I’m not at home now. Can look Monday.

1 Like

7.6 I’m afraid

1 Like
3 Likes

The egg-shaped Hifimans are pretty large, about 3.5in or almost 9cm, for the Arya.

3 Likes

Hi Torben yep can confirm @idyllic_pushpin with the Hifiman Arya.

On mine - Left pad is 8.7mm Right pad is 9.0mm.

Great sound details from them as well. Just a reminder they are open back and depending on volume, people will definitely know what you are listening too.

1 Like

Thanks @idyllic_pushpin and @Fergus_B :slight_smile:

I will have to place HiFiMan Arya Stealth Magnet Edition on my short list - if I don’t find any closed.

Are they “hard” to drive?

PS: I just ordered Meze Rai Penta and will use these IEM with my iFi Go Bar. But probably need more “power” to drive a paar of HiFiMan Arya Stealth Magnet

Not really. You might need a balanced cable, but probably not. If you have good IEMs, you might not need closed headphones? I use IEMs when I don’t want to disturb others.

1 Like

@Torben_Rick i believe their impedance is 32ohm and I did read in a couple of reviews that they had to be really pushed, however my experience with them has been pretty good with the following:

Rotel A14 MKII, Matrix Mini-I Pro 3, IFI XDSD Gryphon and even Dragonfly Cobalt (but with power attached to Apple Camera Adapter. Haven’t tried without as I would not wear them outside on the dog walk!!) Actually listening on Cobalt now to Matthew Halsall - Salute to the Sun and soundstage and separation of instruments is superb IMHO.

DSD is also superb and moved on now to Stories by Jan Gunnar Hoff as I saw previously you said you purchased some of his work. Hope this helps.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

I will look forward to your impression of these.

First impression :slight_smile: Great SQ :slight_smile: More later this WE

1 Like

My auricles are also 8cm and I’m wearing glasses. Glasses is a problem too. At this moment with headphones I think you can choose between “in-ear”, Over-ear” and “On-ears”. The sound quality of my closed Beyerdynamic headphone with Tesla coils is superb. The problem is that they are on-ears. After 2 hours listening my ears feeling cripple and like faling off. Really never thought about it. My next headphone has to be closed, over-ear and preferably wireless. Suggestions are very welcome indeed.