High GPU usage (+90%) on Mac Pro 2013 running Roon Core with no interaction

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Description Of Issue

When Roon Core is application window is open on full screen, in certain cases one of my GPU cards are fully utilised even though the screen is not being interacted with. It feels like happening more on an album detail page, but happened before on overview pages as well. This is only on the Core machine.
I think there’s a massive GPU-compute leak somewhere. As Mac Pro is constantly on and it’s a very silent machine underload, it’s really hard to notice when this is happening. I can confirm that yesterday evening (2nd of June, 8pm UK time) I realised that it was under load for hours, if you need to download logs and have a look.

This is rather annoying and wasn’t an issue couple releases ago. I’ve seen similar posts on this on the forum, still pending resolution. Could you please investigate? Happy to provide any resources that will help with the investigation.

Thanks,
Yargi

Hello @Yargi_Erel, thanks for your report! You are correct, we have also been observing the other similar posts and have opened up an active investigation that has been passed over to our team. We appreciate your patience while we work towards a solution! I’ll add your name to the investigation so we can notify you when the solution is developed.

In the meantime, I have seen users reporting high CPU and GPU as soon as they open Roon, it sounds like yours only happens when the application is full screen? Are you seeing this behavior on any other devices?

Check this out: macOS Catalina interface laggy randomly while running Roon (High GPU usage randomly, Roon idle 20% GPU, sometimes up to 99% usage)

1 Like

Hi @nuwriy,

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately my usage patterns are rather invariant. Roon is set to auto-start on Mac Pro reboots, and to be full-screen on a secondary “space”. Not all but main interaction with the core is through a remote app on a Windows laptop (indicated in above screenshot). Mac Pro is connected to a TV to serve as its screen. I can verify that interaction through the remote even while the TV is off can trigger this GPU usage.
Unfortunately I cannot answer your question reliably as I’ve now just changed my usege pattern to hiding the Core app on Mac Pro to doc (after exiting the full-screen mode). This is to ensure that Mac OSX doesn’t ever need to render Roon on my Mac Pro in any condition. I’m quite conscious that that kind of load, if not caught, may damage one of my GPUs.

This behaviour does not exist on my remote running on a Windows laptop.

Good luck with the investigation!

Thanks,
Yargi

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.