High Memory Usage by RoonAppliance Causing Slowdown on Windows 11 Desktop (ref#5TWYOC)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

Something else

How can we help?

None of the above

Other options

How do I ...?

RoonAppliance is using 17% of my available memory (16GB) and causing significant slow down on my Windows 11 desktop. Is there a way to minimize its memory usage? Thanks.

Hi @Eitai_Ben-Natan,

Thank you for the post. The team will activate diagnostic mode and investigate this issue - please stand by and we’ll respond here as soon as we have information or further troubleshooting to provide.

Hi @Eitai_Ben-Natan,

We wanted to check in and see if you were still running into performance issues on the latest Roon build?

With that, can you confirm Roon has proper exceptions listed within your Norton Security?

And lastly, can you confirm Roon / Roon Server applications are properly nestled within your applications folder/directory?

Thanks!

Hi Benjamin,

Thanks for getting back to me on this.

I’m afraid the performance issues still persist with the latest Roon build - see attached screenshot.

As for Norton Firewall all Roon properties are allowed - see screenshot.

As for the last bit, can you guide me on how to check that?

Thanks

Eitai

What is your library size

Also in the screen shot what is Chrome doing to hog so much memory 4.6 gb

2.8 gb is not abnormal on .100k tracks

Hi Mike,

According to Roon my library size is:
Tidal Library - 21,118
Music - 20,027

As to you second question, I don’t know when I opened that Chrome sub-task there’s no details as to the process that is running - see screenshot.

That’s 41k tracks so 2 - 3 gb is probably in the right order. AFAIK Roon loads the entire db into memory at start up so as improve speed of operation. It’s certainly a large proportion of if not. Mine is on a NUC /ROCK so I cannot see how big it is

I certainly would be more worried about what Chrome was doing hogging half your RAM. it may have been just at that second for the snapshot BUT …

I am using Chrome for this message and I see 688 out of 16000 which is OK

Hi Mike,

Is there a way to limit the Roon system to only upload favorite tracks and playlists/bookmarks that I intend to play on a given day, instead of uploading all my library?

Also I don’t switch-off the computer at the end of the day, I put it in sleep mode so in theory all the library tracks should’ve been uploaded already and yet the system is quite sluggish.

As for Chrome, as I’m in digital marketing mainly working with the Google Ads system, I’m afraid that there’s no way around for me but to use Chrome for my daily work.

And finally, this sluggishness that I experience started about month and a half ago, before than everything seems to be fine.

Not as far as I know, Roon is not configurable to that extent. Roon’s library is core to everything and is the basis of any search , select operation.

You could kill your Tidal favourites , and cut the load down to just the 20k local tracks.

Another trick is to add ONLY one album per artists from Tidal to your library that will add that artist to the Artists View. Then go via Artists View select an artist then to the artist page and then to Discography to pick any album from Tidal

A second alternative is to invest in a NUC , so that all memory usage is off your working computer. The Windows PC will then be a Remote and will have no library load. Obviously that involves a hardware purchase.

Hi @Eitai_Ben-Natan,

The team is investigating this issue with development. Available diagnostics show Roon Server logging frequent network reachability errors and network connection resets. These events trigger the bug under investigation, the symptoms of which include high memory consumption.

How is this machine connected to the internet? Are there any points (hardware, software) that might be throttling traffic or redirecting the upstream connection?

Hi Connor,

I’m listening to music on my desktop only while working and it’s connected directly to the internet not through wifi.

hardware/software that might affect internet speed that I can think of are:

Router - Linksys Hydra Pro 6 Dual Band Mesh WiFi 6 Router
Anti-virus - Norton 360 Deluxe (I’m not using VPN on my desktop).

Eitai