High resolution audio from Amazon

They have the deep pockets to undercut anybody. I can’t see them opening it up to Roon though as they will want to track it all but who knows. Being a prime subscriber it’s an interesting prospect.

How would they lose - they’ll know all they can about your music tastes whether you use Roon or something else to drive playback, not so?

Perhaps they might but if they wont let Roon do their own thing which a lot of services don’t seem to want then it’s moot. I just signed up to the trial and used their app. It’s pretty slick and clearly marks the quality of the release. Also it will tell you the capability of your device in regards to playback. So mine it says is 48/24 and links to a very informative kB on the whole hd tier and using it. External DACs on Android are currently not supported but will work for pc, Mac and iOS so.

I’d be surprised if they weren’t open to it. They don’t desperately need to control the user experience or (at this juncture) have any “unique” playlisting capabilities like Spotify and they’re not dependent on streaming for survival. Music has been reduced to a data commodity flowing through the internet just like gas and electricity pass through their respective networks.

1 Like

Any idea whether Roon will support this?

2 Likes

I’m sure it would be of interest to Roon but it takes two to tango … so would need cooperation / collaboration from Amazon.

There’s a feature request topic for it now …

1 Like

Brilliant news, just brilliant. Truly hope this crushes Tidal and flushes MQA in the process :grin:

5 Likes

Just installed the desktop app. First thought - Goodbye Tidal. Amazon KILLS Tidal. It seems more stable and the app destroys Tidal’s. Catalog is vast, of course. Many UHD songs up to 192khz and they sound great. 90 day free trial.

Roon - you MUST integrate this SOON! Amazon will be the go-to service almost immediately for HD and UHD streaming - no contest. Price is good also, especially if you pay for a year.

AND you can download the tracks - just did so.

Love, love this, so far!

4 Likes

Can’t wait until Lumin adds Amazon capability to my streamer.

Are you listening, Peter? :grin:

@wklie

1 Like

Amazon High Res is here:

Do you mean download for offline listening, or for storing to your local library?

I cannot imagine the latter, as that would kill their CD business in less than a month.
Dirk

Article on Amazon releasing lossless streaming from today:

Just my two cents: Amazon is evil. Quasi-monopolies are never a good thing. If you support diversity use any other service, even if it is more expensive or has less tracks.
There will be a day when people realize that there is nothing left but amazon and three other companies. Choice is a good thing. And consumers should decide carefully.

5 Likes

Already signed up for the trial. Looks promising.
Roon integration on the horizon?

1 Like

Has anyone downloaded the Windows desktop app? Any way to make it bypass the OS mixer and use exclusive mode wasapi or asio? I can’t see a way.

Also note that chromecast isn’t supported. Using android device, chromecast playback is 44.1. Have not tried Chromecast Audio. Think Amazon says cast is not supported for hd at this time.

Here’s my two cents -

Look for Amazon to buy or at least attempt to buy Roon.

I completely agree with you. That said I cannot stand Tidal, I encounter constant bugs with the Android App. I open a ticket and provide them with evidence showing even the most basic functions like Random not working and it takes them months to resolve.

Agreed. I don’t think Tidal is any better, or a saint. Their privacy policy is actually pretty bad. In that regard Amazon may even be better. And from a User perspective the product looks pretty good.

Agreed, but if consumers cared about music they should never have allowed streaming to become a thing. As a collective we’ve made it very hard for musicians to earn a viable living (yes, there are exceptions).

3 Likes