High resolution audio from Amazon

Do we know for sure that there are no APIs for third-party integration? It’s very probably just wishful thinking on my part but it’s possible that those APIs are by request only with details only released under NDA.

Apart from that a pretty good summary. Thanks. The only thing that I’d add to the “not to like” section is that Amazon has no associated HD download store yet whereas both Tidal and Qobuz do. If that happens I would hope that it would also have a wider for-purchase catalogue than the competition.

I also wish Amazon would create a CD quality (16/44.1) download store. I buy lots of CDs, but only to rip them then store them away. I’d be happy to purchase the downloads only. (I already have ~6,000 CDs stored away). And yes, I’d just as soon have 16/44.1…don’t need or want hi-res.

1 Like

I got rid of all my vinyl and CD’s long ago. Never own something you can rent.

1 Like

I have plenty of things that I listen to that aren’t available on any streaming service. So there’s that. And I also have a weekend cottage with no internet availability, so no streaming there. But I still have a server there with copies of all 8,084 albums I own (just looked at my home server to check this :wink:). I do acknowledge that I could likely get 90% of my collection via streaming only.

p.s. But then again I guess I own my homes too even though I suppose I could rent. But in my area, nothing I could rent would be equivalent to what I can own.

There is no api for the normal service either, this is why its pretty limited on other devices, seems they only care about the bigger hardware people and not software. If they did then bubble , uapp etc might offer it but they have said ther is no api to do so. If there was they would have had an API when they launched Amazon Music .

Yeah. The fact they never published any APIs for the regular service doesn’t bode well. One can still hope though. If something happens it happens, if it doesn’t it doesn’t.

Being a pedantic computer scientist I can’t help pointing out that there is an API of course, it’s just apparently Amazon-internal. If there wasn’t an API internal to Amazon then Amazon’s own Music app wouldn’t be able to interface with the servers to run searches, initiate streams etc. Also, Alexa needs to be able to interface with Amazon’s music/streaming servers and the app and Alexa music back end are almost certainly done by two different dev teams so somewhere in Amazon the API must be stable, documented and change-managed.

Oh yes there is one somewhere as Bluesound, Sonos and Denon have Amazon, they just seem to choose to only release it to companies that can either have a certain portfolio or willing to pay for it.

And, Bose Soundtouch has Amazon Music HD.

Before subscribing to Roon and purchasing a Nucleus, I set up a Yamaha MusicCast system in my house for multi-zone audio. It looks like Yamaha will also be integrating Amazon Music into their source options (other than via AirPlay or Bluetooth) so perhaps there may still be hope for Roon integration? It at least shows that Amazon is willing to work with third-parties…

Yes, it works with DTS Play-fi also. I’ll buy a nucleus as soon as it’s supported.

I would like an Amazon UHD integration into Roon because I like more choices or options.

Why will it be the best HD option available? It’s own app is rubbish. You have to go into Windows Audio to set the sample rate to actually get HD. It can’t take exclusive control of Windows audio so Windows will mess with the audio. There’s no option to download for offline listening. You can’t download sleevenotes. Qobuz is significantly better in all these respects.

I’d give Amazon some time. They probably need user feedback to make the app work well. They can sneeze it out once they get the product definition right

They need user feedback to find out they aren’t actually delivering HD on Windows? They’ve no one smart enough to realise that? They don’t do any testing?

Jez, all valid points - but Amazon’s Unlimited Music app was also horrible initially and improved over time. We’re all spoiled by Roon - while there are some gripes about the interface, metadata, etc. it works and works well and continually improves. I think Amazon’s interface for HD will as well, since it’s being built into the current app.
I don’t really have any intention of using Amazon’s app other than on my phone or iPad when mobile, but having access to the library will be a big step forward.
I think the monthly/annual price is quite reasonable, especially for those of us on Prime and already subscribed to Music Unlimited. If included in Roon it would be a big step forward and increase its value tremendously to those of us who enjoy HD music. I use Quboz, Amazon and Apple Music like I used to use the radio - to learn of new music and “try before I buy”. I’m old enough that if I really enjoy a particular album, I’ll buy it even though I can stream it at will. The artists deserve our patronage, and streaming services pay very little.
Anyway, I have faith in Amazon. Maybe it’s because I live in the Seattle area - but honestly, both Tidal and Quboz have been pretty underwhelming and expensive for what you get IMHO.

2 Likes

Of course it is not illegal for shareholders to “know.” Executives are often major shareholders of their own companies, and they obviously know “what is going on behind the scenes.” It’s only illegal when one makes stock market trades to one’s own advantage through having access to that confidential information. There is nothing illegal at all about having the information.

2 Likes

Well, I’d put it as more likely that Amazon isn’t sure how many Windows users would know the difference, and it will take them time to figure out that some significant portion of their market knows they’re not getting actual hi res. That is, if that is true, and that is a big “IF” - most windows users probably have no idea that the system mixer mostly undoes any incremental quality they hoped to get from the added information in the stream.

2 Likes

Here’s some math. If Amazon converted half their paid music subscribers to hd it would add nearly $1 billion in incremental annual revenue. Who knows about the incremental cost, but either way that’s real money.

If they converted all roon users (not likely) it would be about $6 million. It’s something, but figure in the cost of supporting roon’s unique requirements and it’s a PITA rounding error.

Pretty sure it went to the Grahams as part of the WaPo deal.

I don’t think anybody is saying Amazon should team up with Roon for the Roon customer base. If they team up with Roon, it would be to have the Roon capability for all the Amazon customers, current and/or new.

1 Like