High resolution audio from Amazon

Playing Amazon 24/192 on my Dell laptop through Dragonfly Cobalt to headphones gets downsampled by Dragonfly to 24/96. Plays smooth as glass.

The only way I can actually get 24/192 to listen to is Roon RAAT to Oppo 203 to analog out to headphones.

EDIT: No, never mind. The 24/192 will not play on Amazon through the Dragonfly Cobalt. At lease not now. I’ll try again tomorrow. I was actually playing it from Qobuz.

Exactly - so iOS Amazon Music HD app is performing for you, just like it is for everyone else…

That wasn’t the impression you gave in earlier comments like:

Whether you care about bit perfect playback from the iOS Amazon Music HD app is a personal thing. Nothing bad about any of this.

But your earlier comments like above gave the impression you had a very special limited edition DragonFly and special edition Amazon Music HD iOS app…

But you are actually seeing things just like everyone, when you look at the DragonFly’s sample rate LED indicator…

No, the DragonFly doesn’t support incoming sample rates above 96Khz as per screenshots I shared earlier of the Audioquest product specs page… So it’s the source OS doing the downsampling…

So no :slight_smile:

1 Like

It does not change rates at all on any platform with any dac. You get system audios set or max rate or max rate of supported dac. All music is either up or downscaled as a result unless it’s the same rate as the DAC or system audio.

Well sure and I’m as guilty as anyone in enjoying and taking advantage of the convenience and incredible access to music that the digital era provides.

I realise (or at least hope!) you have your tongue firmly planted in your cheek but as someone to whom music is an important thing in my life I do try my best to support, in however small and no doubt insignificant way, the artists whose music I enjoy. I buy all the music I like - I try hard to buy direct from the artist, often via Bandcamp these days or if that isn’t possible than at least from independent record stores.

On the other hand I don’t get to gigs for a variety of reasons and I’m not someone who buys t-shirts or other band merchandise so my support of any one artist is pretty small.

I’ve actually been toying for some time with just ditching my streaming subscription. What it provides me with is mobility (a significant amount of my listening to is whilst travelling), convenience and of course the integration with Roon. However small the fees are to artists at least it is on top of the money I have spent on the record/download. I’m not sure though - even initial discover is generally available via preview tracks on Bandamp or Soundcloud.

2 Likes

So?

The point is the OP objects for unspecified reasons to contributing to Jay-Z’s wealth but is happy to contribute to Jeff Bezos’s wealth.

It’s not the product, it’s the person.

What’s the difference between these two people?

just wondering why you ask me? It is not my business that the OP does not like Jay-Z, we all like or dislike something or someone, and this is natural.

However, unfair or untrue comments about someone is a totally different matter. I think you may have a forest and tree issue here.

Because you were extolling what a great business man Bezos is; which isn’t relevant to the point that someone has claimed they don’t like Tidal “Because Jay-Z”.

But yeah fair enough you didn’t make the original post, not having a go at you - if you think Bezos is to be admired of course you have the right to that opinion and I assume you also admire Jay-Z who built a business empire from nothing.

Don’t understand the forest/tress point tbh. If you mean I’ve strayed off-topic again fair enough but I think it is legitimate to ask the question why posters are pro Amazon and anti Tidal not on the basis of the product but of their founders/owners. And no it’s not natural just to dislike someone for unspecified reasons. Maybe they object to Jay-Z’s recent deal with the NFL or the ownership structure of Tidal or some other legitimate reason? I’d like to know.

DId I say that? Please quote.
By the way, you totally misunderstand my point, but let’s get out of the comments about this person or that person.

“Remember Amazon started as an one man & a dog company, the man himself did the deliveries himself on a truck.”

Again - I don’t have any objection to you pointing out he is successful. Clearly he is. I just don’t understand why Jay-Z is to be ‘not liked’.

edit - and yes maybe it was a throw away comment that really meant nothing but I still think it is fair to ask the question.

If this is what you understand as “extolling” then I will not say anything further! Let’s call it a day.

1 Like

Sure, I have no issue. I shouldn’t have replied - I think I misread your intentions. Apologies if that was the case.

Why don’t we discuss the virtues of Amazon HD music and pros/cons?

2 Likes

I had taken a hiatus from streaming for a while because I couldn’t justify $20/mo for Tidal to foist MQA on me and the Qobuz catalog was limited.

At $13/mo thought I’d give Amazon a try. Great catalog, but not marketed for “audiophiles” and not integrated with roon and not likely to ever be.

Liked it enough, though, to reconsider the value of streaming. So I reactivated Qobuz. And it’s “only $7 more” a month. Thanks Amazon!

1 Like

I have Apple Music (free from Verizon), Amazon Music HD, Tidal, Qobuzz, and Roon. How in the world do I ever decide what to keep and what to ditch? I like them all for various reasons.

One of these things is not like the others.

1 Like

I’m willing to pay the price for Qobuz, my issue is the size of their catalog lags behind Tidal and Amazon. So it’s harder to pay more for a service that offers less at twice the price. For me its $25 vs $12.

But right now Qobuz is integrated with roon and their mobile software works. So I’m sticking with Qobuz. If things change for the better with Amazon I’d happily switch.

1 Like

If I wanted the lowest cost alternative, I would keep Apple Music (free), and Amazon Music HD for $14.99. I can stream Apple Music using my Apple TV 4K and Amazon using Bose Soundtouch app.

However, if I keep Roon and RAAT to my Oppo 203, then I might keep Tidal for $19.99 and Qobuz for $24.99.

Decisions…

Or just keep it all for $69.89

1 Like

If I had to decide today, I would pay $119 for Roon and keep Tidal and Qobuz and dump Amazon.

1 Like

There is a lot to like about the Amazon service

• Great large catalogue
  • Likely to have less if any downtime (dont remember Amazon video services never being available) Very good price.
  • You can add your own music in the application.
  • Likely to not go bust
  • May even keep the rights to material longer than either Tidal or Qobuz.
  • Really good pre-caching on mobile so no dropouts when signal lost for a bit

There is also a lot not to like

• No api as of yet for others to integrate it
  • No Roon support
  • No decent multiroom unless you use Alexa crap
  • Not bit perfect playback so hard to judge the quality of playback
  • Limited devices it runs on
  • Cant use own music across the apps on different devices
  • Cant control playback for mobile or pc from one app.
  • App cant search via genre
3 Likes