High resolution audio from Amazon

Only if you have a device with it integrated already that’s not Android or Apple based. If using on pc or phone it’s not worth it as you can’t get bit perfect audio all the time.

1 Like

You asked if anything positive other than cheaper than tidal. I may keep it for the Pandora like channel feature. I said it sounded quite good. 48K is a technical issue that I’m not judging sound quality by. Yes, poor metadata. For browsing and metadata, I would continue to use Roon and Qobuz via Roon. If an when Amazon HD is integrated with Roon, I would definitely keep it. I may keep it now. If their $10 service is mp3/aac, another $3 is worth full CD res and some higher.

1 Like

Another “player” in the HD streaming space is a good idea in principle. Welcome Amazon Music HD, competition is good. But, my main reservation is the size of Amazon and their need to dominate. If they will compete on price, I would say “Buyer be aware…”. Once they have the dominating position they have got us “by the short and curlies” (if you know what I mean) :slight_smile:

Happy listening all.

1 Like

Ok, I owe an update. Amazon Music finally updated there software to allow full HD music content to stream to third party devices. I can now stream 24/192 directly to my Anthem processor via the Play-Fi app on my iPad.
I can now check the resolution on the processor and indeed high resolution files are being streamed.
I still don’t know if I can hear the difference relative to 16/44, but don’t care.
I’m getting what I paid for. I’ll still buy a nucleus when it is compatible for a better UI, but pretty happy camper now.

1 Like

They still have not fixed the iOS software to output correctly thru the camera adapter. They have released several updates to the software but none have fixed this issue.

I have not checked to see if their desktop software added exclusive mode to allow sample rate to automatically change.

Until these changes happen, I won’t even test their software.

2 Likes

I’m not seeing any updates for IOS or Windows 10. Where are they?

I just saw another iOS update a day or two ago. I’m going to cancel when trial runs even if they fix the issue by then. I would them to add iPad remote access to pc for me to even consider keeping. Most likely only use Amazon if they eventually get integrated into roon.

1 Like

Looks like Qobuz is feeling the heat from Amazon! Studio tier now only 15 bucks in the US!

1 Like

Now no real reason to leave Qobuz. Their library is still much smaller but it’s growing. I just had issue paying much more than Amazon and getting less. Qobuz at least is completely focused on high quality music. Amazon hasn’t even made it possible to play their hires music correctly.

Qobuz’s library is weak. That is their problem but there is so much missing that i can’t subscribe. And i would subscribe to them over Amazon.

Have you tried the latest update with your Hugo2? Does it now do auto sample rate switching?

It still doesn’t work. After new update I always give it a try. If light stays blue, I stop it and wait for new update.

1 Like

What type of music do you like? I subscribe to Qobuz BECAUSE of its library - they have a very strong classical and jazz collection.

1 Like

I like jazz and classical to but also listen to indie artists where Qobuz has a limited selection .

I’ve been using Amazon Music HD for about a week, feeding it into my Pro-Ject Pre Box 3 Digital headphone amp/DAC that I originally purchased for use with TIDAL. Been getting pretty fine sounding results from the UltraHD tracks. If you put your cursor on the bright yellow box that says UltraHD at the end of the name of the song towards the bottom of the app window, it will show you the track quality available, the capability of your device, and what it’s currently playing at. The highest rating of a track I’ve found so far is 24/96 and all songs played sounded pretty damn good. They have an UltraHD copy of “Street Fighting Man” that actually blew me away it sounded that good… amazing for a song produced in 1969! Did a blind A and B with the TIDAL MQA copy and both sounded fantastic, possible edge to TIDAL, but pretty close. The HD tracks are all 16/44.1 and pretty indistinguishable from CD’s.

One thing I’ve discovered with Windows 10 is that you have to set the device output preference for the Amazon Music app to the device you are using rather than using the default setting just to make sure you’re using what you think you are. It took me a while to discover that but once I did everything was great. It’s in Sound, App and Volume preferences in Setup.

I do wish I could feed this to Roon, but I haven’t figured that out yet, nor have I figured out how to get it to search my hard drives for music I’ve ripped. It will find everything on my C or D drives, but not my hard drives. If I figure it out I’ll post it.

While you can stream and download copies of UltraHD and HD music from Amazon, you can’t purchase copies of that quality… all you purchase is MP3 copies (probably 256MB or 320MB). If you download them and then cancel your subscription, you won’t be able to play them after it runs out.

They may sell different quality files in the future, but i doubt it because they prefer you to “lease” it due to the recurring revenue. Smart business plan actually. Don’t know if the downloaded files can be copied to other devices, may have to try it. You would of course have to have the app on the device to which you copy them of course.

Thanks. I will never buy music when I can stream it. I have settled on Tidal and Qobuz. No longer interested in Amazon HD unless/until they integrate with Roon. I don’t plan to buy any more music equipment. Roon is how I get my music from Tidal and Qobuz to my Oppo 203.

Yeah, pretty much the same here, at least with CD’s. Still buy vinyl depending on the artist. Got a fairly nice table and tube preamp and amps and there is a certain sound you get with vinyl that can’t be easily recreated, even with SACD, hi-rez, and the new upscale streamers… but they are rapidly getting closer! Might just be my old ears catching up to me.

I play any downloaded hi-rez through my BDP-103 (kick myself for not getting a 203 when they still made 'em, now they’re WAY too expensive), but I run all my streaming through my HP SSD desktop into a Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital that I bought specifically for unfolding MQA files and it works great for the Amazon UltraHD files too… listening to “Blood on the Tracks” in UHD right now and it sounds stunning, surprising so actually. Run it all through an Onkyo TX-SR805 and a pair of Belle Klipschs and heritage Klipsch center and surrounds. One advantage of being retired, divorced, and having a big lot, I can play it as loud as I want and my neighbors don’t complain!

Never tried Qobuz, may have to check it out. I’ve been impressed by Roon’s ability to combine my ripped to FLAC stuff with my TIDAL playlists, but it looks like Amazon may allow that too (not the TIDAL but the ripped stuff). I’m just having fun trying at all out!

Have a great one James!

You should do the free trial of Qobuz. They reduced the price to $14.99 per month or $149.99 per year. I converted my account to annual. I also have Tidal. I plan to keep both. I was a teenager in the '60’s (played drums in a rock band) and had vinyl (records) out the a**. I got rid of them years ago and have no interest anymore. I had all the original Beatles and Dave Clark 5 albums that would be worth a lot of money if I still had them. My sister had a boatload of 45’s. My dad had a bunch of 78’s. All gone years ago.

1 Like

You just taught me something! I run Amazon HD on an Android tablet, but never thought to touch the UltraHD logo. That info is there for Android as well.

Very early in this thread, I related that I had gotten an Echo Link and that it was sounding quite good sent to my DAC by toslink. But the DAC displays 48K for every track. Now, in the app, I see that the Echo Link’s capability is only up to 24/48 - aha!. Can’t complain though. Still better than CD and it sounds great.