Hiss from some wave files

In my collections, there are some albums cannot play by Roon, there are just hiss from playback.
However my Marantz can play it directly. or on desktop some other softwares (for example Netease Cloud Music, VLC) can play but some others cannot play (like Foobar, Groove, Roon).

Why Roon doesn’t support, is it because of missing decoder?
I can share a link to download one of the songs so you can investigate if necessary.

Thanks.

Hello @Paul_L,

Please share the download link to one of the songs so I can take a look. What is your Core specs and what device are you trying to play back the track on? Does playing it via “System Output” also fail? What is the format of the track that is unable to play? Please let me know.

Thanks,
Noris

@noris
here is the link, see if you can download. Tried with Roon and VLC on same computer.
my computer is Core i7, my dac is connected to computer via USB. I play with system output, it also fail.
When play with VLC, I can hear the song from same dac, but when play with Roon, only hiss.
Thanks.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sy6kF-4kX4VwHCS6t2bcoY5ETSJFGuuH/view?usp=sharing

What is “Jacky_Chan”? What is the source of this WAV file?

AJ

Hello @Paul_L,

The format of that file is super strange, I am not even able to play it in Chrome naively. I opened it up in VLC codec information and found that it is a DTS audio file and Roon does not support DTS files decoding which is why you are not able to play it inside of Roon (or various other applications such as Google Chrome).:

Thanks,
Noris

@noris , thanks for the update. That explains why my Marantz receiver can play those files since they support DTS. I do have a collection of DTS songs. is there any chance Roon will support DTS later?

Hello @Paul_L,

I have brought up this request with the team but I can’t comment on if we will have DTS in the future. I would recommend also posting your suggestion in the 'feature request" section of the site.

Our product team and developers keep a close eye on that category, so that’s definitely the best place to propose a change like this and get feedback from the Community.

Thanks,
Noris