Hissing Noise from USB ouput of Intel NUC

Sry, I have no specific knowledge of this Cambridge model. But the experts will happily chip in here.

No worries. I have removed USB connection between NUC and CXN V2 , the high pitched noise is no longer audible. Just little hiss , hope the new PSU of NUC will reduce hiss a bit more. That will be in another two months time.

You could create some distance between Accuphase and NUC (could even ban that thing into the basement if there is network). Also make sure they don’t share the same power strip. The ethernet cables used should be unshielded. Easy to identify by the jacks having NO tin shielding on the outside. Pure plastic only.

1 Like

@Bernd_Kurte since you raised on Cat 6 ethernet cable, few of my ethernet cable connecting to CXN V2, Nvidia shield TV etc are of flat CAT 6 cables , should i avoid flat ethernet cable?

In simple terms: Don’t use shielded cables at home. You don’t need the shielding und it can create ground loops and transport humming.

2 Likes

Yes, all my RJ45 male connectors are of non-metallic. Just that I read flat ethernet cable has high noise and cross talk than round ethernet cable. If that’s true, i need to replace my 1-m flat ethernet cable.

The ‘flat’ aren twisted which is an important design feature of proper ethernet cables. So yes, ditch the flat ones if you can.

Please to update that MeanWell PSU for Intel NUC hooked up next to my router away from Audio system and without USB cable connecting to CXN V2 and D90 DAC, there is no more high-pitch sound, the main culprit is USB connectivity, then PSU.

There is still very minute noise which is hardly audible if not stand near to speaker tweeter. I will change all my ethernet cable from flat to round type unshielded twisted pair type CAT 6 cable, hope that’s the end of “hiss sound”.

Thanks again to all contributors and advisors that providing brain storming, clues and hints to troubleshoot the root cause.

3 Likes

I have the Cxn V2 as well. Maximum input is 192khz. That gets upsampled to 384khz by the internal DAC that can’t be bypassed expect you use a optical cable to a external DAC. But in that case the Cxn V2 is just a expensive and limited transport.

The internal DAC upsamples everything to 384khz. DSD is limited to DSD64 and the internal DAC still does a pcm 384khz conversation.

I have no idea why you would use the Cxn V2 as transport for the Topping D90. Just replace it with a raspberry pi

@MarcMarc Just because of the LCD display screen and many music sources eg. Spotify Connect, Internet radio associates with which Roon not supported. I didnt know the upsampling is automatically and not able to changed.

Last week, i just ordered a Raspberry Pi 4 starter kit and 7" touch screen display with back case , plan to install Ropieee XL when it arrives.

1 Like

I have the same issue , use the NUC8i5BEH as roon client connected to chord quest.I made a lot off research and tested different PS , but still the same
NUC is a piece of noisy garbage which is good to use for the desktop not a media player , I fell into the trap of fan-less NUC , I’m thinking to replace it with RoPieee but not sure if it support Qutest or get a second hand bluesound 2i(what I had to do from the begging)

If you are using USB, one of these can do wonders.

I have a brand new NUC12WSHi7, no noise whatsoever in my two systems:

NUC → Benchmark DAC3L → Benchmark AHB2 → Sonus Faber Sarifino Tradition
NUC → Topping D90MQA → Rogers KWM-88 (tube amp) → Devore O/96

Perhaps newer NUCs have cleaner power supplies? Perhaps my two homes have more modern wiring? Perhaps I lucked out and received a good unit?

Happy that OP seems to be getting things sorted.

-K

1 Like

Nice setup. @Kelly_Burkhart
I believe the latest NUC having a cleaner electrical system.

For noise mitigation issue, I have to bypass using the USB output from NUC, thus I am using network streamer CXN V2 as Roon Endpoint as below: -

a) NUC (Meshpoint 1) - CXN V2 (ethernet from Meshpoint 2) - Accuphase E280 - ATC SCM 11

b) NUC (Meshpoint 1) - CXN V2 (ethernet from Meshpoint 2) - Denafrip Ares II - Accuphase E280 - ATC SCM 11

Waiting to construct RPi4 with Ropieee … anyone recommend to use USB output from RPi4? or separate RPi4 DAC card (Digital HAT?) ?

1 Like

I have a similar device (not RPi). I run bridge on it and connect via USB. After getting things sorted (no easy RoPiee!), it sounds indistinguishable to my NUK/ROCK.

Discussion here: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/rpi-raspberry-pi-alternatives-tested/226216

2 Likes

Cool, thanks for the link, I intend to setup RPi4 with Ropieee and 7" inch touch screen display, as Drako shown in the step-by-step setup in his YouTube. I am noob in RPi4, need to learn more from this forum which is very helpful. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s what I was hoping to do, however RPi4 is very difficult to acquire right now.

If you run into problems ask. The hardest part is figuring out how to seat the ribbon cable for the screen.

1 Like

Thanks sir. I hope the next version of RPi, the microSD slot is not between this ribbon for easy removal :stuck_out_tongue: and need not to remove the back cover, a recessed slot with double push to eject/insert.

I wouldn’t hold your breath for the next version of raspberry pi. The way I get around the sd card thing is with a microSD extension cable.