System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display
Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 21H1
Installed on ‎9/‎15/‎2020
OS build 19043.1348
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0

Networking Gear & Setup Details

All ethernet connections for this thread / issue. Asus RT-AC88U router, gigabit ethernet cabling and routing. Both Core and the client at issue are wired direct to router.

Connected Audio Devices

Windows 11 PC with 32GB ram, core i7, GeForce GTX 1080 6GB video card
USB Schiit Modi DAC connected to the machine at issue.

Number of Tracks in Library

31,804 tracks in library

Description of Issue

A new problem has occurred only on this machine / client / zone (primary office machine where Roon gets heavy use). The home screen freezes and cannot be recovered. Play works fine from other screens. Have tried updating video driver, changing GPU settings, uninstalling / re-installing, but same behavior now persists. This machine worked flawlessly until last week, could be related to Windows 11 upgrade for this client, although I tried rolling back to WIndows 10 and had the same issue. Rest of Roon system is working fine (several Roon endpoints running into this Roon Core).

Further to this, I would add the following behavior notes:

• All other tabs in Roon for this remote session work fine (Genres, Qobuz, Tidal, etc)
  • If I enter full screen mode before opening home, the session does not freeze
  • Only freezes when activating the Home screen outside of full screen mode

Hey @Bradley_Reid

I see your issue has gone unanswered – I’m afraid that it has slipped through the cracks. Let’s flag Roon’s @support team here, so they can follow up when this request reaches their queue.

In the interest of keeping everyone on the same page, I have closed your other threads.

1 Like

Hey @RBM, thanks so much for bringing this thread on our radar. You were right — we didn’t get a chance to see this.

@Bradley_Reid, we’re extremely sorry about the trouble. The next time it happens, would you please write down the local date and time (the timestamp) and grab a set of logs and upload them in our drive.

Would you please let us know the timestamp and once the upload is in our drive so we can take a look? Unfortunately, we’re not automatically notified.

You appear to be asking for logs from the Roon Core - is that correct? It is a windows Roon Remote session that freezes when the Home screen is activated in windowed (other than full screen) mode. The session freezes, occupies CPU, but does not close / crash. It cannot be accessed unless the process is killed and the Roon Remote session is re-started.

This behavior is 100% replicable - see screen shots of Home screen and Task Manager:

Hey @Bradley_Reid,

Yes, the Roon logs. Thanks for the additional information.

I’m looping in our technical team so they can take a closer look. If you can upload that in our drive, that would be awesome, alongside the timestamp.

Thanks a million!

Logs uploaded Reid_Log_Snap 5:18 pm 12/1/2021

Thank so much, @Bradley_Reid.

We got the logs and they are now with our technical team. We’ll do our best to get back to you as soon as possible :nerd_face:

Please, stay tuned.

Additional observation today: ran the troubleshooter in Windows to test the Roon application for compatibility with Windows 11. Windows recommended I run Roon in Windows 8 mode and this does appear to prevent the application freezing when entering the Home screen.

1 Like

Hi @Bradley_Reid ,

Thanks for letting us know that you’ve been able to stabilize Roon with those settings. In the logs, there wasn’t much useful information, perhaps this is related to the way the app is starting in this specific environment. If it still gives you issues later down the road, a full reinstall of Roon on that remote is suggested:

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location on the affected Windows Remote
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder

Hope this helps!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.