Hope this lull in releases is leading to a huge improvement in fixing stuff

I’ve not seen any releases dropping for a while…lets hope the team is squashing bugs and improving reliability, rather than adding features…other than Tidal’s new lossless formats I can’t say I can think of any urgent features needed.

3 Likes

A bit surprising that they actually wanted to release a stable version a while back, but then had to pull back after discovering a few issues. The fact it takes so long to come up with a fix after initially thinking it was ready to be shipped, is somewhat concerning. Maybe I’m reading too much into this.

3 Likes

I’m hoping there’s more branding work going on. After the success of Valence and MUSE, it would make sense to name other parts which are awkward to refer to at the moment.

For instance, the difference between Roon Radio and Internet Radio causes some cognitive dissonance. As Roon Radio depends on Valence, perhaps a name that suggests a connection? How about ‘Affinity’?

And Roon’s database backup system could use its own term. I was thinking something which suggests massive unchanging stable storage. ‘Gibraltar’? Apparently overrun with monkeys; perhaps not a good association. ‘Abyssal’? Too deep. ‘Manhattan’ famously rests on a pillar of granite, but perhaps that’s too obscure, or too Woody Allen. How about ‘Craton’, which Wikipedia describes as " an old and stable part of the continental lithosphere" which has “often survived cycles of merging and rifting” (of continents!).

3 Likes

I still have issues with streaming Qobuz when the internet connection is slow. The recovery is better but more buffering would definitely help.

Arc? At the moment you can’t play tracks (from the track screen), there’s no focus, no bookmarks etc.

2 Likes

Coming. Big. Yes.

1 Like

Playing from an album’s track window works fine here. Or do you mean something different?

I mean:

I go to the tracks screen, get a list of all the tracks in the tags I want to play.

When I tap on a track to start playing them:

It just queues a single track. I don’t know of any music player, aside from Arc, that works this way. I.e. you can’t play tracks

3 Likes

Considering how fubar ARC is currently and the last release completely botched they need to hold back and get their house in order. I always said the new release schedule they introduced would cause issues they don’t have the resources to keep pushing out stuff and maintain QC and this is evident in how buggy it’s becoming.

3 Likes

Arc is an absolute mess right now. I really hope they don’t come out with a major redesign or new features. They need to make it work like any other music player. If Plexamp is stable Roon Arc should be. Plex Lifetime costs as much as one year of Roon. I’m beginning to regret my Lifetime purchase so I’m really hoping they get things in order soon. :frowning:

1 Like

Yes, I would like to see bug fixes and stability.

The Roon iOS and iPadOS app constantly freeze after a period of background sleep and I have to kill the app and re-open. They have been like this for several builds.

The CarPlay app sometimes works and sometimes doesn’t and has been like this for a loooong time. If I initiate music playback from the ARC app it’s generally good.

I’ve noticed that if I have been using ARC on CarPlay and then go into my home and start playback on Roon then the next time I get in the car its screwed up and whatever I was playing last on ARC doesn’t continue and nothing at all is queued.

1 Like

I think the period of not seeing the wood for the trees is over. :wink::wink:

Having seen a new member of Roon Support posting a good number of times shows to me things have gotten to a point where they acknowledge an improvement is needed. I believe this is being worked upon. :wink::wink:

I feel a change is coming but don’t know what :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth::shushing_face::wink::wink:

I have faith as a lifetime subscriber. :crossed_fingers:

Let’s face it, Roon (to me) is miles ahead of the competition and I use PlexAmp (only recently). Other options are nowhere near what Roon offers.

4 Likes

I’m glad they are improving support. I’m an IT guy and can troubleshoot my own issues but I’ve noticed in the 2 years I’ve been a Roon user and active on the forums that the Roon demographic skews older and less tech savvy than most selfhosted applications that would normally run on a home server. People like that really need the support and relying on the goodwill of the community for most of that isn’t right for such an expensive product with an older userbase.

5 Likes

And it seems we are played as a result as not many choices to go. Having not much competition isn’t good and isn’t a license to have poor QC and service. I’m getting to the end of my tether with things as it stands like so many others that have been vocal of late.

It’s that so many small bits don’t work as they should. In isolation there are not huge but it’s all adds up to a less than stellar experience.

Remotes should be one of the most stable parts as it’s the bit you interact with the most, yet it’s consistently not. I moved from Android to iOS hoping of a better experience, didn’t get it, if anything it seems worse. As @oneofmany stated above they are awful on iOS currently, freeze, constant loss of connection when it’s idle or in background, comes back with black screen on mine so many times, then we have bad scrolling, still no way to add comments when using sharing, inverted volume control just started to happen on iOS17, list goes on.

Then the other stuff that’s been flagged countless times such as the audio analysis sticking on last track, lost count of how many times it’s done this in last week alone. Been adding a lot to my library of late so has become very noticeable.

Yes seen some new support bods pop up, which is good let’s hope they can start responding to tickets in less than 2 weeks or a week and it stays like this.

6 Likes

Totally 100% agree :+1:

I moved from iOS to Android for Roon Remote duties due to the volume suddenly going 100%. Yes there’s a workaround and volume limiting but that’s not a fix.

iOS ap freezing, yep, I faced that as well.

Arc, enough said here :grin: PlexAmp all the way until stable.

Sonos devices grouped in Roon cannot be ungrouped in Roon :man_shrugging:

Background Analysis going tits up frequently :angry:

More annoyance, Rocks method of storing Ripped CDs :roll_eyes: (would prefer to use Rock over Windows Roon Server but use dbPoweramp for ripping CDs)

Nothing else I can think of at the moment. For my main listening environment it’s Roon to my R7 and headphones.

I think someone in Roon is working hard to improve things on the support front (nudge nudge wink wink) :wink:

As for fixes, we can hope they address these with a good solid update.

1 Like

Probably even having 2 separate apps (ARC/REMOTE) doesn’t help because it could take more resources away than just having one. I understand the initial reasons that led to development of a separate app (ARC), but now it’s time to simplify by combining them

1 Like

OK, so we did get some new branding – Roon Server replacing Roon Core.

But really – with all due respect, isn’t that a somewhat obvious and nerdy take? And consider: As we eliminate terms like “master” and “slave”, why should terms like “server” still be used?

I like the inclusion of Roon in the name, but why not something that conveys the majesty and centrality of the server? After all, Roon Core was a call-out to the core of the earth, the core of the apple, etc. etc. Why couldn’t the new name be, say, “Heart of Roon”? Or perhaps a slightly more exotic and diverse variation: Roon Corazón, or perhaps Roon Cœur. Or even simply Corazón, to match Valence?

1 Like

FWIW I keep seeing this described as an iOS issue, but I have been experiencing the same on Android for the last few EA builds.

2 Likes

Unfortunate as mentioned here and on other bug reports iOS app has become a real pain. The bad scrolling is there for years and the loss of connection etc over the last several build makes using this as a remote a real challenge.

Very much hope they get their app framework advancing to a suitable level.

Got this after app was just in background for a little bit and used some other apps.

Ui stopped updating although it seems connected nothing would control anything lost all artwork and just got jelly fish when navigating to home page. Had to kill the app then it returned to normal. It does this kinds of thing too often.

1 Like