Horizontal scrolling, is jerky not fluid in Windows, on iPad artwork is not cached & comment Volume bar

A few comments I have for your attention:

• I’m having issues with scrolling in Windows it’s very jerky and laggy, otherwise the systems doesn’t suffer from any performance issues. Scrolling per row instead of per page could make a difference.

• On my iPad scrolling is better but it takes a long time to load all the artwork even though I have good home LAN G/B/N Wifi at close proximity. Maybe some thumbnail cashing would be an option to improve on this.

• The volume slide bar is to small and laggy (on the iPad) therefore it’s hard to select the desired volume. I would prefer, as it’s a pop-up, to use more screen real estate for the slider.

Can you tell us about your Windows machine?

[quote=“s_de_klerk, post:1, topic:7987”]
On my iPad scrolling is better but it takes a long time to load all the artwork even though I have good home LAN G/B/N Wifi at close proximity. Maybe some thumbnail cashing would be an option to improve on this.
[/quote]There is a latency issue loading covers over WiFi, but we do indeed cache thumbnails. You can control how much we cache in the settings. Settings -> Setup -> Memory for photos/artwork

@s_de_klerk: what iPad are you using? @Brian2: What do you think here? need to make this thing bigger?

Hi Danny, thanks.

The windows machine is running an up to date Windows 7 Ultimate on a recent Mac Mini, it’s dedicated to being an entertainment system, so not doing anything else when playing music.

I increased the Memory setting already, like you suggest to 128Mb, but the issue persists.

The Ipad is the latest Mini 4.

Would you mind give us more info about your setup:

• Tell us more about your network (use this FAQ as a guide )
  • System specs of your Mac mini ?
  • How big is your music collection (quantity in tracks) ?
  • Do you use up-to-date graphics drivers?

Hi Danny,

What’s the relevance for me to discribe my network (its a Gigabyte switched LAN…), to you, if scrolling on a machine is slow and images are cashed?

The Mac Mini is: I5 2,5Ghz 4 core processor, 64Bit, 4Gb Ram.
library is currently containing about 50 albums with about 2200 tracks in total
Graphic drivers are the latest Intel Graphics 4000 drivers.

I hope you’re not going to ask me what time the train leaves from Eindhoven to Amsterdam next… ? :wink:

I’ve gained some insight. It appears the collections panes don’t actually use a scrolling action, but a page turning action. So dragging has to be done past some critical point before the page is turned. This is very counter intuitive and unpracticle, especially on a touchpad.

Can you move this post back to the feature request thread?

We ask about your network because if you have a 10mbps ethernet over power thing, it would explain why your cache isn’t being populated. I’m glad you have a sane setup, but you’d be surprised what people think is acceptable.

As for the page based display stuff, we a page based system instead of an infinite scrolling pane because it allows us to sort horizontally, left to right, and then top to bottom. Infinite scrolling pane would force us to sort top to bottom, and then left to right. It feels wrong when it is sorted this way. We tried it, and it was universally hated.

Still talking to @Brian2 about the volume… it looks like there is a redesign of this in the works.

Danny, thanks, if you made the pane one vertical row wide, it would be sorted. At the moment it’s very diffecult to land on the right pane.

Hope you guys figure it out.