How Big Is Your Library

@brian

Hi Brian maybe a word of explanation why I started this.

Please see this

and

I have issues where classical compositions are missing, wrongly ID’ed etc. Very few other people seem to share this issue

My thought was that there are not many people affected as there were very few really big Classical Libraries as per mine and Tony’s

The few results back (not statistically valid ) seem to indicate this. Being a good scientist :rofl: I would like to base my thoughts on facts.

The issue I see seems to raise its head every now and then but doesn’t seem high on anyone’s agenda. As a Classical fan it is fast approaching a showstopper for Roon.

Unless I can reliably and easily navigate to a Classical Album or work I really will use Roon for Rock and general Info etc and continue with my previous JRiver system for classical . This you can imagine is not First Prize for me as I need to maintain 2 systems.

At first look Roon seemed to eliminate any manual maintenance of Composition, in my old system I have to populate Composition and Movement manually - not ideal and no mean feat to do in the first place.

I started this thread primarily to highlight the issue. You will see in the various other threads a level of frustration of classical users caused by this and several other issues. Eg the anonymous Disc 1 … Disc 112 of box sets . Sticking clear of Box Sets may be wise but in the classical music market place its simply not a going proposition. Sets like Beethoven Edition, Alfred Brendel Complete Phillips etc are very cost effective ways of building a library and indeed most classical collections I would guess are comprised of a lot of boxes , mine must be well over 200 without counting.

I am glad you responded so at least we can lodge the issue in the mind of of someone influential in Roon’s future development

Please don’t get me wrong, Roon is superb when you use it for single albums of Rock Jazz etc , but it definitely falls short for a Classical devotee. In my mind (biased of course) for Roon to succeed as a world class library management system it must offer the same level of excellence for all genres of music which ,to me, currently it doesn’t seem to.

It may well be that the users with big classical libraries out there are so few in number as not to influence the direction of feature development. Indeed it may also be that your background metadata providers do not provide good enough source to make Classical viable in the way Rock and Jazz are , I can only speculate.

Thanks for the “Open Ear”

Cheers

Mike