How Big Is Your Library

Hi Geoff

Never liked Statistics anyway.

Don’t get me wrong , a few of us highlighted ID issues with classical cds

I have around 3000 classical cds , which I groomed manually so I am well aware of the quality of classical metadata

I was expecting miracles BUT :stuck_out_tongue:

I was simply trying to get a handle on if I was alone in my suffering. I have found a few tricks to fix up errant cds

Most of my albums are ok now

Mike

I use MusicScope and look at every song I purchase. If you see a drop-off at 22KHz you can be pretty sure it’s just a CD. I would say 10-15% of files I get are just upsamples. Even DSDs.

A good site (like NativeDSD) will tell you what format the original source was recorded in. If it was recorded DSD64, it rarely makes sense to get the higher rez version. But some of those old analog recording (2xHD) sound awesome at DSD256.

In general I like DSD over PCM, as it just sounds better on my system. But the vast majority of my collection is PCM

Interesting. I got a trial version of MusicScope and put a few files through it. I’m surprised by the results. For example, from the same orchestra in fairly recent recordings, one recording drops off at about 22.05 kHz (update: see below), yet another goes up to 96.0 kHz. Roon itself says both recordings are FLAC 192kHz 24bit; but, as you suggest, maybe that’s only the present format, and the original recordings were “lesser,” especially the one that drops off at 22.05 kHz.

Is there any background on this kind of thing? Something I could research?

Update: My bad. The 22.05 kHz file was in fact ripped from a CD. I was confused by the 22.05 hHz and 96.0 kHz recordings having the same conductor, but orchestras were different, not to speak to time and method of recording. I should have checked the files more carefully. In fact, the files that are from the same (recent) source are both 96.0.

That said, I’m still interested in getting background on the topic.

I don’t know how much background there is. While many sites claim they look at every file (HDTracks), I have seen this type of thing from every vendor. If it is particularly egregious I will bring it to their attention. Some of the better sites (NativeDSD) will be very cool about it. Others don’t care.

I just purchased the new Ivan Fischer directly from Channel Classics in DSD256 and it’s clearly a DSD64 (sounds great though). But the ones that kill me are CDs masquerading as higher rate files. I will always complain about that.

Bottom line is that reissues of major label titles are a crap shoot. If it is a recent remaster, you have a better chance, but no guarantee.

NativeDSD is the most honest group of guys I have dealt with. Also never had an issue with 2L, Hyperion, Linn or Channel.