How Big Is Your Library

That I serious dedication… I thought I was Dedicated

Mike

1 Like

The joy of Roon is that even if the split CUE metadata is a bit wanting, if Roon is able to ID the album it doesn’t matter as you won’t see it

Mike

Thanks. I have some pdf files associated with downloads that I have purchased and I can easily zoom in on them. Makes it easy to read. I’m not sure I know how or want to convert the 20,000+ front and back covers of LP’s that I have scanned from jpeg to pdf. It looks like Roon doesn’t look at pdf files to see whether there is cover art included. I’m guessing it isn’t smart enough to know what is cover art vs. other pictures or text in the pdf files.

A quick search turned up lots of programs to make the conversion. In your case, a program allowing batch conversion would be needed.

I hadn’t thought of this before, but the .pdf capability of Roon is an easy way to keep notes – indeed, all manner of things – about an album.

Thanks. I’ll take a look. Appears that I need to keep the original jpeg files to have Roon read the cover art, and convert the liner notes to pdf so I can enlarge them.

2290 albums, but many box sets (45k tracks). 10% unidentified, usually older classical recordings from the 80s.

My Roon experience (say with radio especially) is completely different between jazz and classical: jazz is a delight, but classical challenging. In my case, our classical collection spreads somewhat equally between medieval and modern, so we care less about identifying pieces the same way (because we don’t listen that way, though we have some unsurprising duplicates, like Beethoven of Brahms symphonies), but rather by style, period, or affect.

I still don’t know that best [Roon] way to organize in a fashion that informs radio in a sensible way. I wish that it were possible to start with a concerted early 17th C piece (for example. or Perotin organum), and branch out sensibly (eg Mahler lieder not a logical next step). This contrasts with starting with a Dave Pell recording (just for example), and radio picks interesting, relevant tracks, branching out a little but not too far.

2018-02-17 09_53_23-Roon

I have found Radio “wandering” through my Jazz collection quite logical , it occasionally puts a “fast one” into a smooth jazz run but not too often. Rock much the same.

Classical however is a lot more hit and miss, I suspect because “classical is classical” a Piano Bagatelle and Beethoven’s 9th are both classical aren’t they, unless there is more detailed genre separation and differentiation its likely to follow on with “howlers” like this

I rarely use radio for classical, I tend to use in when cooking and eating where the music is “background” not serious listening

Mike

About 60.000 individual tracks. Unsure about number of albums, as i just switched to Roon - and kind of want to start “fresh” by not adding everything at the same time. Most of it is electronic and jazz, but when i started out collecting i only listened to prog-rock and metal.

1 Like

85k tracks, around half of that is Tidal now (and growing fast).

Kaskade and Keith Jarrett in that screenshot gives a sample of my wide love/appreciation for all types of music.

Despite learning classical (piano) as a kid, I don’t listen to much these days but I still have a great appreciation when I do bump into a great classical piece.

According to Roon:
66,355 Albums
300,997 Tracks
3.7Tb on a Synology NAS

60% Soul
20% R&B
10% Reggae
5% Classical
5% Rock/Pop/Other

I was a DJ for many years and have a huge Vinyl and CD collection.

New to Roon to try to make sense of it all…

2 Likes

:+1: feel free to drop in on my thread below Gary and share some of your favourite selections

1 Like

4740 Albums
53000 Tracks

8839 Albums
183085 Tracks
3055 Artists

(No Tidal)

Thanks Roon!

1625 Albums.
21705 Tracks.
656 Artists.

41% Pop/Rock
38% Electronic
8% International
5% Classical
5% Jazz

I’m already kind of overwhelmed by the size of my library. I don’t know how some people handle 8000 albums…

Darn…

8451D624-9A3D-4CE2-88FE-2630C7156E23

4 Likes

I’m a new Rooner (Roonie? Roonster? Middle-Aged Music Enthusiast?), and Roon has really reinvigorated my listening, browing and learning. I’m pretty psyched about it.

173684 Tracks

1 Like

5,459 Albums
72,731 Tracks
2,217 Artists

Bit concerned about my 4600 “Other” albums…?!

1 Like

:grin: Don’t be … roon thinks more than 6 (+ the “other”) genre entries would be to much for the :pie: chart and maybe that’s right. When you click on the chart you’ll see all the other genres too … and you can check if they’ll sum up to 4,600. :sunglasses:

Thanks for all the replies

The initial reason for the thread other than interest was to see how many big classical collections were out there and if that was a low number it may explain why the moaning about some aspects limited to classical music was at such a low level

The replies so far explain a lot , if they are representative .

My view was that jazz rock folk etc were covered well by Roon metadata where classical lagged behind

I see only a small number of classical > 50% , lots in the single figures which confirms my suspicion.

That said classical forms a big part of the user experience and deserves more attention ( imho)

Mike

1 Like

This is the internet - they may not be :grin: Probably what is more a factor is that tackling Classical metadata properly is a bigger challenge than other genres? And the impression that it is not deserving sufficient attention may not necessarily be warranted?