How can connect these two devices to each other?

I have an older Oppo DVD player that I no longer use. Because it has SACD capability, I’d like to be able to connect it to my audio system.

My core is a Nucleus and I’m thinking that it may accept the output from the Oppo, but I’m not sure how it should be connected. The HDMI ports on both units are labeled as outputs. There is a USB 2.0 port on the Oppo but I’m not sure if it’s an input or an output.

I’m posting images of both rear panels in the hopes that someone here can tell me if and how these units can be connected to one another.

Nucleus:

Oppo BDP-93:

Thanks for any help you can give me!

The USB ports are for playback from attached drives, not music servers. I don’t see any inputs on the OPPO or any way for it to connect to the Nucleus. The newer models have inputs to allow it to be used as a pre-amp, this one doesn’t.

1 Like

As far as I know there is no way to input CD players or other “players” devices into the Nucleus or Roon. Just the files and the streaming services they support.

Look here for a suggestion someone entered for CD playback:

I think if you want to play your SACDs on your Oppo to your audio system you will need to use the Optical or Coax and directly connect it to your receiver or DAC.

Again AFAIK, Oppo didn’t start addressing Roon until two generations after the BDP-93 with the BDP-203 if I remember correctly. I have the BDP-103 and the UDP-203. The UDP-205 has a DAC and is Roon Ready BTW.

1 Like

Well, it’s good to finally have an answer. :blush:

2 Likes

Weren’t the only way to get SACD output (at least at SACD quality) through analog output only as well?

I hope that question wasn’t for me. :thinking:

No, just a general recollection that back in the days when they were actually selling SACDs they really did not want to allow high-resolution digital output from any SACD player, only analog (although there might have been some that would output over FireWire or something equally obscure). Which, of course, while making ripping SACDs quite painful (it’s still doable, of course, but you have to jump through many hoops) also means that integrating a SACD player into a modern digital audio system (at SACD quality, such as it is) is nigh impossible…

2 Likes

That’s exactly the reason I wanted to connect the Oppo to my Nucleus – so that I could rip SACDs to its internal hard drive.

That won’t work, I am afraid. THe only way to rip original data from SACDs that I have seen anywhere is to find one of the special BluRay players with specific versions of firmware, install some software, play the disk, and intercept raw data over the network. And you have to chop it into correct tracks, too.

You can check here for a guide… IMHO, unless you have hundreds of SACDs it’s not worth the trouble.

1 Like

I really appreciate all your help.

Even if I had one of those types of BlueRay players, the steps involved to rip my handful of SACDs would be way too technical for me.

That’s what I thought.

If it were a large collection of carefully curated excellently mastered disks that’d be one thing. It’s not like SACD even necessarily sounds better just by virtues of being a SACD.

Probably easier, alas, to just get a high resolution version (if it really is better than CD) again from one of the places offering digital copies for download.

1 Like

Perhaps this extension will make your wish possible… I have no experience with it, so I am just guessing.

1 Like

Thanks but when I see terms like Entrypoints and Gateways, my eyes glaze over. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

3 Likes

Sell your SACDs on e-bay or Roon Forum, and use the money to buy hi-res downloads of the ones you really want. Much easier!

2 Likes

Lol …I would buy them to add to my ever increasing physical Media collection :wink:

1 Like

I’d be right back where I started because I’d have no idea how to download Hi Res files onto my Nucleus. :laughing:

1 Like

I probably shouldn’t say so on a Roon forum, but I have no idea why people who aren’t professional audio installers buy the Nucleus. Why not use the computer you’re familiar with?

Edit: Well, OK, it does look cool.

Edit 2: It would look even cooler if it had VU meters on the front!

If I were a professional audio installer I would have been content just continuing to use my MacBook Air as my core, but because I’m digitally challenged, I like all of this to be as plug and play as possible and that’s what I got when I switched to the Nucleus. I never have to think about my core anymore and that’s what I was going for with the Nucleus.

1 Like

I don’t have a Nucleus, but I imagine that if you have managed to get your pre-existing collection onto it, transferring downloaded files, hi-rez or not, would be exactly the same process.

I’ve ripped only about 20 standard RedBook CD to the Nucleus using a cheapo CD drive that plugs into its USB port. The vast majority of the music I listen to is from Qobuz via Roon.